Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,652 times

Advertisements

Nope. Just started grad school so I'll be here for another two years at least. I waffle on if I will end up going somewhere else in the future, but I am quite comfortable and happy here in DC for the long haul.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 04:55 PM

585 posts, read 2,014,864 times
Might be able to get my first month's rent free in Richmond so I can't get out soon enough. As I've said before, nothing against DC - love what I gained from living here (despite the absolutely insane, ridiculous cost of living), glad I made the decision to move here from California, blah blah blah... but dang, I'll take a free month of rent. I'll also take twice the square footage for the same price I'm paying here. My DC unit was snapped up within 24 hours of me sending my landlady a text to say I was out so I don't feel bad about leaving, even if I am leaving behind a GREAT find in this city for what I pay (who wants to put money on the gentrifiers invading EOTR in the next couple years and changing that?).

Got stuck in a bad traffic jam at noon today going north on 295... why, you ask? Because people were STARING at a cop standing on the on ramp doing NOTHING. No accident, no traffic redirection, no cones - STARING. That drives me nuts. People here act like they've never seen someone changing a flat tire before, do we really need to stop and stare and hold up EVERYONE ELSE? Give me a break. It's neverending and you can't predict it - it takes 45 minutes to get 4 miles across the city, and you can't plan for it, you just have to hope you don't hit it.

Like I said... not bitter and am glad my work will still bring me up this way as needed but I'm over it after just two years. Loved being here, love the connections I've made, love what living here has done for my professional life but it just isn't worth the insane rents and horrible - I mean HORRIBLE - traffic. The area is clearly overpopulated and getting worse by the day.

Not counting on Richmond to solve all my problems and be Utopia but it'll sure beat getting stuck in a random midnight traffic jam on 50. That goes a long way to making one happy in one's surroundings.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:37 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,633,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsh56 View Post
I have no desire to live in the city-proper of DC. I like the metro area the only other place I'd live outside of this area is SoCal and that's it.

Also:

This is the OP:
//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...ay-future.html

This is why everyone laughs and pokes fun at the American education system and Americans like him.
DAAAMN. I guess I am making a mistake of my life by attending a non Ivy league, regular public school. People who say this are usually the least educated ones to begin with. OP should def move to Oregon.

Old 08-18-2012, 09:28 AM

161 posts, read 394,896 times
Ideally, I'd live in at least one more area before I settle down but for now DC is where the jobs are at...sooo I see myself here for at least another year or two.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:25 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,895,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Not counting on Richmond to solve all my problems and be Utopia but it'll sure beat getting stuck in a random midnight traffic jam on 50. That goes a long way to making one happy in one's surroundings.
Richmond is a great town and definitely on the up and up.

Anyway, I found out yesterday that I might be heading onto Portland Oregon. Not that I totally hate the DC area, just that I want to live in a different part of the country and experience something new and Portland is like a 180 from DC. Totally chill

Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times

Dream of the 90s - Portlandia on IFC - YouTube

Old 08-18-2012, 12:23 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,633,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Completely accurate, not even joking.

Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM

218 posts, read 362,337 times
Yep, I'm planning on leaving next year.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,544,730 times
The D.C. Metro region has a population of nearly six million people. Only five of those people are unhappy in D.C. and they, coincidentally, post frequently in this sub-forum.

Whenever you see a negative opinion being expressed here about D.C. it is important to remember that these opinions should not matter as they represent the viewpoints of less than 0.0005% of the people in the D.C. region.

The other 99.9995% of D.C. area residents clearly love D.C. (You can tell by all of the friendliness and smiles you encounter everyday in the District.)

Old 08-18-2012, 04:30 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabunnies View Post
Might be able to get my first month's rent free in Richmond so I can't get out soon enough. As I've said before, nothing against DC - love what I gained from living here (despite the absolutely insane, ridiculous cost of living), glad I made the decision to move here from California, blah blah blah... but dang, I'll take a free month of rent. I'll also take twice the square footage for the same price I'm paying here. My DC unit was snapped up within 24 hours of me sending my landlady a text to say I was out so I don't feel bad about leaving, even if I am leaving behind a GREAT find in this city for what I pay (who wants to put money on the gentrifiers invading EOTR in the next couple years and changing that?).

Got stuck in a bad traffic jam at noon today going north on 295... why, you ask? Because people were STARING at a cop standing on the on ramp doing NOTHING. No accident, no traffic redirection, no cones - STARING. That drives me nuts. People here act like they've never seen someone changing a flat tire before, do we really need to stop and stare and hold up EVERYONE ELSE? Give me a break. It's neverending and you can't predict it - it takes 45 minutes to get 4 miles across the city, and you can't plan for it, you just have to hope you don't hit it.

Like I said... not bitter and am glad my work will still bring me up this way as needed but I'm over it after just two years. Loved being here, love the connections I've made, love what living here has done for my professional life but it just isn't worth the insane rents and horrible - I mean HORRIBLE - traffic. The area is clearly overpopulated and getting worse by the day.

DC's cost of living isn't insane, just slightly too high since it doesn't offer enough to find it worthwhile. Come to NYC and tell me how expensive DC is in comparison (hint: it looks cheap compared to NYC), but I'm not complaining here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC