Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 06:28 AM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,715,707 times

Advertisements

anywhoooo, what are the prices looking like on condo's in SW? I am interested in buying one over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 07:50 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heartbreak Kid View Post
anywhoooo, what are the prices looking like on condo's in SW? I am interested in buying one over there.
1 bedroom units start at $120K and go up the mid $200s. 2 bedroom units start at $185K and go up to the mid $300s.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM

48 posts, read 87,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
1 bedroom units start at $120K and go up the mid $200s. 2 bedroom units start at $185K and go up to the mid $300s.
Where can you find 1 bedrooms for 120 or 2 bedrooms for 185? Not being combative... I'm honestly curious. If these prices are real I would be buying. What are the condo fees?

Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I gave a comprehensive assessment of both areas (including safety), which I thought was appropriate for someone who's probably not very familiar with the city. If the OP only wanted to know about crime and grocery stores, he could have easily found what he was looking for through a Google search.

When I made the comment about hanging up clothes, I specifically had Syphax in mind. Yes, you do see this.

Washington, DC - Google Maps

West of 3rd Street/South of M is a nicer part of SW, but that's still only one, max two blocks away from the Greenleaf projects. And those projects have a lot of units. While I don't think of that area as being particularly rough, I would rather not live near projects if I didn't have to.

The Capitol Park Towers are between 3rd and Half Street, right? And they're directly across the street from housing projects.

Washington, DC - Google Maps

And I never said that someone living in SW would be "marooned on the other side of the projects," whatever that means. I said that there's a high concentration of projects in the area--an area that's not really that large after all. You're not going to be that far from the PJs in SW, and overall, that area has many, many more public housing units than Bloomingdale. That tiny area has at least 600 units of low-income housing. Easy.

There are projects at 3rd and I. Did they tear them down in the last month?

One of the reasons why I know so much about DC is because my dad's whole side of the family lives there. My cousin went to Bunker Hill for elementary school, then to Jefferson for a year, then to Deal, then to Banneker, and is now in college in California. Her mother grew up in Southwest, went to Wilson for high school, and then Howard. I have so many friends and family born and raised in the District and I have never once heard anybody refer to the Wharf as "the fish market." That sounds like something someone from Seattle would call it.

Yes, the neighborhood is changing. It's called gentrification. But like I said, Bloomingdale is farther along in the process than Southwest. There's a stroller mom mafia there now.

Did you just move to DC last year? The block in front of the Howard Theater has been completely transformed. Your elderly suburbanite parents would be better off walking in front of the Howard Theater than the Syphax Gardens.
That picture of clothes hanging up isn’t Syphax it’s Greenleaf Gardens. Many public housing projects offer clotheslines. I don’t see how that’s a detractor as far as safety/housing choice. If my current residence in NOMA offered clotheslines I’d probably use them. It’s better for your clothes than machine drying.
I don’t see the difference in living near projects as opposed to living near places with Section 8 vouchers actually in my opinion it might be safer to be near the projects especially the lower crime ones in SW. Specifically, projects that are on the lower end of the project crime levels might actual be better than non-projects in terms of deterring crime. There is less anonymity in the projects. There are also consequences of crime for project residents i.e. losing your housing where there are none for those outside of projects. Projects also have an increased police presence (not just the station on Delaware Ave) but also the Housing Authority and more active MPD patrols. They also have gov’t workers there frequently (mowing the lawns etc), whose presence I would argue decreases crime. Random rowhouses with random tenants are to me more of a threat than established housing projects like Greenleaf Gardens where the residents are known well by law enforcement and that are more thoroughly policed.
Also, while Bloomingdale is low on projects, it is near several projects/section 8 communities, R Street, Brookland Manor, Kelly Miller, Edgewood etc. Many of these communities are a lot rougher than anything SW has to offer and I wouldn’t think Bloomingdale residents are entirely insulated from the over-spill of crime. Brookland Manor is off the hook.

And as a lifelong DC resident except for college, I’d rather walk through Syphax Gardens than past the recently renovated Howard Theater and its adjoining blocks. A lot of those blocks off Florida were major crack corners. Syphax Gardens these days isn’t anything but a community people walk through on the way to the Nat’s game.

Last but not least, there has been a stroller mafia in SW for the last 50 years east of 3rd Street. That is a recent occurrence in Bloomingdale. Even when parts of SW were terrible 20 years ago, there was still always the good part. The dog park at Harbor Square has been up and running since I could walk and I’m 30. I wouldn’t imagine Bloomingdale had any such thing before 2000. I didn’t grow up in Bloomingdale but I spent a lot of time there growing up as my school friends etc. lived over there. Like I said my friend’s uncle was the one who did the murder in the liquor store (now cleaners).
To each it’s own. But I don’t fear for my elderly parents in SW and they walk that neighborhood every day. I would worry more about them in Bloomingdale. But we can agree to disagree.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:02 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadyitc View Post
That picture of clothes hanging up isn’t Syphax it’s Greenleaf Gardens. Many public housing projects offer clotheslines. I don’t see how that’s a detractor as far as safety/housing choice. If my current residence in NOMA offered clotheslines I’d probably use them. It’s better for your clothes than machine drying.
I don’t see the difference in living near projects as opposed to living near places with Section 8 vouchers actually in my opinion it might be safer to be near the projects especially the lower crime ones in SW. Specifically, projects that are on the lower end of the project crime levels might actual be better than non-projects in terms of deterring crime. There is less anonymity in the projects. There are also consequences of crime for project residents i.e. losing your housing where there are none for those outside of projects. Projects also have an increased police presence (not just the station on Delaware Ave) but also the Housing Authority and more active MPD patrols. They also have gov’t workers there frequently (mowing the lawns etc), whose presence I would argue decreases crime. Random rowhouses with random tenants are to me more of a threat than established housing projects like Greenleaf Gardens where the residents are known well by law enforcement and that are more thoroughly policed.
Also, while Bloomingdale is low on projects, it is near several projects/section 8 communities, R Street, Brookland Manor, Kelly Miller, Edgewood etc. Many of these communities are a lot rougher than anything SW has to offer and I wouldn’t think Bloomingdale residents are entirely insulated from the over-spill of crime. Brookland Manor is off the hook.

And as a lifelong DC resident except for college, I’d rather walk through Syphax Gardens than past the recently renovated Howard Theater and its adjoining blocks. A lot of those blocks off Florida were major crack corners. Syphax Gardens these days isn’t anything but a community people walk through on the way to the Nat’s game.

Last but not least, there has been a stroller mafia in SW for the last 50 years east of 3rd Street. That is a recent occurrence in Bloomingdale. Even when parts of SW were terrible 20 years ago, there was still always the good part. The dog park at Harbor Square has been up and running since I could walk and I’m 30. I wouldn’t imagine Bloomingdale had any such thing before 2000. I didn’t grow up in Bloomingdale but I spent a lot of time there growing up as my school friends etc. lived over there. Like I said my friend’s uncle was the one who did the murder in the liquor store (now cleaners).
To each it’s own. But I don’t fear for my elderly parents in SW and they walk that neighborhood every day. I would worry more about them in Bloomingdale. But we can agree to disagree.
Is there any reason you chose to write your post in 6-point Times New Roman font? Anyway...

You're making the assumption that a neighborhood won't have people with Section 8 vouchers living in rowhomes if that neighborhood already has projects. That's a poor assumption. There's no reason why you can't have low income people living in projects and rowhouses. If anything, you're less likely to have people renting out rowhouses to Section 8 tenants in Bloomingdale because you can command a higher rent there.

And the idea that living in projects deters crime is laughable on its face. Try telling that to the residents of the Marcy, Queensbridge, Sumner, Brownsville, Roosevelt, Saratoga, and Albany Projects. That statement alone is so ridiculous that the rest of your post is not even worth expending finger strength on.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Is there any reason you chose to write your post in 6-point Times New Roman font? Anyway...

You're making the assumption that a neighborhood won't have people with Section 8 vouchers living in rowhomes if that neighborhood already has projects. That's a poor assumption. There's no reason why you can't have low income people living in projects and rowhouses. If anything, you're less likely to have people renting out rowhouses to Section 8 tenants in Bloomingdale because you can command a higher rent there.

And the idea that living in projects deters crime is laughable on its face. Try telling that to the residents of the Marcy, Queensbridge, Sumner, Brownsville, Roosevelt, Saratoga, and Albany Projects. That statement alone is so ridiculous that the rest of your post is not even worth expending finger strength on.
We are talking about the relatively low crime projects in SW. I never mentioned Marcy, Queensbridge, Sumner, Brownsville, Roosevelt, Saratoga, and Albany Projects way to frame the argument around a completely incongruous set of facts. Leave it to a NYer to not be able to talk about anything without bringing up NY. That poor attempt at winning an argument alone is so ridiculous that the rest of your post is not even worth expending finger strength on.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:26 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
Quote:
Where can you find 1 bedrooms for 120 or 2 bedrooms for 185? Not being combative... I'm honestly curious. If these prices are real I would be buying. What are the condo fees?
Studio listed at $104k. Monthly co-op fee $390 (includes taxes and utilities)
1311 DELAWARE Ave SOUTHWEST Unit S145, WASHINGTON, DC 20024 | MLS# DC7818891

1 bd listed at $165. Monthly co-op fee $575 (includes taxes and utilities)
http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/520-N-St-SW-20024/unit-S217/home/40473276

2 bd listed at $185. Monthly co-op fee $719 (includes taxes and utilities)
1311 DELAWARE Ave SOUTHWEST Unit S537, WASHINGTON, DC 20024 | MLS# DC7883684

There were some 1bd units listed below $130K a month or so back, but they appear to be in escrow. Monthly co-op fees on those were under $600. Keep your eyes out for listings in the area because there are plenty of bargains to be had.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Studio listed at $104k. Monthly co-op fee $390 (includes taxes and utilities)
1311 DELAWARE Ave SOUTHWEST Unit S145, WASHINGTON, DC 20024 | MLS# DC7818891

1 bd listed at $165. Monthly co-op fee $575 (includes taxes and utilities)
520 N St SOUTHWEST Unit S217, WASHINGTON, DC 20024 | MLS# DC7911116

2 bd listed at $185. Monthly co-op fee $719 (includes taxes and utilities)
1311 DELAWARE Ave SOUTHWEST Unit S537, WASHINGTON, DC 20024 | MLS# DC7883684

There were some 1bd units listed below $130K a month or so back, but they appear to be in escrow. Monthly co-op fees on those were under $600. Keep your eyes out for listings in the area because there are plenty of bargains to be had.
Thanks! 1311 is that River Park?

Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
We are talking about the relatively low crime projects in SW. I never mentioned Marcy, Queensbridge, Sumner, Brownsville, Roosevelt, Saratoga, and Albany Projects way to frame the argument around a completely incongruous set of facts. Leave it to a NYer to not be able to talk about anything without bringing up NY. That poor attempt at winning an argument alone is so ridiculous that the rest of your post is not even worth expending finger strength on.
Your point was dumb. And it was a dumb point that would presumably apply to projects anywhere in the country. Why would the "greater anonymity" of the projects be a deterrent in SW projects but not a deterrent in the Magnolia Projects? If projects deterred crime, then it would be wiser policy to squeeze as many people into them rather than raze them (which is what's happening or has already happened in most cities).

Old 08-24-2012, 12:39 PM

lmao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC