Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:38 PM

144 posts, read 259,586 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I have to finally rant about this particular scene in DC. I can't hold back any longer after having paid $27 for lunch yesterday for what was basically a glass of water, a dried out stuffed chile, beet soup and leaks - yeah, that's it for 27 bucks.

Every time I dine in one of DC's restaurants and spend north of $25, I feel that I get such a marginal return. At the $50 level, I actually think the food gets worse!

How is it that DC restaurateurs think that they can charge NYC prices without the NYC quality? What makes them feel so ego-driven that they can demand that a group of 10 are limited to a set menu, or that a non-refundable down payment must be made in order to hold reservations?

I'm really sick of the DC restaurant scene - it's not hip or trendy or cool or anything of the sort. Just overpriced food. I mean really, how many damn times do I have to see "Truffle Mac n Cheese" on the menu, or truffled fries for instance - as though these were just invented yesterday. Or, how about all the "follower" restaurants that "specialize" in charcuterie - all of them charging and arm and a leg for something they get, for the most part, from big name purveyors? If I have to see another menu with an overpriced burger, "housemade" ketchup, fracking amish chicken (just taste like chicken dammit!) or another "asian-fusion" anything, I'm going to barf.

I recently read an article in the "express" (you know, the free newspaper they give out near metro stations) about how there are a growing number of DC restaurants opening one year, and then closing the next. I think that this is a very good thing - afterall, Darwinism isn't just for humans.

After yesterday's lunch, the culminating dissapointment of my experience dining in DC, I will now shame the following restaurants:

1. Vinoteca. Sorry that you guys got robbed a bunch of times, but that doesn't give you the right to charge $8 ($11 with tip and tax) for a 6" sandwich...that goes for the rest of your fare as well. And, whatever happened to your 1/2 price spanish wine deals on Sunday nights? By the way, when you have a group of 10 and you make them order $500 worth of food, that's shameful - damn you people!

2. Bibiana. Give me a break - I spent almost $75 for a dinner at your restaurant and wanted to get a slice of pizza afterwards. The size of your plating is meant for a mouse, and I'm not that big. By the way, for $75, we all should be thinking about the quality of your food the next day - we did not.

3. Central Michael Richard. Seriously, $30 (after tip and tax) for a lamb burger, fries and a coke? WTF?!?

4. Luke's Lobster. I don't even know where to start with you guys. Your lobster sandwiches are so tiny and expensive that only a rich midget would love to eat here.

5. 15 Ria. Holy fracking crud...what a disaster. As long as you guys sell enough restaurants.com gift certificates though, you'll be breaking even I suspect.

6. Tabard Inn. If it weren't for your charming atmosphere, you'd have gone down long time ago. Again, just another over priced restaurant, except with some class.

7. Cheff Geoff's. You minus well be a sports bar for what you serve.

Okay, well I can go on, but that's it for now. I will say, however, that the best restaurants I've come across so far are Belga Cafe, Rasika and Blue Duck Tavern.

Last edited by nasridian; 08-27-2012 at 01:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
Are you visiting or do you live in the area? Either way you should seek recommendations next time. Most those places you listed are where tourists who don't know any better end up. It's like any other major city there will be a lot of overpriced bad restaurants the closer to downtown you are but there are also a lot of good restaurants if you know where to go.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
I 100% agree with the last post. You hit up all the tourist places. It's like going to times square and expecting a good fairly priced meal.
Vinoteca isn't that touristy, but its a wine bar. I would never go there for the food.
Hit up yelp.com/dc and look at the restaurants that people from here like. There are tons of good places. There are also a ton of cheap great ethnic restaurants in the suburbs.

Of course, if you are constantly comparing the restaurants here to Nyc, DC will come up short.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:25 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
Are you visiting or do you live in the area? Either way you should seek recommendations next time. Most those places you listed are where tourists who don't know any better end up. It's like any other major city there will be a lot of overpriced bad restaurants the closer to downtown you are but there are also a lot of good restaurants if you know where to go.
Tourists regularly end up at Central? Who knew? Maybe the t-shirt and popcycle vendors should jack up their prices.

I thought it was an expense account place during lunch hours, a place to impress a date/spouse in the evening, and a pretty good place to eat (but, yeah, expensive). I don't think I've seen too many people there who I would quickly mark as tourists.

Seems to me the OP is feeling bitter about DC at the moment, but maybe the cognoscenti should provide some specific recommendations of good, non-touristy places. I assume the OP doesn't want to travel to the suburbs, as it's pretty well-known that there are some relatively good and inexpensive, and frequently ethnic, dining options there.

Last edited by JD984; 08-27-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Old 08-27-2012, 03:41 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
I think DC had a mediocre food scene 5 years ago, but I think the options and quality have improved tremendously since then.

Don't let those truffled fries, acting all original or whatever, get you down OP...

Old 08-27-2012, 05:18 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
It's funny, but on the NYC board people complain about the same thing. The more expensive restaurants have smaller proportions of food. Go figure.

Old 08-27-2012, 05:26 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,938,163 times
Why are you going to these upscale yuppie places then complaining about them? I usually hit up good decently priced cheap meals of all types and ethnicities in the suburbs. Going to a restaurant in the highest rent areas, they have to overcharge on food to make rent. Look up the Washingtonian site for Cheap Eats or Yelp

Old 08-27-2012, 06:57 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Tourists regularly end up at Central? Who knew? Maybe the t-shirt and popcycle vendors should jack up their prices.

I thought it was an expense account place during lunch hours, a place to impress a date/spouse in the evening, and a pretty good place to eat (but, yeah, expensive). I don't think I've seen too many people there who I would quickly mark as tourists.

Seems to me the OP is feeling bitter about DC at the moment, but maybe the cognoscenti should provide some specific recommendations of good, non-touristy places. I assume the OP doesn't want to travel to the suburbs, as it's pretty well-known that there are some relatively good and inexpensive, and frequently ethnic, dining options there.
I'll throw out two. Since OP sounds like a high-roller, he would get better value for his money if he made his way over to Acadiana and got the roasted duck entree. I tried it few weeks ago during Restaurant week and it was amazing. Probably the best duck I've ever tasted. My N'awlins friends have also given it their approval. A good cheap eat is to head up to FastGourmet inside the gas station on U-Street. Those cubanos are godly. God bless those Olivera brothers

Old 08-27-2012, 07:22 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bossman View Post
I'll throw out two. Since OP sounds like a high-roller, he would get better value for his money if he made his way over to Acadiana and got the roasted duck entree. I tried it few weeks ago during Restaurant week and it was amazing. Probably the best duck I've ever tasted. My N'awlins friends have also given it their approval. A good cheap eat is to head up to FastGourmet inside the gas station on U-Street. Those cubanos are godly. God bless those Olivera brothers
Wow - that menu at Acadiana looks good. I don't know if it interests the OP, but I want to try it now.

Another C-D poster tipped me off to Fast Gourmet a year or two ago. I can't handle the chivito (just too much stuff for a DC office worker) but the cubanos are right up my alley. BTW, it's at 14th and W, not U, isn't it?

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,287,065 times
Acadiana is by far the best expensive place in DC. Did brunch there once, simply great. But overall DC's restaurant scene is hit or miss. Some places are good, others absolutely terrible. Similar to most places but with a bit more of a lean towards "meh."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC