Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 10:59 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,702,947 times

Advertisements

Ashleymadison.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 11:03 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,702,947 times
Craigslist, Just check it out...

This is me, tonight.

I met a man tonight who invited me to join him for a steak dinner after having exchanged several pictures (recent ones). After five minutes of conversation, he abruptly got up, saying he had to use the restroom and walked right out of the restaurant without saying goodbye, offering an apology or any explanation. I was shocked then furious. I emailed demanding an apology but instead he told me that I had misrepresented myself, apparently physically. I had given my height at 5'7", said I had brown hair and indicated having a curvy figure. Anyway he saw all my pics. I am stumped. The attached picture is how I appeared this evening. Would you have walked out?

"Hey sexy, come on over here"

Older BBW not giving up

Old 09-11-2012, 01:44 AM

708 posts, read 1,202,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well you have to know people to go most of the things you mentioned. You can't just show up at someone's birthday party uninvited. The same goes for cookouts and graduation parties. It most definitely would apply to a pool party.

Hi I'm Terrence and I know you don't know me but it's kinda warm today and I wanna go swimming. Oh and tell the pretty blonde over there I wanna hookup after my lap around your pool. Thanks dude!
Host one yourself, shoot out invites. I am not an expert, but Ive found that having social skills and talking to people helps you meet more people.......not sure though.

I host a get together EVERY SUNDAY for football, a grill, some charcoal, and maybe 15$ of meat and 20$ of booze. Good times afternoons well spent and always some random people showing up.

If you have some cool coworkers at work, ask them to swing through, or better yet, ask them to bring some of their friends (see how this works).

The Bar scene is hard, but the grill/backyard scene is easy. Having food ALWAYS gurantees that some freeloading SOB will show up at your backyard.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
How about church?
Old people and young families. Yeah that's a real gold mine.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM

220 posts, read 545,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I don't understand how it is so hard to meet people in this city. How did you guys ever make friends in college?
Some reasons why it is easier in college-

1. I lived in a dorm, and all 4 years, but especially freshmen year, people would leave their doors open so that doormmates can drop by, people would hang around in the hallways, people would watch tv and socialize together in the shared lounges. In my neighborhood now, people don't really have interest in meeting the neighbors or hanging out outside. Also there aren't really many communal spaces (like shared lounges) to hang out with neighbors if you are interested in meeting the neighbors. Also while I'm happy to get to know people of all stages in life, it is easiest to bond with people around your age/in a similar position in life. In college you're living around people your age, while in my neighborhood now the next door neighbors include 1 retired couple and 1 couple married with kids.

2. In college classes most people are around your age/in a same place in life. Some people can work at a company with other people around your level, but if you're working in a smaller company or a company with few junior people or you just don't want to mix work and social life, it is harder to meet people.

3. In college we had an orientation week with both formal and informal events. Some people met their lifelong friends there, and even if you didn't, at least it served to get people comfortable with introducing themselves to others. If you move to DC from out of town, you don't have welcome parties and pre-planned trips around the city with other newcomers. Yes, you can get out and explore but you have to figure it out yourself (rather than having older students who plan out things for the new freshmen).

4. In college most people live on or near the campus (not true of all colleges but true if u went to the traditional residential type), so it's easier to meet up with people. Sometimes in DC you may meet people who are nice but they live way in the suburbs or in an area of DC that is difficult to get to if you don't have a car, plus people are more busy with adult lives, so it can be hard to arrange to meet up with people.

5. I've found that in college people were more willing to invite people they've just met to come to a party, come to dinner, study together, etc, while people seem less open to incorporating new people into their social circles once one is in mid to late 20s.

These are just my personal experiences, and I know others may have had differing experiences. My college wasn't even considered an especially social college, but I found that it didn't require all that much effort to meet people there.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:29 AM

8,012 posts, read 11,348,814 times
internet dating is kinda creepy and lame.
i like to flirt face to face to meet an
attractive woman.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:09 PM

832 posts, read 1,411,002 times
I just moved here about a year ago and am only now become somewhat interested in the dating scene.

On the plus side, the posters here give me hope that there are actual men in this town that don't have their heads up their ivy league a55es and are in my age range.

On the down side, it's the same old posters. And I am one of those pudgy female goverment workers who is too tired to doll up for work. You seem to loath the likes of me, and I am not in the ideal age range for a bit of one night fun.

I would like to say though, as a bit of hope to you single men on here... I DO see you in the grocery store and on the subway, and I can see that some of you want to approach, or are at least on the hunt. But you don't.

And if I can see it being generally oblivious to everything but that box of Lucky Charms I'm about to buy, so can other females.

So as others have said, do approach in random places. We realize it's hard for you and you will probably get shot down the majority of the time.

But if the females in this town are anything like females in other coastal towns, they will look like just your typical pudgy government worker. But the odds are they come from someplace more normal, are able to cook and enjoy a cheap beer with a burger and don't mind taking in your average Adam Sandler movie. They're pudgy because they go home and cook a Shephard's pie and secretly gorge on it for three days while grumbling about kids who have nothing better to do than hang out at the gym all day long and mock them for using the treadmill for only an hour.

This town is like every other big town I've lived in. Many live here, but few are from here. Keep that in mind on your approaches and you'll do just fine.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 PM

2,986 posts, read 4,553,538 times
lol, all of these guys scared to approach the SINGLE women but none of them are scared to approach my fiance when I'm not around

Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM

8,012 posts, read 11,348,814 times
i like bbw's (big black women)..

Old 09-18-2012, 06:00 PM

161 posts, read 393,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinghere View Post
I've found meetups that are for specific interests rather than general happy hour/party groups work best for me. It's easier to approach people when you know you have at least 1 common interest, and usually special interest groups are smaller and get more "regulars" than the larger groups. For example I've attended some volunteer meetups, as well as some meetups involving current event discussions. I've found stuff like like the general "happy hours and parties for 20s & 30s professionals" to be a bit too intimidating for me and that I generally didn't meet anyone I particularly clicked with at that type of meetup. (Of course this isn't to knock the happy hour/party meetups - I know they work for some people, just not for me.)
Same here! I actually went to one of their events recently - a happy hour just like what you said. Met a lot of nice people but at the end of the night didn't feel like I clicked with anyone really. People I wouldn't mind seeing again but honestly were not my cup of tea.

I preferred some of the meet ups more based on interests - a lot of the groups were smaller, so I felt like I got to know the few people there better. Although I haven't made any close new friends through there either, but at least we had a lot of common interests to talk about.

Oh well, just gotta keep getting out and meeting people - we'll find the right crowd eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC