Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM

74 posts, read 375,276 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have just had a job offer in DC which I need to respond to within a week. Frantically checking out housing areas and considering options. We are currently in Tampa.

The job right in the middle DC, World Bank area. Knowing the centre of DC a little, and prices, I'd expect to be commuting.

Priorities are a "reasonable" commute (1/2-1 hour if possible....), and a bit of breathing space. Probably would look to rent initially, then maybe buy in the same area if it all works out.

Have been looking at the Southern Alexandria area close to Fort Belvoir, but thats only because I've got some friends around there and know it a bit - am open to any other suggestions.

I'm thinking max rent around $3000 for 3/4 bed townhome or single family.

What safe family friendly commuter areas would you recommend in this price range? Do you think living near Belvoir is reasonable or too far? If the commute could be 1/2 hour, that'd be better - obviously I'd prefer easy access to public transport as I'm aware of the traffic.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:25 PM

2,679 posts, read 11,731,857 times
Belvoir is far and the commute would be a bear on the way back home. Better to live along the Metro. Don't rule out Bethesda or Rockville MD (Red line).

Look at the Traffic cameras around rush hour:

TrafficLand.com - Traffic Cameras, Traffic Video, Live Traffic Cams

Old 10-10-2007, 07:34 PM

116 posts, read 446,490 times
$3,000 a month can definitely rent you a 4 bedroom town house in the D.C. suburbs.

Belvoir would be a bad idea.

Traffic is horrible but driving is still usually faster than taking the metro, depending on where you live and where you work.

If you have to make any metro line changes you're probably better off driving.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniummd View Post
Belvoir is far and the commute would be a bear on the way back home. Better to live along the Metro. Don't rule out Bethesda or Rockville MD (Red line).

Look at the Traffic cameras around rush hour:

TrafficLand.com - Traffic Cameras, Traffic Video, Live Traffic Cams
Sounds like he can't afford to live in Bethesda. You could rent a 2 bedroom apartment in Bethesda for 3k a month though.

I'd suggest you live along the orange line in VA or the red line in MD.

Avoid the green line and anything South of D.C.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 9,877 times
Thumbs up First Things First!

I lived in Wash DC for over 20 years! I know the metro area (DC MD VA) like the back of my hand. Security is a serious issue in washington DC. Regardless of where you move in or around the District;

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-10-2007 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: advertising

Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpoffice View Post
I lived in Wash DC for over 20 years! I know the metro area (DC MD VA) like the back of my hand. Security is a serious issue in washington DC. Regardless of where you move in or around the District;
I'd suggest you live in Virginia and buy some guns.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-10-2007 at 08:59 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 07:16 AM

74 posts, read 379,122 times
I've been renting in Takoma Park, which has a metro stop on the red-line, for a little while. Its a very liberal area, but it is very family friendly and commuter friendly.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:04 AM

74 posts, read 375,276 times
Default Slight change of plan...

Thanks very much for the replies so far.

I just spoke with the company and its looking likely that I will probably have to move up there quite quickly to fill the position (end of month). As such, will probably initially aim to weekly commute between DC and Tampa for a period (portion of flight costs will be paid as part of relo package, as will a temp housing allowance).

I'm going up next week for a look.

As such, for the temporary period (which could well be up to 3-4 months...), my priorities will be a bit different. I'll be flying into Reagan probably on Mon morning, out on Friday night. Not so pretty, but not so different to my current US wide consulting job.

As such, what I am now looking for is a small furnished efficiency/studio type place which is either within walking distance of the world bank or an easy metro access and ride to Farragut West. I won't have a car. The temp housing allowance will be in the region of $1,500 a month, I'd rather not exceed it if possible.

Where would you suggest might fit this bill? "Safe" area still a factor but not so much as I'll be on my own - I'd just want to be where normal working middle class folks are without running up too much on Metro bills (so walking would be best if poss).

I hope to figure it out a bit next week, but any advice as to where I might start looking would be very welcome. Also, am I right in thinking the Farragut W to Reagan ride is about 20 mins? Of high priority will be making sure I get the right flights in on Mon morn and out on Fri evening.

Thanks!

Old 10-11-2007, 03:41 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,401 times
The Metro system has a website Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority where you can plan your trip, see maps, and find out how long travel anywhere in the system will take. It is a straight shot on the Blue Line from Farragut West to the airport and about 20 minutes (though time between trains will be longer in non-rush-hour periods). Housing downtown tends to be high-rises or townhouses.
I would suggest doing some reading on Craigslist DC in all housing categories (including temporary, sublets, and rooms). You may want to do something like take a hotel for a few days, so you can check some places out when you get to town. You can also post a "housing wanted" ad there. I did so once and got over a dozen responses. Be very specific about what you want and where you want to be. P.S. A lot of people share housing here (even members of Congress, according to the Wash Post), including to save $ on the high rents, and part-time tenants are desirable. I wouldn't rule out neighborhoods a few stops away on the Red Line--for example Cleveland Park and Woodley Park are nice areas; Dupont Circle is, too, although more urban and very diverse --may be walking distance to your work. With the Red Line, you change subway lines downtown to go to the airport.

Last edited by Tuneful; 10-11-2007 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: