U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 PM

8,451 posts, read 7,459,045 times

Advertisements

I've checked out the sticky thread regarding moving to DC but I figure I could probably get more specific information if I put out specific information.

My husband has an onsite interview at AU in next couple of weeks. I don't know ANYTHING about metro DC and honestly, it wasn't even on my radar until a couple of weeks ago!

I'll give hypothetical criteria: Husband's commute should be an hour or less. Monthly rent: $1850-$2000. I am looking to attend community college with a nursing program (LPN or RN). Since I am the primary caregiver, the community college needs to be close to home. I have a son with autism/add and he has an IEP... I need good public schools to meet his needs and the needs of my developmentally-typical child. We are pretty intellectual, but we're also quite frugal and pragmatically practical. I loathe conspicuous consumption, yet I appreciate quality in culture, language, food and art. We don't eat fancy meals right now, but we LOVE coffee shops and museums. A decent yoga studio would earn bonus points.

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 08:02 AM

9,134 posts, read 12,054,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I loathe conspicuous consumption,
This might not be the area for you. I think the DC-area is fantastic, but "conspicuous consumption" is very prevalent in the entire region.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 AM

5,117 posts, read 9,423,989 times
Sounds to me like you might want to be near the Silver Spring/Takoma Park campus of Montgomery College:

Takoma Park/Silver Spring*Campus

It's within an hour of AU. You should be able to find something (a small older house or an apartment) for rent in your price range, but it may take some perseverance.

Montgomery College has other campuses, but I couldn't tell if they also offered nursing courses. The TP/SS campus definitely does.

I hope this helps. I was tempted to ask what the difference is between "conspicuous consumption" and noting one's refined tastes, but perhaps that is best saved for another day.

Last edited by JD984; 11-21-2012 at 08:48 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 08:41 AM

2,067 posts, read 3,297,015 times
Post in the Maryland suburbs of DC forum. It is going to be extremely tough to find anything big enough to house a family in a safe neighborhood in DC proper at your budget range. The Maryland suburbs would be more convenient to get to AU than Northern Virginia, for the most part.

You probably will want to look in the suburbs anyway because you say public schools are important. DC public schools, particularly on the high school level, are notoriously bad for the most part.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Sounds to me like you might want to be near the Silver Spring/Takoma Park campus of Montgomery College:

Takoma Park/Silver Spring*Campus

It's within an hour of AU. You should be able to find something (a small older house or an apartment) for rent in your price range, but it may take some perseverance.

Montgomery College has other campuses, but I couldn't tell if they also offered nursing courses. The TP/SS campus definitely does.

I hope this helps. I was tempted to ask what the difference is between "conspicuous consumption" and noting one's refined tastes, but perhaps that is best saved for another day.

Thanks, I'll check it out!
And I can answer your question... Between my frugality ("that's just too expensive"), common sense ("Gee, I guess I really don't need cute shoes if my job is taking care of old people all day") and concern for environmental/labor/economic issues, I pretty much receive no great comfort from hanging out at the ULTA counter or getting a little trinket from the Pandora catalog. That said, when I do need a new sweater, dishwasher, or as it stands now, a yoga mat to replace my 6 year old disintegrating mat, I've found over the years that quality can matter. Any "refined taste" (which I wouldn't even claim to have) would be better described as appreciation for creative and intellectual qualities that I lack. I suck at music. I don't make cheese. I kill houseplants. The Krebs cycle is really hard to learn, etc.. The capacities others have for these things can be quite impressive and I value that. I enjoy History and Anthropology and some of the best of the best of human production have deep reflection of both (which is why I would LOVE to live near the Smithsonian!). I know I won't escape conspicuous consumption but I live on the Eastside of Seattle; I've learned to tolerate it.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,379,081 times
You might find that the people in Takoma Park share many of your values. It's well within your commuting distance.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM

274 posts, read 656,699 times
As much as the wealth is relative, so is the frugality.

It looks like you are in a very early stage of relocation and you probably don't even know what salary range your husband will be offered. As you learn more about the area and your new financial landscape, you will adjust your perspectives a bunch of times. I am not saying that the adjustment means an improvement, but it is more of a progress of life.

Quote:
I would LOVE to live near the Smithsonian!
Yes, when we visited here, I thought I would LOVE to live near the Smithsonian. Years later, I happened to find a job (also a professor job) and moved here. Fast forward... Alas, the dream of living near the Smithsonian came true but it was without an explicit effort. Obviously, the concept of "living near" was adjusted from "jogging to the Smithsonian" to "getting there by metro," but I find it perfectly fine.

That's what I call a progress of life.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:43 PM

Yes, I absolutely agree. We have friends (ex-Hollywood writer-turn-game executive) that self-describe as "frugal" despite their $1mil home and throwing outrageous (but admittedly, really fun) parties for each major American holiday. I also have another friend (a SAHM wife of graduate student) who carries her home dishes with her to picnics and potlucks and prefers reusable feminine hygiene products. She makes great yogurt.

Frugality for us, rather me, entails decorating the same $20 Target Christmas tree I bought 11 years ago for our first 1 bedroom apartment. It's making chicken stock, sweet breads, pizza dough and beans from scratch because it's cheap, better tasting and less packaging than store-bought. It's mostly abstaining from upgrading past our Ikea, Goodwill, and Grandma's Attic furniture. It's not replacing any of the heirloom and gifted jewelry I had stolen years ago. It's driving a 13 year old Echo. It's renting, or buying, well below our affordability. It's willingly continuing these practices (that once weren't so voluntary) despite having an income somewhere above the top 17-15% of American households. That said, I will have to compromise. When I start working full-time I will be required to adjust.. or maybe as you say, progress... I envision this to mean outsourcing house cleaning or meals.

We are pretty sure we'll have to relocate in the coming year but we don't know where yet. AU head hunted my husband and has been assertive with moving through the interviews. We don't know salary but we do know we'll absolutely turn down anything below $115k for the DC area, because that would be a substantial loss for us. Professors often don't make much, especially compared to what he makes now as a corporate director, but I've been told it's a senior faculty position and he'd be responsible for kick starting a new program. Perhaps it will be competitive enough. I don't really know though and honestly there are other institutions around the country we're looking at. I just wanted to get an idea of possibilities in DC given the circumstances of his interview. It would be an interesting opportunity/challenge for my husband as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequon View Post
As much as the wealth is relative, so is the frugality.

It looks like you are in a very early stage of relocation and you probably don't even know what salary range your husband will be offered. As you learn more about the area and your new financial landscape, you will adjust your perspectives a bunch of times. I am not saying that the adjustment means an improvement, but it is more of a progress of life.

Yes, when we visited here, I thought I would LOVE to live near the Smithsonian. Years later, I happened to find a job (also a professor job) and moved here. Fast forward... Alas, the dream of living near the Smithsonian came true but it was without an explicit effort. Obviously, the concept of "living near" was adjusted from "jogging to the Smithsonian" to "getting there by metro," but I find it perfectly fine.

That's what I call a progress of life.

Old 11-22-2012, 11:36 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,528,511 times
Quote:
My husband has an onsite interview at AU in next couple of weeks. I don't know ANYTHING about metro DC and honestly, it wasn't even on my radar until a couple of weeks ago!

I'll give hypothetical criteria: Husband's commute should be an hour or less. Monthly rent: $1850-$2000. I am looking to attend community college with a nursing program (LPN or RN). Since I am the primary caregiver, the community college needs to be close to home. I have a son with autism/add and he has an IEP... I need good public schools to meet his needs and the needs of my developmentally-typical child. We are pretty intellectual, but we're also quite frugal and pragmatically practical. I loathe conspicuous consumption, yet I appreciate quality in culture, language, food and art. We don't eat fancy meals right now, but we LOVE coffee shops and museums. A decent yoga studio would earn bonus points.
I'm an AU Grad student, so I can try to help. Is your husband looking to drive or take the metro?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm an AU Grad student, so I can try to help. Is your husband looking to drive or take the metro?
Oh cool, thanks for any help! He would probably do what's easier or cheaper... I tried looking at the metro map to see how far out it runs (especially into Maryland), but I'm too unfamiliar with the area to gauge. His current commute is an hour and he also has the option of company bus or driving. He was evenly split between the two until a recent office transfer.

So on a related, but different topic, I understand that each department is different, but how do you like the faculty you work with? Do you think they each get along well each other and/or with administrators? Are they happy and content with the institution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC