Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times

Advertisements

I am searching for a home in an up and coming neighborhood in DC. I am completely overwhelmed by how fast the market is moving here. I'd like a 2-4 bedroom rowhouse with parking. I have about 650,000 to spend.

What's your opinion? Where can I get a good deal in an up and coming neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSingle View Post
I am searching for a home in an up and coming neighborhood in DC. I am completely overwhelmed by how fast the market is moving here. I'd like a 2-4 bedroom rowhouse with parking. I have about 650,000 to spend.

What's your opinion? Where can I get a good deal in an up and coming neighborhood?
You can get a rowhouse at that price in Petworth, LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale - all "up and coming" but none undiscovered, either.

Old 11-26-2012, 01:46 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
get the sunday paper.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:14 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,934,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
You can get a rowhouse at that price in Petworth, LeDroit Park, Bloomingdale - all "up and coming" but none undiscovered, either.
There is no way I would spend that kind of money for any of those areas listed-

$650,000 would buy you a whole lot of room outside of the city, are you sure that is where you want to be?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM

999 posts, read 2,011,187 times
I smell a flipper here. I keep hearing stories of property flippers infiltrating DC neighborhoods lately. They are targeting the "up and coming" neighborhood avenues. Economy grows. Property values increase like crazy. Cash out and make a killer profit in 2 or 3 years. Party like it is 2006 all over again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCSingle View Post

Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,992,465 times
There's really no money in "flipping" unless you leave the area for a lower cost real estate market.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:04 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,458,827 times
The housing stock is so low right now, it's really hit or miss. I would set up an alert on Redfin and look at the houses on a case-by-case basis. Certainly focus in on some desired neighborhoods you are most interested in, but I would have completely missed my deal of a house in Shaw if I had not cast a wide net (I thought Shaw was above my price-point at the time).

As far as investment opportunity goes, I still think the very center of the city is still undervalued despite seeing values increase significantly the last 4 years. Mt. Vernon, Shaw and to a lesser degree LeDroit Park are seeing massive investment and development. To some extent, the housing prices are already reflecting the expected delivery of several billion dollars of projects over the next 3 years, but there is still the occasional deal in the $650k range. It's not just O Street Market and the Mariott Marquis - the entire 7th and 9th street commercial corridor is peppered with projects getting underway. So I think you'll see a significant appreciation on your investment in the next 2-3 years, even though there are other transitional neighborhoods with housing stock at lower price-points. The development here isn't speculative - financing is secure, permits are pulled and shovels are already in the ground.

Bloomingdale, especially around 1st and RI has some nice things going on. H Street NE is still a little rough, but that cluster of restaurant and bars is not going anywhere as far as I can tell. I have heard some grumbles from my friends in Petworth that they feel that progress has stalled out there; I have no idea if that's true. Eastern Market is another reach neighborhood, but I personally keep my eye out there too.

I have an awesome real estate agent team (husband and wife) who really know the up-and-coming neighborhoods if you are looking for some guidance. They worked with me for a year and through two bidding wars without any fees or contract (until closing of course).

Old 11-27-2012, 06:01 PM

28 posts, read 41,006 times
I would try Hill East aka the area just east of Capital Hill. Especially the are between Eastern Market and the Potomac Avenue metro stations...

Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM

228 posts, read 920,326 times
At $650K you can get a nice, restored rowhome in any of the neighborhoods mentioned. Bloomingdale would be great; Petworth is fine also. Brookland might be a little cheaper. Eastern Market is already fully gentrified and probably out of that price range.

If you are trying to get a "fixer upper" as an investment, $650K is really too much money for those neighborhoods. If there were fixer uppers in Shaw, Logan, or Eastern Market, they might go for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC