Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,923 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Bolling AFB this summer. We will have to live on base, so I am looking into charter and/or private school options for my three kids. They will be in Kindergarten, 5th grade, and 8th grade. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 10:56 AM

44 posts, read 114,506 times
Well if you go DCPS right near BAFB you have Leckie Elementary on MLK/Chesapeake and W.B. Patterson on S. Capitol Ter and Elmira. Closest middle school is Hart on Miss Ave I believe. Oh yes for rec activities you have the bald eagle at MLK/Joliet.

If driving isn't an option all the locations are right near bus stops.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,073,436 times
It's true that the crime rate in D.C. has dropped sharply and steadily, and many parts of the city that are N.W. of the Anacostia River are rapidly gentrifying.

But to be honest, the whole area within a 3-mile radius of Bolling AFB is a ghetto, and has been that way for decades. Using the neighborhood public schools is out of the question. A few positive resources nearby include "The ARC" http://www.thearcdc.org and also the Southeast Tennis and Learning Center (202) 645-6242. The city also opened a new public library on Atlantic Street near South Capitol Street.

This is a list of charter schools in D.C. http://projects.washingtonpost.com/d...s/charter/list

Here is a MAP of all charter school locations Yahoo! Local Search and in the search box type "Charter schools Washington DC" then keep scrolling down to get more listings.

You can ratings and statistics on all USA schools on these websites SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools and GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

Or, if you go more south from Bolling AFB out into the MD suburbs, the closest private schools (K-8) would include St. Columba, St. Ignatius, and National Church of God, which are all near the Beltway.

Last edited by slowlane3; 12-12-2012 at 04:27 PM..

Old 12-14-2012, 03:30 PM

270 posts, read 908,838 times
There are some kids from Bolling at Saint Mary's in Old Town Alexandria. It's pretty hard to get in there especially for the lower grades like K - 3 though, and it only goes K-8. About 1/2 the kids there end up at Bishop Ireton for high school and I know there were a couple kids from Bolling at BI, too. Saint Louis in Fairfax County isn't that much farther, and would seem within range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC