U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 AM

16,409 posts, read 28,974,146 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting for a weekend and was just wondering some things that I can do? I definitely want to see the Smithsonian Museum of Space and Aviation, but other than that there are really no definite plans. I am already planning on seeing the famous monuments too.

I guess I'm just looking for some recommendations on things to do/see that aren't part of the obvious must sees. I'll be staying in the Washington Plaza on Thomas Circle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,334,456 times
But here's some recommendation besides museums and memorials.

Neighborhoods:

If you want to get a feel of local DC and not "Washington, D.C.", I recommend visiting the following:

-Adams Morgan
(Red line to Woodley Park or Metrobus #42, 90, or 96)
The most popular nightlife district in the city, plenty of bars and lounges and gets crazy at night. You will see plenty of police and fights between 10pm and 4am. Visiting Adams Morgan during the day is fun as well.
Welcome to Adams Morgan Mainstreet Group
Adams Morgan - A Washington, DC Neighborhood
Adams Morgan Bars & Clubs - Bar DC - Washington DC Bars and DC Nightlife

-U Street NW
(Green/Yellow line to U street-Cardozo or Metrobus #52, 52, 54, 64, 90, 92, or 96)
Plenty of nightlife here as well but its a good place to check out during the day too. Be sure to visit Ben's Chili Bowl and the the Ethopian restaurants that are lined up and down this street.

-Mt. Pleasant
(Green/Yellow line to Columbia Heights or take Metrobus #42, H3, H4, or H8)
Mt. Pleasant is a historically Latino neighborhood... plenty of Hispanic culture here.

-Columbia Heights
Columbia Heights is probably the most diverse neighborhood in the whole city. Once you come out of the metro station you'll be surrounded by tons of retail and restaurants in either direction with some bars over on 11th street between Kenyan and Monroe st NW. Metrobuses #64 and H8 serve 11th street directly but you can always walk over 3 blocks from the metro station as well.

NY Times Article about 11th Street in Columbia Heights...
In Washington, D.C., Columbia Heights? Hip Strip - Slide Show - NYTimes.com

14th and Irving: dc - Google Maps
Park road between 14th and 16th: dc - Google Maps

-Barracks Row/Eastern Market:
Eastern Market
http://www.barracksrow.org/

Take the Orange/Blue line to Eastern Market or Metrobus #32, 34, 36, 90, or 92

H Street NE/Atla District

H Street NE | Washington, DC
Meet Me on H Street: A Guide to Nightlife in the Atlas District | Nightlife | Washingtonian
Get Here : ATLAS
Atlas District | AtlasDistrict.com - Washington DC's Arts and Entertainment District

Take Metrobus #90, 92, B2, X2, or X9

Old Town, Alexandria, VA

Take the Blue/Yellow line to King Street then board the free trolley in front of the station

Alexandria Hotels, Events, Things to Do & Restaurants | Alexandria VA
Old Town Alexandria - Walking Tour of Historic Alexandria, Virginia
Old Town Alexandria - Alexandria, VA

National Harbor, MD

Take the water taxi from Old Town Alexandria or take the Green line to Branch Ave and board Metrobus #NH1, it runs express from the station to the harbor.

Experience DC Waterfront at National Harbor | National Harbor
National Harbor – Waterfront Development on the Potomac River

Old 01-26-2013, 11:50 AM

16,409 posts, read 28,974,146 times
Also, any recommendations on getting from Dulles to my hotel at Thomas Circle?

Is there any subway or bus that would get me there? I don't want to pay for a cab or shuttle.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:29 PM

30,114 posts, read 30,369,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post

Is there any subway or bus that would get me there? I don't want to pay for a cab or shuttle.
Pay for the shuttle. Trust me.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:32 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,334,456 times
Quote:

Yeah the Metrobus #5A offers service from Dulles to Rosslyn and SW D.C.
Heres the schedule here: http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/dc/05a.pdf?n

I would recommend taking the 5A to Rosslyn station, board a DC bound Orange (New Carrollton) or Blue line (Largo Town Center) train and take it to McPherson Square. Exit through the 14th street entrance now the Vermont ave side. Once your out of the station all you have to do is walk 3-4 blocks north on 14th street to Thomas circle and you'll see the hotel.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM

22,950 posts, read 24,029,965 times
Quote:
I'll be visiting for a weekend and was just wondering some things that I can do? I definitely want to see the Smithsonian Museum of Space and Aviation, but other than that there are really no definite plans. I am already planning on seeing the famous monuments too.

I guess I'm just looking for some recommendations on things to do/see that aren't part of the obvious must sees. I'll be staying in the Washington Plaza on Thomas Circle.
You want the real deal? Well then, anything you've likely heard about in D.C. or have seen in travel sites is worth seeing. You will not come across any disappointments in this city. It gets an A+ for tourism all the way. I couldn't even tell you what to leave out. Even the "minor" stuff in D.C. would be considered major in most other cities.

My only recommendation is to come during the Cherry Blossom festival if you can. It will be extremely crowded during that time but worth it.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 01-26-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 05:53 PM

202 posts, read 472,732 times
I'd pay for a shuttle. And the mesuems take longer than a weekend to look at so.. should be plenty

Walk around the mall and check out the cool old buildings.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 PM

25,867 posts, read 38,037,267 times
Quote:

If you are looking to get into some nightlife, hit me up. I can steer you towards a couple of places on U St I recommend.

If you want to venture into VA I'd recommend the Arlington National Cemetery and having lunch or nightlife in Clarendon.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 PM

4,195 posts, read 6,141,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Exit through the 14th street entrance now the Vermont ave side.
He meant to say "not" the Vermont ave side.

Click here http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Columbia.html
to see a ranking in order of popularity, of the city's countless attractions.

Consider seeing the huge number of free Federal attractions first (including http://www.si.edu ), before paying admission to any private museums.

Your local public library or bookstore also probably has illustrated guidebooks of Washington.

Last edited by slowlane3; 01-26-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 PM

4,195 posts, read 6,141,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
You want the real deal? Well then, anything you've likely heard about in D.C. or have seen in travel sites is worth seeing. You will not come across any disappointments in this city. It gets an A+ for tourism all the way. I couldn't even tell you what to leave out.
I would say, the Aquarium in the Commerce Department is a disappointment and not worth the $10 charge. As is the new "National" Childrens Museum at National Harbour. And the National Geographic Explorers Hall, which was free for over 40 years, is too small to be worth the new $8 admission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC