U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2007, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 15,538 times

Advertisements

I am planning on moving to DC in Dec 2007 or Jan 2008. I am trying to understand the pros and cons of living in the beltway or living in DC. I am a single male, 25 yrs old have no children, I will be working at Bolling AFB, lastly I drive a 2003 Envoy (not great on gas but not bad either). I am not looking into purchasing a home just renting any advice or information anyone can provide me would be awesome. I like the city life but I'm open to what is obviously the soundest decision; to help further paint a picture my take home salary is around $6500 a month.

I had looked at these three establishments...

Avalon at Arlington Square
2350 26th Court South
Arlington, VA 22206

Avalon at Ballston Washington Towers
4650 North Washington Blvd
Arlington, VA 22201

Avalon at Cameron Court
2700 Williamsburg Street
Alexandria, VA 22314

Last edited by JETTER1982; 10-20-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: ADD
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 AM

I was also curious about the tax advantages/dis-advantages... Any information would be appreciated.

-R

Old 10-20-2007, 01:25 PM

2,481 posts, read 8,413,729 times
Pros: Lots of nightlife, lots of good looking people at the hangout joints, and your salary will be enough for you to live comfortably. Everything is like a 30 minute drive away which isn't bad considering "everything" includes internationally renown monuments and museums, other exciting cities (Baltimore), beautiful vineyards, and other great attractions.

Cons: Drivers here are pretty rude, there are a lot of strip malls at least in Northern Virginia which many might categorize as "cultureless". Up to you if that is even important to you, though. Oh and rent here is fairly high and owning a house usually requires two medium-high level incomes. People are generally less friendly (depending on where you come from) than people from small cities and towns. And as with all cities, crime rates in certain pockets around DC can be kind of scary.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:03 PM

Default Thanks for the information...

Just wanted to say thanks for the information I greatly appreciate you assisting me with this.

-R
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC