Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 PM

98 posts, read 297,679 times

Advertisements

wow...i have certainly come a long way since my very first post here! i was living in Arizona and posting about phoenix metro, then i came here to inquire about places to move to upon relocating to the DC metro area. my husband and i wound up moving to ballston/arlington. after staying there for two years, we decided we wanted more room and a kid-friendly, community-oriented neighborhood and moved to loudon county, 20165. excellent choice. beautiful townhome. much space and LOADS of wildlife! however, my husband and i decided to divorce (yay!) and i began my rental search closer to civilization. i didn't want to pay the $3200/mo like we did in ballston, so i tried DC proper, ONLY because my husband did some funky stuff to my credit that i wasn't aware of. i have certainly learned to be more diligent about my own affairs, no need to grill me on that. anyway, i found a great person leasing a condo in the anacostia area. it looks rough, the neighborhood, but it really isn't. the condo is beautiful and the rent is moderate. the place is all gated in, and the owner overlooked my credit due to our initial interview and my honesty. needless to say, i am single yet again, loving my new place, and things do work out.

let me just say this, anacostia is not nearly as rough as south phoenix, that's for sure. and it isn't nearly as grimy as detroit nor many places i have been to in new york. and i don't have a bug problem nor an apartment sans washer/dryer and upgrades while paying the same amount of rent as i would in alexandria and many other places in nova.

if your credit is screwed, but you have great references and a steady income, plus charm/realness to boot, you can go far in DC. just sayin'...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM

32 posts, read 37,541 times
Congrats. It's great to hear about other experiences with areas that most consider undesirable. I'm in the process of moving to the DC area, I don't have a 6 figure income so I was concern about housing prices in desirable areas....way too high (I'll be renting). But as I read threads about "good/bad" areas I'm learning more and more that those terms are very relative.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM

52 posts, read 121,680 times
South Phoenix is a joke compared to anacostia and PG county in general. I don't know what you are talking about, if you were coming from Detroit, I would completely understand.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:08 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times
its great to hear someone rebuilding their life. I think that embodies the best of "urban pioneering" - like someone in the 19th century heading to the frontier, you chose to go where others are afraid to, to start over again after problems "back east".

Are you close to the Anacostia metro, or in a different part of EOTR?

Old 03-05-2013, 12:15 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times
Pynkpanther, you might like reading this post //www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ast-river.html

Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,104,160 times
Glad things worked out for you. I'm from southern VA and want to move to DC to be closer to family, but reading these boards really turns me off sometimes. Nice to read a positive post!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:35 AM

98 posts, read 297,679 times
thanks for the well wishes! i am walking distance from anacostia metro. my building is very diverse and also includes a same sex married couple. nice post, slowlane3...i totally missed that one!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:05 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynkpanther View Post
thanks for the well wishes! i am walking distance from anacostia metro. my building is very diverse and also includes a same sex married couple. nice post, slowlane3...i totally missed that one!
Please stick around and keep us updated. A lot of us in the just-over-broke class would love to hear how Anacostia treats a newcomer since we are always looking for more affordable housing options.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times
When I moved from Palm Beach County FL I went directly to Montgomery County MD. I had to house share (affordability). While commuting I started looking into the Express Newspaper (free daily handout at the metro rail). I saw all the affordable apartments were in SW DC. I have heard nothing but awful things about this quadrant of DC. Well, because of the affordability, I moved there. I love it !!! I won't move anywhere else. I have been here for approximately 18 months and am now looking for a larger place. Also, within the past 18 months, I have seen lots of change (new building going on, influx of various races, etc... ) Personally, my children and I have had no issues. I would just say let your instincts 'kick in' when needed.

Actually, I feel safer here in SW then I did when I lived in Palm Beach County.... I LOVE it !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: