U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 PM

7 posts, read 14,696 times

Advertisements

Moving to DC in May/June timeframe to work at the Navy Yard. I lived for a bit in Quantico, but I have only visited DC a couple of times and I am not very familiar with the area. I will be coming with my wife and 2 y/o daughter, so I am looking for a safe place with good schools. I would like to avoid an insane commute, but safety is priority 1. We are unsure whether to rent or buy, but we would like to pay around 2000 for rent/mortgage. We would like a 3 bedrooms and 1200 sq ft, but I recognize we may have a give a little there. I am willing to ride the metro or drive, whichever gets me the shorter commute. I wouldn't mind a short walk to the train or a park-and-ride arrangement.

Can anyone recommend any good neighborhoods?

If I lived along the north end of the green line in Maryland, how long would the train ride be to the south end of the line? How are the neighborhoods north near Hyattsville/College Park?

Also regarding Maryland - are the taxes as bad as everyone says? What should I expect to pay in taxes beyond what I would pay in DC or Northern VA?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 03:26 PM

465 posts, read 846,022 times
3 bedroom for $2,000? That's...ambitious.

Navy Yard is a great place to work and live. You're coming at a good time when there is a ton of development.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:04 AM

8,875 posts, read 11,164,954 times
looking along the green line is an excellent idea, as its the most convenient way to get to Navy Yard from most places (leaving aside the places really really close in DC, which would not work for you) And the Hyattsville area makes more sense for someone in your position than the south end of the green line, or the neighborhoods in DC.

Some folk have issues with the schools in PG county. I am not familiar with those issues. If you are looking to rent, or are likely to be subject to being reassigned elsewhere, do you really need to worry about the schools? Your D won't be ready for them for about 3 years I guess. I don't know that I would rule out Hyattsville on account of the schools when you won't be locked in. If you definitely do not want to move again in 3 years, then of course you do need to look at the schools. I would suggest asking in the Md suburbs forum.

If that does not work for you, your next best bet at the price range you want is probably NoVa, which will mean a significant commute, whether by transit or car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC