Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:16 AM

12 posts, read 41,439 times

Advertisements

As a recent transplant to the area I want to say thanks to all on this forum for helping me gain some insight into the area. But, I now have a question of my own....

Since moving to DC I've been spending a fair amount of time canvasing different neighborhoods and regions of the district in an attempt to locate an area in which to rent. So far I've found most, but not all, neighborhoods wonderful and refreshing (as someone coming from a relatively new and sprawling nw city). The one thing I can't pin down is what and where the state of crime in this city is moving. I realize things are infinitely better than they were in recent history, but all the crime reports I pull show a steady and at times sharp increase in various criminal activities...but not all.

For the sake of this thread I really wanted to see if anyone had any insight into why robbery appears to be rising so rapidly while other forms of criminal activity (property theft/ assault) is on the decline or rising at much smaller rates? Is this truly the case or is it now just better reported? Is their any evidence or correlation between more recent economic uncertainty (housing) or changes in police policy/practice that could be driving this?

Again, maybe I'm way off base and missing the larger picture...which is why I'm turning to you all for some assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 11:47 AM

228 posts, read 917,173 times
I've lived in DC for 12 years. My perception is that after a long decline in the 1990's and early part of the decade, crime has become worse here during the last couple of years. Specifically, robbers are more brazen, going after victims in broad daylight, and (unfortunately) more violent. There are several instances of people being severely beaten after handing over their money. A third trend is that the criminal element is much younger - kids 14 and 15 often travel in packs during the summer and attack pedestrians for the fun of it.

That said, I've never been a crime victim here (knock on wood) and some of those who do get mugged engage in questionable behavior (wearing walkmans, not looking behind them every block, not crossing the street to avoid threats, etc).

As for reasons... well its part of a nationwide trend. The nation's attention has shifted from crime to terrorism, and resources for community policing are drying up. In DC I think you are also seeing blowback from high rates of incarceration during the last 10 years. A lot of people are getting out of prison as hardened criminals and are providing negative role models for the younger generation.

It's also impossible to discuss crime in DC without talking about how neighborhoods are changing. The level of crime in Georgetown or upper NW is not any worse than it was 10 years ago - essentially zero then and zero now. But more people (myself included) are moving into gentrifying fringe neighborhoods, where we provide easy targets for criminals. In addition, many of the teenage kids really dislike their wealthy new neighbors, and will go after them for that reason alone.

I guess that's my 2cents. I wish I could say with confidence that DC is just going through some sort of short-term phase, but I'm not sure. The one thing that would really help would be tearing down as much low income housing as possible. The vast majority of crime occurs in (or emanates from) these projects. Anthony Williams made a good start, but I'm not sure if Fenty is following through.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,072,349 times
You have to understand that a lot of us have seen DC in good and bad times, and our perceptions are often shaped by some of the things we've seen. I've been in and out more or less for nearly 20 years, and I now see houses with granite counter tops and sunken jacuzzis that I remember were once filled with crack addicts and hookers. I was here when a Congressman was mugged on the steps of the Supreme Court, and I now see streets (like Barracks Row) that are so inviting I want to invest (actually kicking myself that I didn't).

But don't take our word on crime--it's always a bit warped by our experiences and views on things.

Go to this website:

Metropolitan Police Department (http://crimemap.dc.gov/presentation/intro.asp - broken link)

Input your address and see, statistically, what has gone down in the area over the last few weeks / months, etc. Take a look at someplace like 4500 45th Street, NW, then compare that to say 3000 P Street, NW, or 1600 18th Street NW, then compare that to 600 8th Street, SE, and then compare to say 1400 Good Hope Road SE. You'll see a wide spread across the city, and probably some things in areas you wouldn't expect.

You can then be the judge of what level of edge you are comfortable living around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC