U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,960,654 times

Advertisements

PLEASE tell me none of you are this stupid. Here are two articles for the story.

Columbia Heights residents want D.C. fire trucks to tone town siren noise | WJLA.com

New Columbia Heights: Community meetings about loud fire truck sirens (no, really)

People are actually complaining about fire trucks using their sirens. I honestly can't even think of how people could be so ignorant.

First, this fire house has been around since the 1800s. WELL before any of those residents moved there. When you move into an urban city, expect noises. When you move next to a fire house, expect even more noise. If you don't like it, leave for the country. You can't get the best of both worlds.

Second, they mentioned the trucks always responding down Monroe. We have the quickest running routes written up on paper. We actually sit around and study this on our off time. Would you rather us take a longer way to people's emergencies?

Third, we have an extremely abused 911 system. Many in DC think we are a taxi service. People call 911 if they have had a cold for a few days. Then they get mad when the hospital sends them straight to the waiting room. They aren't educated on what a real emergency is. Here's a refresher: gun shot wound - emergency... hang nail - not an emergency. I've had people call because they have no car and want a ride. Taking them to the hospital gets them closer to their destination.

Fourth, they mention how this isn't a problem in more affluent areas of the city. Well of course it isn't. People in the Palisades don't call 911 as much. Engine 29 in the Palisades runs 1-2 runs per day. Engine 11 in Columbia Heights(where this story is about) has about 15-30 runs per day.

Fifth, would you want this if it's your house burning down? Or your child having an asthma attack? Your mother in cardiac arrest? It's okay if it's someone else though right?

Last, we could just get rid of our lights and sirens. Then when someone hits us or doesn't see us coming, they can sue us. Not to mention the long response times. If we hit someone while responding without lights and sirens, we are at fault. It's the LAW.

Just wanted to vent and get the opinion of others on here. I can't believe how selfish and ignorant these people are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 05:41 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,300,939 times
I hate these soft ass DC yuppies and suburbanites. Its a damn city for Christ sake if you don't like it move out or get ear plugs or deal with it. I used to live right by the fire station on Sherman ave and dealt with it.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM

9,009 posts, read 11,711,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
When you move into an urban city, expect noises.
I live in the country (Middleburg, VA) and hear sirens all of the time, loudly. It's a part of life that you deal with. Instead of complaining, I just quietly hope that nothing really serious has happened.

Old 06-25-2013, 01:15 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,599,616 times
To the OP, I don't know what is up with the vitriol. The articles you cite actually show a pretty reasonable group that want to come up with some solutions to the noise issue without compromising safety. In fact, they highlight two things that don't involve the fire dept at all, removing medians and parking spaces from Monroe, so the fire trucks wouldn't get stuck so much and have to blare horns as frequently. That seems like a win-win for the fire dept and neighbors, though might be costly for the city and business might prefer having the parking spaces.

Not sure what's wrong with having a dialog with the city. It isn't like they are asking you to not use sirens or to shut the station down. In the end the answer might be they can't do anything without sacrificing safety, but I don't see the harm of trying to find other ways instead of coming to that conclusion at the outset.

It isn't like this is an issue unique to Columbia Heights and other jurisdictions might have come up with other things that they found out that helped with the noise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC