Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2013, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 62,900 times

Advertisements

I work in McLean, va and we are considering a move to shepherd park. Please share your thoughts on the neighborhood ( safety,walkability) and how i's get to NoVa, how long the commute would take. Many thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 02:32 PM

999 posts, read 2,011,048 times
Shepherd Park neighborhood is very safe--lowest crime stats outside of Ward 3 in DC. One of the most integrated neighborhoods in DC with many white and black family households living on the same block. Per capita income is fairly high since most residents have high-paying professions in the legal, medical and federal government fields. It's 95 percent residential blocks with some large and expensive homes and well cared lawns. Lots of trees in yards and along streets. Close to the Maryland border and Silver Spring. Lots of families in the Shepherd Park area and I am sure there are opportunities to meet and greet your neighbors. You are also close to Rock Creek Park if you like to run or bike during your free time.

The one downside is that you won't find any stores within walking distance. Shepherd Park is very residential with little commercial amenities. You have to drive to Georgia Ave. or downtown Silver Spring for your shopping and errands needs. This will change as the former Walter Reed Army hospital property will get zoning for residential permits and serious retail and dining amenities that will follow. This would be a wonderful development for Ward 4 residents. But don't expect this grand redevelopment project to happen until we get closer to 2018-2020.

If I had serious money and I wanted to live in DC, I would pick Shepherd Park. It's quiet, safe, super family-friendly and diverse.

Your commute will suck however. Get on the Beltway EARLY in the morning if you can. 495 is a parking lot from College Park, MD all the way to Route 7 in NoVA during the rush hour periods.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
It's the area of DC I'd pick out. I didn't know it had the lowest crime outside of Ward 3, though.

I've heard mixed stories on the integration -- in some cases people have loved it, in others, they say it's very superficial. That's probably a crapshoot depending on your individual neighbors.

Your schools are Shepherd-Deal-Coolidge (although if you go to Deal, you get into Wilson from what I understand.)

From the northern edge, Silver Spring is on the outer edge of walkable for Metro + fun stuff in downtown SS.

Agreed with coldbliss that the commute won't be very good. If McLean = Tysons (near 7/495/123), though, you might be able to Metro in, but not if you're in the McLean part of McLean.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:07 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
I'll agree with what others have said. The area will change some as Walter Reed is redeveloped, but I suspect that will be a positive boost, not anything negative.

An alternative to be Beltway would be to run down Nebraska, cross Chain Bridge and out Chain Bridge Rd.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:18 AM

19 posts, read 62,900 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful comments!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:30 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times
That's gonna be one hell of a commute.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:34 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
I live in Takoma which neighbors shepard park, both are great neighborhoods. So I don't think you could go wrong there.
Commuting to virginia would be tough though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC