Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM

690 posts, read 964,723 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern NJ and thinking about moving to the DC area. The only thing that concerns me is the distance to the beaches. During the summer season, I like to go pretty often, at least once a week, and it takes me about 1 hr or less so with DC being much farther from the ocean, I am thinking if that's gon be an issue. How long does it take to get to the nearest, decent beaches with traffic? Is it doable to go that often?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM

31 posts, read 40,508 times
Depends on what you want from your beach. Do you want family stuff or beach parties? If you just want a beach to quickly park your feet in the sand.. I would suggest hopping on rt 50 and going to Sandy Point Beach. You're not going to find giant waves, however you will at least get to enjoy a quiet beach with nearby restaurants and a view of the Chesapeake.

Now if you want the full experience, most of locals take long weekend breaks in either Virginia Beach or Ocean City Maryland.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahstark View Post
Depends on what you want from your beach. Do you want family stuff or beach parties? If you just want a beach to quickly park your feet in the sand.. I would suggest hopping on rt 50 and going to Sandy Point Beach. You're not going to find giant waves, however you will at least get to enjoy a quiet beach with nearby restaurants and a view of the Chesapeake.

Now if you want the full experience, most of locals take long weekend breaks in either Virginia Beach or Ocean City Maryland.
dont need family stuff or anything, jus like to swim and lay on a beach
is there any waves there?

Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM

76 posts, read 180,857 times
Former South Jersey-er here, and not even THAT big of a beach guy, but I do get a little depressed by how much further the beach is from DC. I live right in the city, and with summer beach traffic, it would be tough for me to get to any beach in under 3 hours. It's not like we're in Omaha, so you could definitely do it weekly, but it's definitely more of an undertaking than things are back in NJ. You'll probably want to spend the night, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to do it more than once a week.

Sandy Point beach is pretty close, and it's nice, but it's a very different experience than the Jersey shore. It's a state park on the Chesapeake Day, not the Atlantic. I actually like it there, but it doesn't feel like "the shore" to me. It might scratch that itch for you, but my guess is that it won't.

OCMD and Virginia Beach VA seem to be the most popular options, with Rehobeth in 3rd place (at least in my circles.) The Outer Banks in NC have a pretty good following, too. Personally, I still go to Ocean City NJ, which really isn't that much farther. Honestly, I'm surprised the Jersey shore isn't popular with more DC people.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:57 PM

o ok, good to kno

Old 07-07-2013, 07:50 PM

any more input

Old 07-07-2013, 08:17 PM

2,768 posts, read 3,532,133 times
There is also a beach at Lake Anna which is about 70 miles south of DC down 95. It's the nicest lake beach I've ever been to and very clean. The downfall is that traffic on 95 on the weekends is an absolute nightmare.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:28 AM

866 posts, read 2,629,670 times
Honestly, it will feel like a huge chore to go to a beach on the Atlantic from DC. Three hours each way is quite a haul, and everyone has the same idea, so there is often traffic. There is also Chesapeake Beach in Calvert County, which is on the bay, but it might not have a real ocean beach feel. If I were you, if you really like the beach, I would consider areas that are closer to it.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:40 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,360,974 times
Beaches that are close to the DC area suck- simply put.

Save your $$, plan a travel budget and head out to Florida and SoCal

Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM

377 posts, read 529,855 times
forget about socal beaches, none of the top 10 beaches in the USA are in socal, theyr'e all too polluted. The best beaches are in Florida and Hawaii
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC