Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times

Advertisements

WTOP is having votes for the top burgers amongst other things.

http://www.wtop.com/?sid=&nid=1139
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Echoing others on Rays hell burger (now Rays to the Third, across the street from the old location off wilson Blvd).

Five Guys is as good as a DC area based chain could get, I suppose. I personally prefer their hot dogs over the burgers.

Good Stuff Eatery in Eastern Market was also pretty good.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
JM Curley? I'll make note of that for sure! And that place in Cambridge must be excellent; making 20 burgers is nothing. But take what I say about Elevation with a grain of salt, the location had only been up for about a week before I tried it therefore that could be a reason why it wasn't the most delicious of burgers to me. And I also frequent Bobby's Burger Palace, that's why I wanted to try something different in our area well that and watching 'Burger Land' a few days ago.

And from the general consensus here, Rays is the best in our area; I just wish they were in DC, I honestly grown to hate driving ever since I've lived in this our area as I'm from NC originally.
Ray's is practically in DC. Take the Orange line to Courthouse or Rosslyn. The walk is just over 5 minutes. Or Bikeshare, or the DC Circulator, or walk from Georgetown. I'm actually craving Ray's right now. It's been while.

Elevation (and the Counter) is just ok in my opinion. Not bad; not great. If you're ever in LA, Tommy's is great. In-N-Out is consistently good (and they have a secret menu). LA has this reputation as a great burger city for the numerous hole-in-the-wall burger stands like the Apple Pan, and the regional chains with a cult following.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:55 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvine View Post
Ray's is practically in DC. Take the Orange line to Courthouse or Rosslyn. The walk is just over 5 minutes. Or Bikeshare, or the DC Circulator, or walk from Georgetown. I'm actually craving Ray's right now. It's been while.

Elevation (and the Counter) is just ok in my opinion. Not bad; not great. If you're ever in LA, Tommy's is great. In-N-Out is consistently good (and they have a secret menu). LA has this reputation as a great burger city for the numerous hole-in-the-wall burger stands like the Apple Pan, and the regional chains with a cult following.
I was having a major brain-fart, I don't know why I always flip-flop and think Reston is Rosslyn and Rossyln is Reston. Thanks for reminding me, that's why I was a bit adamant on going; luckily I don't even have to drive then! I may actually head up to Rays tomorrow as well, what are the prices looking like? I know it all depends on the burger, but I like fries and a drink as well.

And I'm glad someone else said Elevation isn't good as well, I hate to be a huge food critic but their burgers just aren't all that great to me so I'm glad someone else agreed with me. And I actually have tried a burger joint out in CA last November I believe, I can't remember the name but I took a picture of it, I'll post the name in a minute because its in my iPhone camera.

I always wanted to make a book on the best burgers per major US city, I have this weird fascination with them. LOL But anyways, it's 2:55 AM, I should try to get some sleep.

Edit: It was called Irv's Burgers. I suggest it to you if you and when you ever go back to LA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Echoing others on Rays hell burger (now Rays to the Third, across the street from the old location off wilson Blvd).

Five Guys is as good as a DC area based chain could get, I suppose. I personally prefer their hot dogs over the burgers.

Good Stuff Eatery in Eastern Market was also pretty good.
Five Guys is okay to me, I've never tried it in DC but I tried it back in NC when our location had opened; I just remember tons of fries and okay burgers. I may give it another try someday, not anytime soon though as I really want to try Rays now!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Ray's is also in Silver Spring. Red Line to Silver Spring and then a couple blocks up Colesville Rd.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:05 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,089,183 times
My local favorites are Shake Shack, Ray's and Elevation. Latter is tasty and healthy as burgers go. Wish we had In-N-Out; loved them on the West Coast. Can't stand Five Guys, which has served up greasy, gloppy burgers any time I've been in one of their shops.

For pure nostalgia, what I miss in DC is Little Tavern. Sliders before their time.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
A lot of people tend to regard Black Orange pretty highly, but I was not impressed (atleast at the U street location)

Old 07-10-2013, 08:17 AM

194 posts, read 400,641 times
Quote:
A lot of people tend to regard Black Orange pretty highly, but I was not impressed (atleast at the U street location)
The burgers at Black & Orange are super dry, which is probably why they have a bunch of condiments available at your disposal.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:35 AM

17 posts, read 30,108 times
Personally I'd recommend BGR, Black and Orange, and even Whole Foods (in Foggy Bottom at least they make some great burgers). I'd steer clear of Bobby's Burger Palace, though.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGLuckDC View Post
Personally I'd recommend BGR, Black and Orange, and even Whole Foods (in Foggy Bottom at least they make some great burgers). I'd steer clear of Bobby's Burger Palace, though.
I've never tried nor seen a burger at Whole Foods and I'm quite the frequent shopper there; the main sandwich I get from there is the Chicken Pesto, if you haven't tried it, you should; make sure you get a lemonade on the side as well. I think I'll pass on Black and Oragne, far too many negative reviews for my taste. And what is BGR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaJunkieDC View Post
The burgers at Black & Orange are super dry, which is probably why they have a bunch of condiments available at your disposal.
Are there burgers like Fuddruckers? Fuddruckers has terrible burgers to me unless you put all sorts of condiments on it, and even then it's not that good until the next day to me. Chipolte and Fuddruckers are the two places that never taste good the first day to me, but are amazing as left overs for some reason.

Quote:
I plan on avoiding that place like a plague, seems like no one here has there burgers are excellent or even decent at the least.

My next question now is, where are the good pizza places?

Personally, my favorite is "Fuel" which is by the Verizon Center but I'm always up to explore more options.

Last edited by BMORE; 07-10-2013 at 11:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: