Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2007, 04:29 PM

16 posts, read 51,442 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Am looking to move from Australia to DC. Have a couple of questions about once I find place to live.

If I were to move into a studio, would I be required to pay a deposit and if so, how much is it usually?

Do utlities require a deposit?

Where is the best place to get cheap furniture?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
Hi and welcome,

I'm assuming first that you have your visa issue sorted. If it isn't, you really need to look into that because that is far more difficult than most people expect.

Second, in answer to your questions, you'll likely have to put down the 1st month's rent, a deposit equal to one month's rent, a small credit check/application fee. So you should budget at least two months worth of rent. Some places ask for first and last month's rent, plus a deposit (so 3 month's worth of rent).

Most utilities won't require a deposit if you have good credit. I don't think your Australian credit rating will carry over (i.e you'll be starting from scratch here, unless you are a USC) so you might have some small deposits for utilities (unless you rent a place that has utilities included in the rent).

Good luck with the move

Old 11-08-2007, 05:42 PM

82 posts, read 433,769 times
Best places for cheap furniture? Craigslist and Ikea.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,422,019 times
Furniture: check thrift stores, yard sales, sales in newspapers.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,000,209 times
These three have covered everything - agree with all 100%

Old 11-09-2007, 12:59 AM

16 posts, read 51,442 times
Thank you all!

Visa/job stuff is well underway but especially being a new grad, I want to make sure my savings etc are in order before I come

Old 11-09-2007, 04:32 AM

1,054 posts, read 5,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ophelia07 View Post
Thank you all!

Visa/job stuff is well underway but especially being a new grad, I want to make sure my savings etc are in order before I come
As a recent grad, my recommendation would be to live in a group house in DC. It can really jump start meeting folks, learning the city, etc, to be with a group of others just out of college doing the same thing. Because of housing prices in DC, group houses are very common for recent college grads (it is almost a rite of passage to living in DC).

Visas are a huge problem. I cannot emphasize this enough. Most people who think they are going to be able to get a visa cannot. Hope you have a good lawyer or solid job offer already to sort that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC