Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,757,657 times

Advertisements

We are doing better than every single large metro area in the nation. We can get a place that is affordable somewhere in the metro area more so than any other large metro area in the nation.

This list ranks the largest 567 metro area's in the U.S. based on median rent vs. median income as well as the largest rental markets by percentage. Very interesting if accurate, I wouldn't have thought this in a million years. Guess people may need to stop complaining.

Best Places For Renters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:06 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
It just seems like there is some kind of mistake in their methodology. How can $1,191 be the median rent of a 1 bedroom? Based on my experience that is about as cheap as you can find a 1 BR even in the suburbs, not the median.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,403,086 times
maybe not to a landlord.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
It just seems like there is some kind of mistake in their methodology. How can $1,191 be the median rent of a 1 bedroom? Based on my experience that is about as cheap as you can find a 1 BR even in the suburbs, not the median.

Right, this is based on the renters who either live in less than a shoebox in a (semi)desirable part of DC,

Or in a decent sized that could be anywhere from less than desirable to straight hood, not to mention stripped of all amenities.

Or in the not-so-nice neighborhoods (from a enting/living perspective) located in Arlington/Alexandria/Falls Church (Columbia Pike/Buckingham, Landmark area, Seven Corners) -

Not to forget a pretty decent apt far far beyond I-66W.

I'm surprised the list didnt include Maryland, where I'd imagine you can get a fairly decent 1BR for that price range in Silver Spring, parts of Rockville, Gaitherburg/Germantown and beyond.

Bottom line: Rent is incredibly expensive here, and for good reason - but the OP needs to take a few steps back in glorifying the DC area more than it needs to be.

Side note: I do enjoy living here a lot

Old 07-31-2013, 09:23 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Its not cheap. Round about $2000 for a 2-3 bedroom surrounded by section 8 housing in the ghetto, and I'm not kidding. I know because I just sold my home and looked at rentals in NOVA and MD and was not pleased at all. I saw dirty dump apartments renting for $1700 a month, and I'm far from picky. 50% of all the rentals my wife and I looked at where dirty and I mean very dirty as though no attempt was made to clean up after the previous renters. We ended up renting a townhome in NOVA at $2400 a month and it cost me, with good credit, 6600 bucks to move in and it was not clean, no washer and dryer, and the termites are eating the place up. Its a rip. I will say buying seems to be where the deals are, not renting.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:30 AM

^ man smh! that's way too high to pay to live right next to people who pay
nothing. that's just totally not even worth it on any level. you might as well
go on the dole too if have to go through all that. it doesn't seem like you have
much choice since that's how unfair it really is.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ man smh! that's way too high to pay to live right next to people who pay
nothing. that's just totally not even worth it on any level. you might as well
go on the dole too if have to go through all that. it doesn't seem like you have
much choice since that's how unfair it really is.
Also keep in mind we moved with 30 years of junk in which I dumped some, had no time to sell the good stuff and trying like hell to have a smooth move to the rental after the sale of the house which is a trick in itself. Many places where not available because of the specific dates we had to move without paying literally thousands to store this stuff. But what I noticed was, and this was true with both MD and VA, only a couple hundred dollars separates you from a complete dump to something livable. I've not rented in decades but what I see different now then back in the day is how filthy these places are when up for rent. Unclean toilets, sinks, carpet not even vacuumed.....

Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
There's no "fairness" or "unfairness" here. These are the prices the market bears. There's no such thing as a price that's "too high" if people are willing to pay it.
If you don't like it, either convince local politicians to support policies that might make housing cheaper, like allowing more density, or move to a cheaper metro area.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
There's no "fairness" or "unfairness" here. These are the prices the market bears. There's no such thing as a price that's "too high" if people are willing to pay it.
If you don't like it, either convince local politicians to support policies that might make housing cheaper, like allowing more density, or move to a cheaper metro area.
i don't understand why most people are not saying anything.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Renting, is like it is because of the housing bubble. Many left their homes because they're upside down, many foreclosed, many like me are selling now to access plenty of equity and soon will move from the rat race. Either way rents are up because more are renting now than ever. I'm not debating whether its fair or not. Just that it isn't cheap and especially not clean. And I'm talking about both Fairfax and Southern PG and Charles counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC