Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Anacostia and I am worried about the commute. My job is still .7 mile away from the Anacostia Metro Station and the building offers free parking. I commuted by metro in the past to Capitol South and it took me about 1.5 hours total. I would like to drive to Anacostia, does anyone know approximately how long it will take during rush hour or the best route to take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 01:39 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,253 times
Sorry to put it this way but your commute’s gonna suck.

As far as I understand you’ll have to endure the 66 –E rush hour nightmare in either case. I’m thinking 66 > 495>295 might be better than 66 >395, but I cannot say for sure. Depending on where you live in Fairfax (how close you are to 50/66) the commute time might be longer.

Any possibility of bus/shuttle service to your work location from the Anacostia metro? Taking the Orange Line from Vienna to L’enfant then transferring to Green Line might be a less stressful option, however safety is a valid enough concern at the Anacostia metro (if you ever have to return home late)

Old 07-31-2013, 09:34 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
I work primarily in Anacostia and I live in Prince William County. I take 66E to 495 twd B'more, then hope off at 295 N. My commute is about 45 minutes but I leave after 10AM and stay in DC until after 6:30PM. When I have to be in SE before 10AM, I get off of 66 at the Fairfax Pkwy toward Springfield, then take that over to 95.

I take the metro sometimes...when I don't need to go out with clients. Orange line at Vienna, transfer to green line at L'Enfant then get off at Congress Heights or Anacostia...depending on where your job is. I typically meet clients near MLK and Alabama, so I get off at Congress Heights then walk. The commute is ridiculously long but it's an option if you have early work hours.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,433 times
I live in Fair Oaks so yes I will have to start off on 66 but I hope to take a route where I can get off 66 as soon as possible. Thanks for your help!

Old 08-01-2013, 03:44 PM

7 posts, read 9,408 times
Leave before rush hour if you can. Like I said in my previous post, the traffic is MENTAL around 6am-9am & around 6pm-8pm. The interstates and highways will be jammed. If it were up to me, I would still take the Metro, even with the massive crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC