Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 04:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,213,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Just a bit

The nice thing about Tahoe is that I can make use of the snow on the slopes and it's a conscious choice to go there, instead of being snowed in at random times and not being very close to quality skiing in the DC area.
The only skiing that I'm aware that's close to the DC area is the Massanutten mountain resort down in Harrisburg, VA in Rockingham County in Virginia. It has a large ski resort and a big hill for lots of snow tubbing. It's pretty fun, I visit Massanutten once every two years in the winter mostly. The resort is within the foothills of the Appalachians. Been going down there since I was a little kid back in the late-90's. It's at least a 2 hour drive from DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:45 PM

427 posts, read 431,186 times
revitalizer has sort of an optimism in his last post....but D.C. is still lame. revitalizer speaks with no other frame of reference. I have lived in Honolulu, Los Angeles, Chicago, Seattle, and Nashville. I can tell you that D.C. is not all that and even Las Vegas is better. I'd rather live in Los Angeles or Chicago........D.C. is just boring, too political (of course) and overpriced.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
The only skiing that I'm aware that's close to the DC area is the Massanutten mountain resort down in Harrisburg, VA in Rockingham County in Virginia. It has a large ski resort and a big hill for lots of snow tubbing. It's pretty fun, I visit Massanutten once every two years in the winter mostly. The resort is within the foothills of the Appalachians. Been going down there since I was a little kid back in the late-90's. It's at least a 2 hour drive from DC.
I went there as a kid. It's OK. Snowshoe in WV and Winter Green are much better, but they don't really compare to anything west of the Rockies. Powder is much more fun to ski/snowboard on than ice.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 PM

1,512 posts, read 2,364,817 times
I always liked D.C. neighborhoods. Nice architecture and streetscape. I've heard a lot of things about how the metro area is expensive. Perhaps due to many of the high salaried jobs in government?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
Neighborhoods, streetscapes and some of the best public spaces you'll find in this country.

I'll give expensive and crowded. But if you're bored in DC, I'm afraid you might not be trying hard enough to not be bored.

People on the East Coast take this for granted perhaps, but wherever you are there, you're not far away from a different place to see, that may not be much like where you came from. Where I am, I'm ~40 minutes from the nearest major city (Houston), it's another 3-4 hours to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Very isolated. And no matter how much people in Texas like to think of those places as being drastically different from Houston, they're not. I'm sure after awhile DC could get boring if you never leave, but that's your problem.

If COL weren't a factor, rather than DC proper, I wouldn't mind at all setting up somewhere in Maryland between DC and Baltimore. The concept of having two cities that are nothing like the other in two direction, plus Annapolis in the same short distance in another.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:33 PM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Neighborhoods, streetscapes and some of the best public spaces you'll find in this country.

I'll give expensive and crowded. But if you're bored in DC, I'm afraid you might not be trying hard enough to not be bored.

People on the East Coast take this for granted perhaps, but wherever you are there, you're not far away from a different place to see, that may not be much like where you came from. Where I am, I'm ~40 minutes from the nearest major city (Houston), it's another 3-4 hours to Dallas, Austin, San Antonio. Very isolated. And no matter how much people in Texas like to think of those places as being drastically different from Houston, they're not. I'm sure after awhile DC could get boring if you never leave, but that's your problem.

If COL weren't a factor, rather than DC proper, I wouldn't mind at all setting up somewhere in Maryland between DC and Baltimore. The concept of having two cities that are nothing like the other in two direction, plus Annapolis in the same short distance in another.
I agree with this. I consider the East Coast - and especially the stretch from the Washington, D.C. metro area to New York City metro area - to be the most interesting and dynamic region to live in America.

I could not leave the East Coast without feeling like I'm giving up a lot that is important to me. It would be a definite downgrade.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

+1 So true

Old 08-26-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I agree with this. I consider the East Coast - and especially the stretch from the Washington, D.C. metro area to New York City metro area - to be the most interesting and dynamic region to live in America.

I could not leave the East Coast without feeling like I'm giving up a lot that is important to me. It would be a definite downgrade.
+2 The Beast Coast truly is the real contender for a 'Best Coast' title

Old 08-26-2013, 06:44 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+2 The Beast Coast truly is the real contender for a 'Best Coast' title
And the waves on the actual coastline are a beast too. I went to Rehoboth Beach last weekend and got knocked over by a couple of waves. Totally unexpected. That hasn't happened to be in a long time. LOL.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And the waves on the actual coastline are a beast too. I went to Rehoboth Beach last weekend and got knocked over by a couple of waves. Totally unexpected. That hasn't happened to be in a long time. LOL.
LOL Yeah, I was knocked over a few times myself when I first went to Atlantic City back in 2010. Surf's Up!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC