Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I like the original poster likes DC and Seattle because those are two of my favorite cities as well. I've been in DC since March 2012 and I love it. There are a lot of people who complain about the cookie cutter people, people who only talk about where they went to school and what they do, and how unattractive everyone is. I happen to disagree with a lot of these assumptions. I love DC for the architecture, have a good group of acquaintances, and just love the city for all it has to offer. As a single guy the dating here scene is great. It's not a fashonable city so any guy who puts forth effort into his appearance will be rewarded with dating hot women in this city. The government types are pretty lame and boring in my opinion but that's probably because I'm in private industry and don't follow politics at all.
The irony of it all is that most people who live in the Washington, D.C. area don't give a rat's behind about politics. lol. I don't even remember the last time I discussed politics with anyone. It must be a pretty small circle of folks that people are talking about.

I do agree that people around here tend to talk about their jobs a little too much though. I don't really care much for that part of living here. However, it's kind of understandable considering that this is a career-oriented place that attracts a lot of transplants and has the highest median income in the nation.

But in reality, this area is geared towards people with families. Great jobs, schools, playgrounds and parks, universities, places to dine, museums, public libraries, activities, beaches, mountains, fairgrounds, theme parks, etc., etc. If you're raising a family, then the D.C. area is nearly as perfect as it gets.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 09-11-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM

458 posts, read 644,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I like the original poster likes DC and Seattle because those are two of my favorite cities as well. I've been in DC since March 2012 and I love it. There are a lot of people who complain about the cookie cutter people, people who only talk about where they went to school and what they do, and how unattractive everyone is. I happen to disagree with a lot of these assumptions. I love DC for the architecture, have a good group of acquaintances, and just love the city for all it has to offer. As a single guy the dating here scene is great. It's not a fashonable city so any guy who puts forth effort into his appearance will be rewarded with dating hot women in this city. The government types are pretty lame and boring in my opinion but that's probably because I'm in private industry and don't follow politics at all.
So you've lived here about 16 months? A year and a half?
No offense, but that's not even a permanent resident.
You're legally still a transient.
Try 5 years, then 10 years, then 15 years, and I highly doubt you would even reach 20 years.

DC is like THE THING (John Carpenter film)
It assimilates people that move here, and conforms them into something they are not.
I've seen how it changes people with my own eyes, and it actually makes me sick to my stomach.
People don't come here to change DC, but in reality DC actually changes you!

Old 09-11-2013, 08:08 PM

12,902 posts, read 18,756,320 times
I lived in DC from 1979 through 1983, and this is what I thought it was then.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/staid

From what I read and from the pics I see, my image of it hasn't changed. That doesn't mean I hate it.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The irony of it all is that most people who live in the Washington, D.C. area don't give a rat's behind about politics. lol. I don't even remember the last time I discussed politics with anyone. It must be a pretty small circle of folks that people are talking about.

I do agree that people around here tend to talk about their jobs a little too much though. I don't really care much for that part of living here. However, it's kind of understandable considering that this is a career-oriented place that attracts a lot of transplants and has the highest median income in the nation.

But in reality, this area is geared towards people with families. Great jobs, schools, playgrounds and parks, universities, places to dine, museums, public libraries, activities, beaches, mountains, fairgrounds, theme parks, etc., etc. If you're raising a family, then the D.C. area is nearly as perfect as it gets.

If you go to Capitol Hill they care but in other areas of the city it is less prominent I find. I don't find DC geared toward families at all towards the most part. I see it geared towards young, single people who are starting their careers or seasoned single professionals with high incomes. I know plenty of families live here but I think a lot of people would have issues raising a family in DC.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:00 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,628,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
So you've lived here about 16 months? A year and a half?
No offense, but that's not even a permanent resident.
You're legally still a transient.
Try 5 years, then 10 years, then 15 years, and I highly doubt you would even reach 20 years.

DC is like THE THING (John Carpenter film)
It assimilates people that move here, and conforms them into something they are not.
I've seen how it changes people with my own eyes, and it actually makes me sick to my stomach.
People don't come here to change DC, but in reality DC actually changes you!

I never claimed to have lived here forever since it doesn't matter. In my short time here I have enjoyed it. True, in a year or less I could be fed up with it. Or after 20 years I could still be in love with it. Who knows?

I have a great job, acquaintances (tough to call anyone a friend here it seems), date a lot, and there is always something going on. Once I settle down I'm sure DC will lose a lot of its luster or it may become even more exciting. So far I really enjoy living here and couldn't imagine myself living anywhere else.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:04 AM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The DC area's crime, expense and traffic make this absurd.

Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
If it's so absurd then why has this been one of the fastest-growing metro areas for years? Obviously for many people it is worth it despite the drawbacks. The fact that it is expensive is a sign of high demand.

Maybe for you it is not worth it, which is fine, but other people have different preferences. There's nothing objectively "absurd" about a person being willing to put up with some negative aspects if it means being able to work a good job that can't be found in other metro areas, and the DC area offers more jobs like that than possibly anywhere else in the country.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:56 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
As far as crime goes, it depends very much on where you live since it varies drastically. The majority of Montgomery County, for example, has very little crime. It is practically zero in the affluent areas.

I will agree though that it is expensive to afford a home in much of the D.C. area. Most people here are highly educated and with that comes high incomes, naturally. So, it's the nature of the beast.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:24 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
Probably because it's 1) very racially segregated more so than by class (fact); 2) the majority of people here are Black (fact); 3) there are lots of "ghetto" people here (fact); 4) there are no fantastic steel skyscrapers like in many other major cities (which I actually take as a positive, but hey we're talking about what haters whine about whether they're right or wrong); and 5) white people hate throngs of Black people, and Black people hate throngs of Black people, and also hate gentrification in what were formerly all-Black neighborhoods (opinion). And then there's the widespread unemployment and HIV problems that contribute to negative views of DC from tourists and transients who come here to take our jobs and homes.

At least those are the things I hear from people everywhere I've been. Some people love it, but most just hate how poor they think DC is just because of the stigma that's attached to it being a city of mostly Black people, and the stigma that goes with being Black (assumption of poverty and ignorance) due to white supremacy.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,297 times
I absolutely agree with the poster who said DC is not an ideal place for raising a family. Unless, of course, you're privileged enough to afford to live on Capitol Hill or the quaint, serene heaven of Spring Valley and the surrounding mostly rich white areas.

The traffic is bad, the subway is bad during school hours, and half the city is neither walkable nor very safe at all. I think an ideal place for a family would be in suburban areas in Northwest and perhaps Brookland in Northeast, but that's about it within city limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC