Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,682,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I take these ratings with a grain of salt. For instance, if you plan on going to Philly and want to try the best Philly Cheesesteaks, Pat's and Geno's are always in magazines and other publications as being some of the best even though anyone who knows a good Philly Cheesesteak knows this is complete BS. DC is usually ranked as the fittest city in Men's Health which I also think is BS. I'd rather go somewhere and find out on my own. These rankings are very subjective and not objective.
I'm not saying these rankings are the Bible of each topic they tend to, but you can at least claim that a city must be a top cultural destination if it appears somewhere in top on most rankings. Of course you could be an outlier and not enjoy the same things most people do, but these rankings tend to be more or so on a general masses level of thought and from a tourists perspective for the most part vs a local.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:02 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,616,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
I'm not saying these rankings are the Bible of each topic they tend to, but you can at least claim that a city must be a top cultural destination if it appears somewhere in top on most rankings. Of course you could be an outlier and not enjoy the same things most people do, but these rankings tend to be more or so on a general masses level of thought and from a tourists perspective for the most part vs a local.

Eh. DC ranks as one of the best cities for singles on most rankings too. Are there a ton of singles here? Yes. However, I feel if you're going to rank a best city for singles I also want to see data on how many of these singles are actively looking to date, for a relationship, etc. If I were a single person wanting a relationship and I was willing to move to a city based on these rankings, DC would be at the top of the list. As someone who has lived here for 5 years it's an awful place for a single person looking to date for a potential long-term relationship given how transient it is and how self-centered the people are that this city attracts. These rankings are complete BS in my opinion. Also, the publications that put these rankings out usually have no clue what they're doing. They just follow the crowd through social media and history of previous rankings.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:48 AM

3,332 posts, read 3,682,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Eh. DC ranks as one of the best cities for singles on most rankings too. Are there a ton of singles here? Yes. However, I feel if you're going to rank a best city for singles I also want to see data on how many of these singles are actively looking to date, for a relationship, etc. If I were a single person wanting a relationship and I was willing to move to a city based on these rankings, DC would be at the top of the list. As someone who has lived here for 5 years it's an awful place for a single person looking to date for a potential long-term relationship given how transient it is and how self-centered the people are that this city attracts. These rankings are complete BS in my opinion. Also, the publications that put these rankings out usually have no clue what they're doing. They just follow the crowd through social media and history of previous rankings.
Again, perspective. I have tons of friends that had met their current partner because they both ended up moving to DC for one reason or another. It could also be great for singles because you don't feel the pressure to not be single here, and the chances of meeting someone that has similar interests randomly without the usual "setup" is high due to social circles and activities. I think any city that houses a plethora of educated singles would most likely fall under a "good for singles" list. Again, think general masses...

Old 07-07-2017, 12:00 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,483,621 times
If you know of any people living in DC that were born in DC too. Talk to them and see if you feel the same. I think the hate comes from what DC is now, not that it is 'home' to many people, including me for years. The gentrification of DC has changed the city, for some, for the better, for me and people born here like me, too much and too expensive. I can say that the reduction in crime is a win for everyone, the improved schools and city services is also a win. But this only happened with gentrification. So, to be fair, I would ask a DC native, 'why do people hate on DC so much'. You will get a very different answer than the ones on this forum.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:29 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,641,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
If you know of any people living in DC that were born in DC too. Talk to them and see if you feel the same. I think the hate comes from what DC is now, not that it is 'home' to many people, including me for years. The gentrification of DC has changed the city, for some, for the better, for me and people born here like me, too much and too expensive. I can say that the reduction in crime is a win for everyone, the improved schools and city services is also a win. But this only happened with gentrification. So, to be fair, I would ask a DC native, 'why do people hate on DC so much'. You will get a very different answer than the ones on this forum.
+1

I'm from here too and DC now is such a weird cesspool of transient people who think they're the best thing since sliced bread because they came from Montana and work in the government as a contractor.

Also, I can't get over the fact that the house that I grew up in was worthless in the 90's and if my family held onto it now, it'd be worth $1 million now

This area got waaaayyyy too expensive, and as a result, DC isn't the same DC I grew up with.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:56 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,067,741 times
Change has come not just to America, but to Washington DC. Raise you hand if you thought change would never happen here.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:05 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,483,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
+1

I'm from here too and DC now is such a weird cesspool of transient people who think they're the best thing since sliced bread because they came from Montana and work in the government as a contractor.

Also, I can't get over the fact that the house that I grew up in was worthless in the 90's and if my family held onto it now, it'd be worth $1 million now

This area got waaaayyyy too expensive, and as a result, DC isn't the same DC I grew up with.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,517,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

Is that so?

And when you grew up in DC it was a different city than it was 20 years before that. 20 years before that, DC was a different city than it was 40 years before that. Today DC is a different city than it will be 20 years from now. 20 years from now, DC will be a different city than it will be 40 years from now.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:18 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,641,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Is that so?

And when you grew up in DC it was a different city than it was 20 years before that. 20 years before that, DC was a different city than it was 40 years before that. Today DC is a different city than it will be 20 years from now. 20 years from now, DC will be a different city than it will be 40 years from now.
oooook. Random lol.

2+2=4 also.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:31 AM
kb6

20 posts, read 18,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Is that so?

Of course the only constant is change. But that doesn't mean that someone can't lament a specific change, or find the current state of things to be less preferable to the previous state of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC