Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,621 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Pentagon City which is convenient to work on metro line, nice to have 2 metro lines available, and has a lot of shopping and services. But, it is also quiet and leads to a limited social life unless you go elsewhere.
I'm female in my late 30's and single so I was looking to increase my social life and have good places for happy hour or brunch or a drink with friends. I'm looking for a walkable area that does not rely on a car. I'd prefer not to have the place overrun with 20 year olds, but rather to have a nice mix of ages available.
Old Town has been working for me for socialization, but it seems far from the rest of my activities so I am not looking to live there.
So I was thinking about moving to Clarendon or Woodley Park or Cleveland Park. Or maybe Foggy Bottom. 14th street corridor seems fun and developing but still seems a bit edgy. What are your thoughts on these areas in terms of my objectives ?
I like buildings with front desk, fitness center so mostly high rise buildings and so a move to these areas would also be an increase in rent and trying to determine if it is worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 11:32 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
14th St Corridor edgy and developing. You are kidding right? You sheltered suburban folks have a different definition of edgy than me. Let me put this to you bluntly, its not. It is developed as it gets. You are looking for a place with lots of amenities. My guess is you will be okay with anything in downtown, along Connecticut ave, and some of the newer buildings in Columbia Heights.
I would avoid woodley park/adams morgan, the area has lot of younger folks. Dupont Circle, 14th St, Clarendon, Columbia Heights (14th), etc. would all be fine. The list goes on and on honestly.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,358,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
14th St Corridor edgy and developing. You are kidding right? You sheltered suburban folks have a different definition of edgy than me. Let me put this to you bluntly, its not. It is developed as it gets. You are looking for a place with lots of amenities. My guess is you will be okay with anything in downtown, along Connecticut ave, and some of the newer buildings in Columbia Heights.
I would avoid woodley park/adams morgan, the area has lot of younger folks. Dupont Circle, 14th St, Clarendon, Columbia Heights (14th), etc. would all be fine. The list goes on and on honestly.

Do keep in mind that she's a single lady, living by herself, so her perception and concerns would be different from men (I assumed you were male)

OP, all of the areas mentioned above would be fine, though you would need to be somewhat more alert in the 14th street Logan/UStreet/Columbia Heights area.

What is your rental budget?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:58 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Do keep in mind that she's a single lady, living by herself, so her perception and concerns would be different from men (I assumed you were male)

OP, all of the areas mentioned above would be fine, though you would need to be somewhat more alert in the 14th street Logan/UStreet/Columbia Heights area.

What is your rental budget?
Please, I am a white female in my mid thirties. I was single when I used to live in Columbia heights, and live in Eckington now. So I know the safety concerns pretty well, but they are more based on fear.
Sorry to speak bluntly, but it did come off as a sheltered suburban type. Personally I ran into more problems around Pentagon City and Arlington when I first moved to the area than I ever did in the city.
The whole Logan, U Street, and Columbia heights area is fine. The area is far better than it was 5 years ago when somebody could make a rational argument about it being somewhat sketchy. This is not so much the case anymore.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 08-09-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 09:42 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
haha, "edgy" = you might get stabbed one night for your iPhone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC