Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the "American Paris"
Yes 19 30.16%
No 44 69.84%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times

Advertisements

So being a fan of a RAPPER is "influence" but being a fan of a BAND, be it Fugazi or Hootie, isn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:03 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
But do the Washingtonians still smoke crack?

DC really has no business trying to put down any other city, particularly considering that one of the most popular restaurants in the city (Le Diplomate) is a complete ripoff of the Parisian bistro. Do you think Parisians look to Washington for any type of inspiration when it comes to cuisine, style, fashion, etc? Paris was inspiring paintings by Renoir and Van Gogh when Washington was nothing but a slow, country southern backwater. And compared to Paris today, Washington is still a backwater town.
They have really cr@ppy McDonalds in Paris. Does that count? And Van Gogh did his best work in Provence, not Paris. Renior's best work was in when he was in Montmartre, the Rockville of Paris.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
So being a fan of a RAPPER is "influence" but being a fan of a BAND, be it Fugazi or Hootie, isn't?
It's not just being a fan. It's the style of dress, the use of language (such as "brick"), and the general obsession with all things New York. I mean, I would constantly have kids approach me in school and ask me about growing up in Harlem (I didn't). They really admire and emulate New York and NYC culture the way many Americans admire and emulate the French.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
They have really cr@ppy McDonalds in Paris. Does that count? And Van Gogh did his best work in Provence, not Paris. Renior's best work was in when he was in Montmartre, the Rockville of Paris.
McDonald's originated in Washington, DC???

Does it matter where you think they did their best work? The point was that Paris was considered a world capital back when DC was a nothing town. And Paris is considered a world capital today whereas DC sits directly in NYC's shadow (which is a real international city).

Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times
If you arbitrarily define "influence" to not include "being a fan of a band" you're right. Under the usual definition of the word, you're wrong.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:21 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
Quote:
McDonald's originated in Washington, DC???

Does it matter where you think they did their best work? The point was that Paris was considered a world capital back when DC was a nothing town. And Paris is considered a world capital today whereas DC sits directly in NYC's shadow (which is a real international city).
Other than during the time of Bonaparte, France was never important enough for Paris to be considered "the world"s capital." Even then London was a much more important a city. Since WWII Paris has been a great place for a vacation, but not much else. It is a great place for a vacation.

What I'm trying unsuccessfully to do is to point out how silly your entire concept is. DC is not in competition with Paris, and vice versa. Neither is DC a Paris wannabe.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:56 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Do people in DC kill people everywhere they go?

Paris, France:

Population: 2,234,105
Homicides (2011): 42

Washington, DC:

Population: 632,323
Homicides (2011): 108

Clearly, Washington, DC is crime ridden and not fit for tourists. And the city has an HIV rate comparable to sub-Saharan African countries. And the Mayor smoked crack
Honestly Bajan, do you have it out for your newly adopted home or what? Such incredible cynicism.

Last edited by tcave360; 08-15-2013 at 05:13 PM..

Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Do people in DC kill people everywhere they go?

Paris, France:

Population: 2,234,105
Homicides (2011): 42

Washington, DC:

Population: 632,323
Homicides (2011): 108

Clearly, Washington, DC is crime ridden and not fit for tourists. And the city has an HIV rate comparable to sub-Saharan African countries. And the Mayor smoked crack
Sorry BY but.....

-___-

Old 08-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Default Lol

Quote:
But do the Washingtonians still smoke crack?

DC really has no business trying to put down any other city, particularly considering that one of the most popular restaurants in the city (Le Diplomate) is a complete ripoff of the Parisian bistro. Do you think Parisians look to Washington for any type of inspiration when it comes to cuisine, style, fashion, etc? Paris was inspiring paintings by Renoir and Van Gogh when Washington was nothing but a slow, country southern backwater. And compared to Paris today, Washington is still a backwater town.
I guess Philadelphia is too, right?

And judging by your past posts on this thread, so is New York City in comparison to Paris.

Oh!!! Even better! Any city in North America and off the face of this Earth, is a backwater in comparison to Paris and lacks the detailed beauty of that city too. Any place on this planet sucks in comparison. Alrighty then dude, got'cha Wow! You seem to have ALL the answers!

Last edited by tcave360; 08-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Spelling Errors & Extra Material

Old 08-15-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Other than during the time of Bonaparte, France was never important enough for Paris to be considered "the world"s capital." Even then London was a much more important a city. Since WWII Paris has been a great place for a vacation, but not much else. It is a great place for a vacation.

What I'm trying unsuccessfully to do is to point out how silly your entire concept is. DC is not in competition with Paris, and vice versa. Neither is DC a Paris wannabe.
I'd rep this over a thousand times if I could, but I can't unfortunately. Good rebuttal post nonetheless my friend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: