Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC the "American Paris"
Yes 19 30.16%
No 44 69.84%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,851 times

Advertisements

Thomas Jeffeson once said he wanted Washington to be the American Paris. It was designed by a Parisian, it is a mid rise city, it has wide avenues, it has lots of parks, and it has a structure that is tall and is the focal point of the city. So what do you think? Obviously it can in no way compete with Paris, but has it reached the vision of an Americanized Paris?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times
It has reached the vision of "yuck."

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
No, and I don't know where this idea that DC is Parisian came from, particularly since the plans for the city were finished around 1792, well before Haussmann's renovation of Paris from 1853 to 1870. DC is in fact mostly based on the German city of Karlsruhe, from which it gets its radial avenue concept. That said, DC's urban form has developed somewhat similarly to Paris, but also like most European cities with an historic core and satellite commercial centers; it differs in that it has a downtown CBD.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM

741 posts, read 1,112,846 times
I was giving a friend from France a tour of DC this past weekend, and she really liked it. We went to Georgetown, went to the Old Post Office observation deck, Penn Quarter, West End, Foggy Bottom, and Dupont Circle. She said she liked it more than New York even.

She said DC reminded her of home.

I personally know plenty of Europeans that have come here and really liked it.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
No, and I don't know where this idea that DC is Parisian came from, particularly since the plans for the city were finished around 1792, well before Haussmann's renovation of Paris from 1853 to 1870. DC is in fact mostly based on the German city of Karlsruhe, from which it gets its radial avenue concept. That said, DC's urban form has developed somewhat similarly to Paris, but also like most European cities with an historic core and satellite commercial centers; it differs in that it has a downtown CBD.
I believe it was mostly designed off of Versailles. With the large avenues radiating through the town from the palace

Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revitalizer View Post
I was giving a friend from France a tour of DC this past weekend, and she really liked it. We went to Georgetown, went to the Old Post Office observation deck, Penn Quarter, West End, Foggy Bottom, and Dupont Circle. She said she liked it more than New York even.

She said DC reminded her of home.

I personally know plenty of Europeans that have come here and really liked it.
I had a similar experience. One of my coworkers is from Paris and she goes back to visit family there often. But she said that when she was choosing where to live in the US she narrowed it down to NYC and Washington DC. She told me that she ended up choosing DC because of how much it reminded her of Paris. Which is why I bring up this subject

Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Can we stop with the Paris stuff please? What is up with this French obsession?

Old 08-12-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Can we stop with the Paris stuff please? What is up with this French obsession?
Who doesn't want to be compared to one of the greatest cities on earth?

Old 08-12-2013, 07:26 PM

792 posts, read 2,873,926 times
Paris has magic. DC doesn't. End of story.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM

1,118 posts, read 2,286,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
Who doesn't want to be compared to one of the greatest cities on earth?
An incredibly overrated one at that. You're really comparing it to a city that's stuck and not progressing. Capital flows are pouring into London, Singapore, Hong Kong, Dubai and Sydney...Paris has a stagnant real estate market and economy burdened by national fiscal problems. DC should be looking at cities moving forward, not trying to stay in their glorified pasts. (And yes, I know that's going slightly off topic.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: