Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is DC a world class city
Yes 56 68.29%
No 26 31.71%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:23 PM

490 posts, read 649,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Chicago and LA are not on the same level as NYC in any way.
How so? Both are economic powerhouses, and draw people in from all over the world. Chicago has a firm stand in the global commodities market as well as being a transportation hub for the nation. LA is the world's entertainment center. They have the ability to push not just movies, but American culture all over the world. Thats not even taking into account the huge suburbs that surround each city, or supporting economies each city has.

Granted, neither city can compare to density of population, or sheer number of people. But, they do round out the "top three" in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
As a New Yorker, I can agree that it is a separate level, but it's more that New York, Chicago and Los Angeles are the "Big Three."
Oh okay, now I see what you mean.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
What is your definition of "world class"? This can be translated very widely, especially for DC.
For example:

1. DC has amazing museums with amazing amount of history, art, restaurants, and history.
But just like any other great cities that's designed, it's designed for war. Any army, navy, or special force in the world will have a hard time getting into DC without DC noticing it first, 30 miles away.

2. The effort that DC puts in to make the city better is amazing. I know it'll be "the place to visit" in my lifetime.

3. There are many renowned, worldly recognized architectures at DC

4. The smartest people are here at DC. Silicon Valley may have technological smart people, WallStreet may have number smart people, but DC has the combination of all them here, plus the management and politically savy people.

5. DC can blow your hometown to nothing in a very "classical" way with a push of a button. Because we have the control of world class military system here.

6. The amount of different language present in DC is equal or more than any other state or cities in US.

7. The amount of national food represented in DC is comparably matched to any other cities in US, and close to world food. Trust me, if you want something you can find it in DC, if you look hard enough.

8. DC has world class police. When was the last time you heard DC police doing anything wrong, like LAPD or NYPD?

9. DC has world class gangs, including MS 13, and various other gangs.

10. DC has world class educational institute.

11. DC has world class secrets.

I can sit here and list all of them. But you get the point. So yes, I say that's pretty world class.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,386 times
If I had never been to the US and I HAD TO PICK one city, or even three, it wouldn't be DC

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Seattle

DC is in there, but its not world class, its a world class suburban city, not a metropolis.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:38 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,513,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
If I had never been to the US and I HAD TO PICK one city, or even three, it wouldn't be DC

1. NYC
2. Chicago
3. Seattle

DC is in there, but its not world class, its a world class suburban city, not a metropolis.
I agree that the big three are NYC, Chi, and LA. But I don't know how you can say that it is only a world class suburban city when the DC metro area is one of the largest in the US

Old 08-19-2013, 10:51 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
The difference between Washington, D.C. and Chicago is almost splitting hairs to me. On the CSA level, Washington, D.C. actually has a larger economy/GDP than Chicago (and a higher GDP per capita). And its CSA population is only 1 million less.

So, realistically the top U.S. cities are: 1. NYC 2. LA 3. Chicago/DC

Personally, I prefer DC over LA or Chicago because it's an east coast city among other reasons.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
The definition the OP provides isn't appropriate since being a "world class" city is more vague than being a "world city" which is that small category that includes NYC, London, Tokyo etc. Anyway, it's definitely not, not enough people. Also not the cultural or financial importance of a world city.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM

427 posts, read 430,701 times
Washington, D.C. is not a "world class city" by itself. You would have to add the suburbs (ex. Northern Virginia).

Old 08-19-2013, 08:35 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
DC is definitely a world class city. Representatives from every nation are based here. Some of the most influential institutions in the world are based here(IMF, World Bank). The big decisions of the most powerful nation on earth are made here.

DC isn't on the same level as NYC or London but I believe it easily matches or exceeds it's European counterpart, Brussels.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
The definition the OP provides isn't appropriate since being a "world class" city is more vague than being a "world city" which is that small category that includes NYC, London, Tokyo etc. Anyway, it's definitely not, not enough people. Also not the cultural or financial importance of a world city.
World Class city is quite vague, so many definitions can apply. I think you're putting to much emphasis on financial importance. I think that only matters in the sense that it brings rich people to a city who demand the nice things. You might be right on cultural matters (though I think it's debatable).

Here's a list of suggestions from others:
What Makes A City World-Class? - Forbes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC