Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 AM

58 posts, read 101,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I honestly think Brentwood will/is gentrifying though. It's really got a pretty good central location and it already has a bit of new development.

SweetEpiphany... where are you looking for homes online? I really haven't found much on the west side of the river for that price. Brookland would definitely be a spot I would look at.
ffknight918, I'm using Redfin and working with a real estate agent. One thing this experience has taught me is that a lot of places are not listed online, and there are a lot of backroom deals that happen. So, don't trust what you see online. With that said, I do think that Redfin is the most accurate listing site around right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Let me relate a real life story based upon personal experience. I now sit on a proverbial "pot of gold" in Crestwood, but for the first 10 years of owning the house it probably appreciated about 5%. There are many people who lose their shirts in real estate speculation. Buy a property because you want to live there.

That's a great point DCforever. My parents experience the same thing with their home in another state. I always thinnk about that when I remember what Columbia Heights was like around 2005. I didn't live in DC then, but I visited and that area was rougher than sandpaper. You kinda never know what is going to happen that might skyrocket home prices in your 'hood.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetEpiphany View Post
That's a great point DCforever. My parents experience the same thing with their home in another state. I always thinnk about that when I remember what Columbia Heights was like around 2005. I didn't live in DC then, but I visited and that area was rougher than sandpaper. You kinda never know what is going to happen that might skyrocket home prices in your 'hood.
But I feel like you always knew that it was going to bounce back. I lived in that area all my life, it couldn't have gotten worse. It was impossible.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Brentwood has come a long way since I lived there. If you can find ANY decent place to live in DC for 250k, that's a gold mine.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,988,143 times
Quote:
The problem is that everybody looks at the success stories and thinks that they will repeat everywhere. Brentwood is a great example. About /12 of it is rail yard. The rest is 1940s-60s era row houses and low rise apartment buildings. IMO there no architectural merit to any of the property. I just don't see much upside potential. BTW great sandwich place at MGM.

I have no idea what the crime situation is. Maybe it's cheap place to live and relatively safe. Don't expect to be the next Columbia Heights.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Also the Brookland neighborhood in NE DC near Catholic University is a great place to live. Not sure of the housing costs. Mostly older single family homes, row houses and apartments

Old 09-04-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Brentwood has come a long way since I lived there. If you can find ANY decent place to live in DC for 250k, that's a gold mine.
Speaking of decent places to live. I just came across this listing on Redfin: 318 RHODE ISLAND Ave NORTHEAST #302, WASHINGTON, DC 20002 | MLS# DC8172439 | Redfin

It's a 1 bedroom for $179, 500 and it says it's 2 blocks from the Rhode Island Avenue metro. The inside looks more than decent, at least with the way it's staged. It's listed as being in Brookland, but I think this is really Eckington or Brentwood or some place where Eckington, Brookland, and Brentwood intersect. I guess it's cooler to say it's in Brookland these days. Lol. So, there you have it folks, inexpensive housing.

Last edited by SweetEpiphany; 09-04-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The problem is that everybody looks at the success stories and thinks that they will repeat everywhere. Brentwood is a great example. About /12 of it is rail yard. The rest is 1940s-60s era row houses and low rise apartment buildings. IMO there no architectural merit to any of the property. I just don't see much upside potential. BTW great sandwich place at MGM.

I have no idea what the crime situation is. Maybe it's cheap place to live and relatively safe. Don't expect to be the next Columbia Heights.
I live in Columbia Heights right now and I'm honestly getting tired of it. It's crowded all the time whenever I just want to run a few errands. The fire station on 14th is always on call, the cops are always speedingwith sirens blaring down 14th or any of the other side streets. Traffic is horrible. And it attracts such an odd mix of people, yuppies, vagabonds, single parents, young families...it's too much for me sometimes.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:06 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,151,209 times
Quote:
Speaking of decent places to live. I just came across this listing on Redfin: 318 RHODE ISLAND Ave NORTHEAST #302, WASHINGTON, DC 20002 | MLS# DC8172439 | Redfin

It's a 1 bedroom for $179, 500 and it says it's 2 blocks from the Rhode Island Avenue metro. The inside looks more than decent, at least with the way it's staged. It's listed as being in Brookland, but I think this is really Eckington or Brentwood or some place where Eckington, Brookland, and Brentwood intersect. I guess it's cooler to say it's in Brookland these days. Lol. So, there you have it folks, inexpensive housing.
$300 in HOA fees and that doesn't even include electric? I pay $310 in HOA fees per month and it includes all utilities minus cable. I'd pass on the deal. For $179K, it's probably a co-op

Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
$300 in HOA fees and that doesn't even include electric? I pay $310 in HOA fees per month and it includes all utilities minus cable. I'd pass on the deal. For $179K, it's probably a co-op
It's listed as a condo, and even with the $300 fee I still think it's a good deal. It's an older building but it has central air, a washer/dryer in the unit, it close to public transportation, restaurants, grocery store. Pretty good deal if you ask me. Only downside I see is that there seems to be a lot of crime in an around that address. The Trulia crime map was bright red for that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC