U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 08:12 PM

29 posts, read 74,408 times

Advertisements

I've lived all my life in gentrifying cool "hipster" hoods like mission in SF, wicker park in Chicago, echo park in Los Angeles, etc.

I am considering moving to DC with a job on K street.

I could live in a apt in areas such as Adams Morgan or 14th st...

but if I was looking for an actual house, where would u suggest? How is Brookland or Mount Rainier or other places I'm not aware of? I'm a gay guy that likes some trees and even hills....

Suggestions/thoughts?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 AM

132 posts, read 317,843 times
If you like trees and hills, then you would like Brookland. It's quite diverse and still relatively affordable. You may also want to consider Shaw or Bloomingdale, other gentryfying areas in the city but not many hills.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:53 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,522,809 times
Taking you are gay, Takoma is probably a better choice than Brookland. Brookland is home to Catholic U. While the area around it is not really conservative, it is still there. It is a nice area, but I think you would enjoy Takoma more. With that being said I have had LGBT friends who have run into some issues around Brookland. It's a good area with nice houses, but I would not put it on par with where you lived previously. The houses are nice though around Brookland though, so it should be on your radar, just maybe not at the top.

The one thing is Takoma is not gentrifying, it is just nice. Takoma/Takoma Park reputation as the Berkley of the East is pretty accurate. The community is a magnet for LGBT folks buying homes in the area. Shepard Park and Manor Park which is not to far from Takoma should also be on your radar. This is kind of a residential area of DC which is relatively nice but not completely out of bounds.

Shaw and Bloomingdale are not bad, but they are more dense/urban.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:44 PM

153 posts, read 267,862 times
Not sure how important Metro access is to you but some of the Northern sections of Mt. Rainier/Brentwood are within walking distance of the W. Hyattsville Metro. That area definitely has a very funky vibe to it and you'll find a diverse/welcoming crowd and a very affordable place to live.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:43 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,477,431 times
Compared to the other cities' neighborhoods you mentioned (I lived in Wicker Park for eight years), places like Mount Rainier, Takoma, and Brookland will be very quiet -- probably too quiet. There's minimal to no nightlife to speak of in any of those neighborhoods, and while Takoma may have many vegan restaurants they're much more hippie than hipster.

Indeed, "hipsters" are strangely scarce in this area. The only neighborhood I'd recommend for now would be Petworth, which has a few certifiably hip bars but is mostly leafy streets of single-family houses. Mount Rainier's not a bad bet, but it'll be quite a while before it's genuinely trendy.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:03 AM

66 posts, read 160,421 times
The area around H street NE is teeming with hipsters, rapidly gentrifying, and boasts tons of nightlife and restaurants. I think it's right up your alley. Takoma and Brookland are great but those are the kinds of places I want to move once I have kids and get boring. If you want the nightlife like I do you'd probably be a little disappointed. Check out areas just north and south of H street NE (the street is best between 11th and 14th streets) for houses and NoMa, if you change your mind and want a shiny new apartment.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:07 PM

561 posts, read 1,382,496 times
Unless you specifically want a quiet, leafy neighborhood, you might find Brookland and Mount Rainier pretty boring. However, there is some cool new development going in near the Brookland metro station. I'm LGBT and I would feel perfectly comfortable living in Brookland; proximity to Catholic U would have zero impact on your safety, IMHO.

Have you considered H Street? It's the closest thing DC has to a hipster neighborhood (you likely know by now that DC isn't the hippest place in the world). H Street/Atlas District also has some of our coolest bars and some terrific restaurants.

Dupont Circle is known as our gayborhood, but it's not really all that "gay." No comparison at all to a place like the Castro. There's just a lot of gay residents, but hardly any gay bars or rainbow flags. It's a nice area, but you pay a steep premium to live there, and all the restaurants are pretty average.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:40 PM

29 posts, read 74,408 times
Thanks for all your thoughts! I'm actually panicking at leaving my little perfect Echo Park shack and going to DC, and that's why I've been considering places like Mount Rainier to recreate the "dense/SFR" feel. It seems cool. Does anyone actually live in Mount Rainier that works in DC? There's almost no talk about it on the internet!

Many of these condos in DC just depress me. I've never liked condos. At my price point (low) it's hard to find something with character and congruent with my ideosyncratic tastes.

A little question -- if you are looking on Redfin for places, what neighborhood would this "H Street" be in? I mean, what would I put in the little search bar?

Old 09-12-2013, 05:22 AM

153 posts, read 267,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAdama View Post
Thanks for all your thoughts! I'm actually panicking at leaving my little perfect Echo Park shack and going to DC, and that's why I've been considering places like Mount Rainier to recreate the "dense/SFR" feel. It seems cool. Does anyone actually live in Mount Rainier that works in DC? There's almost no talk about it on the internet!

Many of these condos in DC just depress me. I've never liked condos. At my price point (low) it's hard to find something with character and congruent with my ideosyncratic tastes.

A little question -- if you are looking on Redfin for places, what neighborhood would this "H Street" be in? I mean, what would I put in the little search bar?

I live in Mt. Rainier/Brentwood and I work clear on the opposite side of DC over in Rosslyn, VA. It takes me about 55 minutes door to door via Metro. I could get to downtown much quicker. I moved here because there is a vibrant art scenes and it is a safe neighborhood with lots of beautiful older homes. Like you I had a low price point (around 200K) and I was panicked the only place I could afford in a safe area would be a depressing studio in a cookie cutter condo with huge monthly condo fees. Lucky for me I found a 2 story/3 bedroom tudor style home with a huge yard and deck here for under 190K!

As someone else pointed out here there is little to no night life here and the concentration of "Hipsters" is not nearly as high as some of the trendier neighborhoods you've mentioned (btw the neighborhood to search for near H St. is Trinidad) but for me the super low price far outweighed this trade off. Check out this video on the revitalization of this are to get a better feel for what it's like here. One of the reasons the prices are so low here is like you said "There's almost no talk about it on the internet!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE8d...KoizSsM6OfxHWL

Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM

561 posts, read 1,382,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralAdama View Post

For H Street, search in Redfin for "Atlas District." Trinidad is very close, but very much in the early stages of gentrification. Trinidad used to be a very rough neighborhood but yuppies are moving in, snatching up relatively cheap rowhomes. If you can get into lower Trinidad close to Florida Ave NE, you'll be very close to H Street.

I don't know anybody who lives in Mount Rainier. It's in Prince George's County, MD. PG County as a whole is a weird mix. A lot of the riff-raff that used to live in DC has moved out to PG County, which was increased their crime rate. PG County used to be where whites moved to escape the crime and grime in DC in the sixties, and beginning in the late 1970s it because the place of choice for middle class and well-to-do blacks. Nowadays, even the middle and upper class black population is leaving because of mounting problems on almost every front. Mount Rainier is an older area but it's mostly stable and safe. However, you'll be dealing with PG County, which means paying the highest property tax rates in the entire region for the lowest service delivery (every county service is notoriously slow and frustrating). You pay an arm and a leg in taxes and don't get much to show for it. However, houses are cheap.

Have you considered the arts district in nearby Hyattsville? It's a small but cool area with artists' housing, right by a metro, and there are beautiful brand new EYA townhouses that are selling in the low-to-mid $300Ks, which is an absolute bargain for this area. You'll be a 15-20 minute drive from most places downtown, as it's a straight shot up Route 1. Yes, you'll be in PG County but it's one of the best areas in the county IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC