Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 07:23 AM

15 posts, read 35,529 times

Advertisements

People have placed Georgetown, DuPont, Logan Circle, Adams Morgan, Columbia Heights, U St, H St, Capitol Hill (I can keep going!) on the lists (there are so many out there) of the best neighborhood to live in--WITHOUT SAYING WHY!!!

So with this thread, I'm looking for a description of the best neighborhoods in DC. Please only vouch on places that you have actually lived; I hate hearsay. In your description of the neighborhood, please touch on things like:

- demographics (age range, [if there is a large population of] LGBTs, nationalities, education level, etc.)
- availability of public transportation
- proximity and quality of grocery stores and farmer's markets
- another demographics question: What stage of life are the residents in: college, yuppie, hipster, yopro, families, retirees, etc)
- dwellings: mostly rowhomes? apartments? condos? single family homes and duplexes?
- foot traffic: are the streets and sidewalks bustling all day (maybe due to a mix of commercial and residential), just at dinner time and after hours (maybe more of a bar scene), generally only at rush hour, generally you're the only one walking around, etc.
- maintenance: potholes? construction? shabby/non-existent sidewalks? litter everywhere? smelly/urine? plagued with abandoned buildings?
- general attitude: party, excelling/ambitious, pompous, materialistic, nature-lovers, etc.

Yes, I have visited, walked through, eaten in, went clubbing in, etc. all of these neighborhoods myself. Buttt I'm still relatively new to the area, so I'm still looking for more information. Thanks!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 AM
mvn

2 posts, read 5,989 times
I can speak to Adams Morgan:
It is a pretty active community with many people walking, riding bikes, playing tennis during the day and an active night life with music and dancing at places like Madams Organ, Heaven and Hell, The Black Squirrel, etc. The streets are kept pretty clean and the sidewalks are adequately wide and maintained. You will find side streets are lined with mostly row-homes with single-family style homes mixed in, but there are quite a bit of classic apartment buildings as well, closer to the main drags (18th and Columbia Streets). Access to public transportation depends on where you settle but you would be about a 10-15 minute walk to either the Woodley-Park/Adams Morgan Metro Station or the Columbia Heights Metro Station. There is easy access to busses and multiple Capital Bike Share stations. Parking is not terrible, though if you are commuting by car, see if you can shift your hours so you'll arrive home before 6 when many spots on the side streets fill up. There a few long-term paid lots scattered throughout the neighborhood.
Adams Morgan is lucky to have a Safeway, a nice accessible Harris Teeter with a good wine selection, fresh produce and a parking garage, as well as a Yes! Organic market. We also enjoy proximity to Meridian Hill Park (aka Malcolm X park) with plenty of open space for picnics, cookouts, and lawn sports. There are gorgeous fountains to take in and every Sunday there is a drum circle worth seeing.

[mod]snip[/mod]

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 09-12-2013 at 09:18 AM.. Reason: Deleted realtor advertising link (Terms of Service violation)

Old 09-12-2013, 10:31 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,719 times
Takoma DC

Demographics - Pretty mixed, plus many lgbt folks.
Public transportation - Takoma metro station blocks away, no more than 15 minutes anywhere in the area, also a short walk to Georgia ave buses
Grocery - Farmers markets in Takoma Park, MD, are not to far, Safeway is poor, Giant in Silver Spring is not so bad, co-op markets in Takoma Park, MD. This could be better, but it is not that bad.
Makeup - Hippies, LGBT folks, some hipsters, older folks. Highly educated and upper middle class. Extremely liberal.
Dwellings - Mostly stand alone homes, some small, some large, with a few townhouses and condos.
Foot Traffic - Moderate to low foot traffic, people walking dogs, going to the metro, the area is walkable, but not super dense. More of a bedroom community within the city. However, walking distance to DC, silver spring, and takoma park resturants.
maintenance - It is a fairly pretty community where people have lush yards.
Attitude - Laid back, nature lovers. A little bit of the pacific northwest in DC. It is a very pleasant place to be.

Overall this is a nice residential neighborhood in DC. While it may not be teaming with stores and bars, it still is within walking distance of amenities largely because of it's proximity to Takoma Park and Silver Spring MD, which are both right over the border. The public transportation options are excellent. It is a great place to move if you still wish to live in the city and want good public transit options, but want a nice laid back neighborhood. It kind of remains mostly known to residents of the DC area. There are some resturants and bars in the area, but they reflect the general laid back vibe of the community.

There is actually parking in the area as well, making a car more likely.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 09-12-2013 at 10:52 AM..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:41 AM

15 posts, read 35,529 times
Hey guys! This is awesome! Keep it coming! I'm looking to move soon and this will help me, and I'm sure flocks of other people, narrow it down. Let's keep this flow going!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:02 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times
I don't think you can say any area in a city is the best area to live in. True, some neighborhoods are always going to have the highest sales and/or rental prices, most restaurants, etc.

I moved to DC in 2012 and I decided on the Navy Yard neighborhood because it's an up and coming neighborhood on the water. The only downfall is that there are no condos slated for the area within the next 5-10 years, only apartments. There aren't many restaurants in the area yet but I see a lot of potential. I'm waiting for condos to go up for sale at the Wharf Project in SW which should be delivering by 2017. I feel within the next 15-20 years it will be similar to Georgetown harbor but even better because it will be metro accessible and offer more venues on the water.

Here is my take on neighborhoods in DC that always seem to top everyone's list:

Georgetown: I think Georgetown is a charming area of DC and I like the energy on M Street. I don't like the fact it isn't metro accessible though. If you're going to pay such high rent or real estate prices for the area what are you really getting? Granted I like Georgetown but have only ventured into Georgetown a handful of times since I moved here because of how difficult it is to get to.

Dupont Circle: I work in Dupont Circle and I definitely like the area but I wouldn't want to live here. There are a ton of restaurants in the area which is great but other than that it is like any other decent neighborhood in the city.

Logan Circle: I like Logan Circle a lot because of the residential feel. I love the rowhouses by the circle and favor Logan to Dupont as far as a place to live.

Penn Quarter: I love downtown and it's probably my favorite neighborhood in DC. Tons of restaurants, things to do, and shopping. Plus, they're really building it up which is nice.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
I've lived in 2 neighborhoods thus far, so here goes:

Southwest Waterfront (lived there for 4 years):
1. Demographics - some young professionals (and increasing), but also a lot of families, older couples, and a few retirees. Income/education level is mixed.
2. Public Transit - access to 3 metro stations served by 4 of the 5 metro lines, as well as a few Bikeshare stations and I think some Zipcars. If you have a car, you're right by the highway and bridges, so it's easy to get out.
3. Groceries - new Safeway right by the metro, and then there's always the fish market on the river
4. Housing - Rowhomes and then apartment/condo/coop buildings. Rowhomes down here are more affordable than a lot of areas of the city since it's still building itself up.
5. Ambiance - The area north of the highway (all office buildings) can be active during the day, but otherwise the neighborhood is very quiet. It's common to be the only one on the street if you're walking around at night.
6. Maintenance - Really depends on where you walk. Large chunks of the neighborhood are safe, clean, and walkable, but there are some areas with abandoned buildings/lots. However, there's a big development project on the river that's supposedly picking up, so there should be increasing construction in the coming years.
7. General attitude - Quiet, community-oriented. Really it feels like you're secluded, while still having access to the rest of the city. There are a lot of boat lovers around who take advantage of the marina (and the sailing/boating clubs that operate out of it). Most people I've met love the neighborhood and are invested in its future. Definitely has a "community" feel.

Adams Morgan (on the Dupont/Kalorama side; have lived here for ~1 year)
1. Demographics - definitely mixed, but more skewed towards the young professional side (that said, there are several families and retirees in my building)
2. Public Transit - usually a 10-15 minute walk to a metro station (for me it's Dupont and U Street, but other parts of the neighborhood are closer to Woodley Park or Columbia Heights), as well as quite a few buslines going downtown or across town, Bikeshares, and Zipcars/Smartcars.
3. Groceries - as was said, we have a Safeway and Harris Teeter that's readily accessible, as well as a Yes! and other smaller markets. We're also close to some specialty markets like the Japanese market on 17th & U and a few halal markets. Farmer's markets on 18th and also nearby in Dupont, and it's easy to get to Columbia Heights to do big box shopping (Best Buy, Target, Petco, etc).
4. Housing - mostly apartment/condo/coop buildings or townhomes divided into condos, many of which are historic. Private parking is available but often expensive. I've only had a problem trying to park on Friday or Saturday nights, otherwise I usually get a space within 2 blocks of my building.
5. Ambiance - Pretty busy and active, with a lot going on. However, once off the main 18th Street strip it does quiet down significantly.
6. Maintenance - On my side it's been fine in terms of litter/urine/potholes/sidewalks. There are quite a few rats, which I think were living in the construction area of Oyster-Adams, so that's died down now that they've cleared all the rubble away.
7. General attitude - Known as the party area for college students and suburbanites, but that can be avoided. Honestly one reason I wanted to move to this area was because I hated AdMo on the weekends, but enjoy it on weeknights/daytime. Definitely on the quirky side, and very diverse. Many residents are pretty active, spending time outside, getting involved in the community, etc. I love that if I'm ever bored all I need to do is leave my condo and I can find something to do.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:24 PM

52 posts, read 121,749 times
Cleveland Park,

I do not live there, I live in Van Ness, which is the most boring part of the city. First let me diss Van Ness a bit more.

Pros - Really safe, quiet, tons of parking if you have a car and convenient to get out of the city. There is a giant and a couple of restaurants, as well as about 30 dry cleaners.
Cons - It is extremely boring, and there is nothing to do at night. You step out of your house around 9 PM and there is nothing, but a few people walking to the metro to get to the more active areas. No bars in the neighborhood and certainly not a mixed neighborhood (it is the whitest area of DC).
The area does have many young professionals, but also many old people.

Whenever I do go out, I end up in Cleveland Park. It is certainly not as lively as Adams MOrgan or U-Street and does die down after 10, but you have a decent selection of bars and restaurants, as well as a movie theater. The only con is the lack of a big grocery store. There is a mom and pop organic place, but be prepared to pay $3 healthy surcharge on all your groceries.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:37 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,631,167 times
[quote=juniperbleu;31617948]I've lived in 2 neighborhoods thus far, so here goes:

Southwest Waterfront (lived there for 4 years):
1. Demographics - some young professionals (and increasing), but also a lot of families, older couples, and a few retirees. Income/education level is mixed.
2. Public Transit - access to 3 metro stations served by 4 of the 5 metro lines, as well as a few Bikeshare stations and I think some Zipcars. If you have a car, you're right by the highway and bridges, so it's easy to get out.
3. Groceries - new Safeway right by the metro, and then there's always the fish market on the river
4. Housing - Rowhomes and then apartment/condo/coop buildings. Rowhomes down here are more affordable than a lot of areas of the city since it's still building itself up.
5. Ambiance - The area north of the highway (all office buildings) can be active during the day, but otherwise the neighborhood is very quiet. It's common to be the only one on the street if you're walking around at night.
6. Maintenance - Really depends on where you walk. Large chunks of the neighborhood are safe, clean, and walkable, but there are some areas with abandoned buildings/lots. However, there's a big development project on the river that's supposedly picking up, so there should be increasing construction in the coming years.
7. General attitude - Quiet, community-oriented. Really it feels like you're secluded, while still having access to the rest of the city. There are a lot of boat lovers around who take advantage of the marina (and the sailing/boating clubs that operate out of it). Most people I've met love the neighborhood and are invested in its future. Definitely has a "community" feel.

Once the Wharf Project condos start selling pre-construction I'm jumping all over one.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:59 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,154,014 times
I can co-sign on SW Waterfront, it's not hopping b/c nothing's happening at the moment, but in 5 years, people are going to be kicking themselves for not buying in when they still had a chance. It's still affordable compared to the rest of the city.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:04 AM

720 posts, read 1,555,358 times
outside of those weird co-ops theres just not much inventory at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC