U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 24,071 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently in the market for a SFH and have been seriously considering the Brookland neighborhood (although there is little available at the moment). Since my wife would be commuting on the metro to Chinatown, I am curious what people think of the CUA-Brookland station and whether or not they feel safe around the metro and walking to and from the surrounding Brookland neighbrohood, especially at night. We are focusing on the area within a 15 minute walk to the metro. Any comments about the metro station or Brookland in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:50 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,521,443 times
It is pretty safe for an urban neighborhood. It is one of the better neighborhoods in the northeast.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,227,788 times
Brookland CUA is a very safe neighborhood. But wherever you live always be aware of your surroundings, especially if you are walking.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:45 PM

402 posts, read 787,793 times
I live in Brookland (albeit I haven't been here very long) and I am quite pleased with the neighborhood. No safety issues yet (nor have I seen much "sketchy" behavior), and the neighborhood is pleasant and well-maintained. Even with the Metro and buses, its a bit annoying not having a car here. That's about the only issue though, and that's my fault for not having one.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM

46 posts, read 69,187 times
I consider Brookland to be a very safe neighborhood and quite a gem of a neighborhood, too. The housing stock is diverse and you have a nice mix of detached homes with yards and classic row homes. With all the new upscale (those new $700,000+ homes are upscale prices to me) development in the neighborhood, things are only looking up for Brookland.

You should definitely check the area out

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM

OP here. Thanks for the feedback. We loved the neighborhood and have a budget in the low-mid 600's so I think it is certainly doable. My wife was a little concerned after hearing about that stabbing near the metro 2 weeks ago since she would be walking home from there after work, usually after dark. It seemed like that stabbing was between people who knew each other, not some random person getting mugged and stabed, but its still a little disconcerting.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:56 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,521,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalpunk View Post
OP here. Thanks for the feedback. We loved the neighborhood and have a budget in the low-mid 600's so I think it is certainly doable. My wife was a little concerned after hearing about that stabbing near the metro 2 weeks ago since she would be walking home from there after work, usually after dark. It seemed like that stabbing was between people who knew each other, not some random person getting mugged and stabed, but its still a little disconcerting.
This neighborhood, as well as the Takoma/Manor Park/Shepard Park neighborhoods (Close to the Takoma metro) would probably be the best two to fit your budget. I think you can find a place that's nice in a good neighborhood. We found plenty of places in that range (and found a place we loved ultimately well below it in Takoma neighborhood of DC).
It does get spotty outside of brookland, but even other areas of NE are improving significantly.
As somebody said, it's great housing stock and has not reached the absurd levels of other areas of DC. Though it probably will in the next year or two.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 PM

52 posts, read 111,191 times
That is a good budget. How old are you guys? The Brookland area tends to be a bit dead at night, there isn't much going on there in terms of restaurants and bars etc. Is this a priority, because with 600K you can find a bit of a livelier neighborhood.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:43 AM

We are early 30s. I like the idea of being accessible to the city but not in the middle of downtown. Tacoma is on our radar too.

Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM

52 posts, read 111,191 times
Wow, impressive budget for early 30s. What kind of downpayment are you looking at. Have you considered Ledroit park area, it has some really nice places for that budget (i say so, because we have a similar budget and have been looking at that area). I think in terms of safety they are pretty similar, but Ledroit has a bit more life.
Is access to metro a priority for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC