Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 02:58 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times

Advertisements

Really? Seriously? Break out the directives and policies explaining in detail the zoo's very existence unknown to the majority public. Now we are well informed and will go ahead and spread this news to the dumb, deaf, and blind.

Research, Smeshearch, nobody cares. Families simply want to come see animals. Can't even enjoy a freaking zoo with the family without a policy book being thrown at people explaining why the cages are empty.. Sheesh, lighten up and put your books away, it's a zoo for Pete's sake. And I never say Pete's sake.

There comes a time when you have to shut it off... Just put it away for a few moments. It's a zoo for kids and families. Tell them they are restocking for the fall or something. Anything but breaking out the directives... Holy cow.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 03:11 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
Really? Seriously? Break out the directives and policies explaining in detail the zoo's very existence unknown to the majority public. Now we are well informed and will go ahead and spread this news to the dumb, deaf, and blind.

Research, Smeshearch, nobody cares. Families simply want to come see animals. Can't even enjoy a freaking zoo with the family without a policy book being thrown at people explaining why the cages are empty.. Sheesh, lighten up and put your books away, it's a zoo for Pete's sake. And I never say Pete's sake.

There comes a time when you have to shut it off... Just put it away for a few moments. It's a zoo for kids and families. Tell them they are restocking for the fall or something. Anything but breaking out the directives... Holy cow.. lol
There are some for-profit petting zoos off highways that might be more up your alley. I think a Chuckie Cheese's might be nearby as well.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
There are some for-profit petting zoos off highways that might be more up your alley. I think a Chuckie Cheese's might be nearby as well.
Of course...

But the reality is that the majority public is UNAWARE. Most people that I speak to always tell me that the zoo is half empty. I until this post had no clue of its existence but the information listed has answered some of my questions and will gladly relay this information the next time. I don't do such prior research for zoos, much like most people.

I am sure you have the grid markings for the Ocean City pier as well. My point being is that not everyone is on that "level" all the time.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:32 PM

Below is from trip advisor- you can do your own googling... Again, it goes to show that the majority have an expectation and it isn't related to the directives detailing its research program or that it is free so therefore there should be less expectations...

The zoo was on our list of places to see when we visited Washington DC. We arrived at the zoo shortly after lunch. To our dismay none of the cart vendors were open so there was no convenient place to get water or anything else to drink. We stopped at all the animal viewing areas and were amazed at how few we saw. We saw bison and elephants. There were no cats or bears visible. Our real interest was to see the pandas but they too were no where to be seen. There was a lot of people gathering at one of the viewing areas for the pandas and everyone was disappointed. It would have been nice to have a zoo representative around to explain why or at the very least have signs posted explaining why there were no animals to see. We've been to zoos around the country and this very disappointing.

Visited June 2015

Again, it's a matter of this disconnection with those in question and expecting everyone to be brilliant...

Old 07-07-2015, 04:13 PM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Hmm.. I took my kids to the zoo recently and saw 3 pandas. Go figure.

They should have more animals though.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:06 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slim04 View Post
LOL at Chuckie Cheese's

Old 07-08-2015, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Hmm.. I took my kids to the zoo recently and saw 3 pandas. Go figure.

They should have more animals though.
I haven't been to the Zoo in a hot minute...Used to volunteer with them last decade too (those were the good old days), I even have yet to visit the Asia Trail. I wonder how the new Elephant Community Center/Elephant Trails is coming along these days...Also wondering how Kandula (the bull Asian elephant born in July 2001) has grown, could be sporting some pretty decent tusks by now. Elephants are my most favorite animals, so I used to always get excited whenever I visited the Elephant House (despite the smell lol ). I really do miss the giraffes, the pygmy hippos, and Happy (the Nile Hippopotamus). I remember the pair of Indian Rhinos that were at the EH, last time I laid eyes on them was probably back in 1999 on a field trip with my 2nd grade class...Loved those rhinos.

I also remember the American Bison Pavilion that was next to the Elephant House. There used to be a small herd of 4 or 5 bison I think.

I also miss the Bat Cave which led to the Big Cats exhibit...Last time I was at the Bat Cave, there was still a white Sumatran Tiger on display IIRC...So beautiful!!

Sucks that the Invertebrate Exhibit had to go recently smh

Old 07-09-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgottwald View Post
I have the impression that the Zoo once had a much larger variety of animals than it does today.

Near the southern entrance of the American Trail, there's a large habitat with a moat that looks as if it was built fairly recently, but it's empty and overgrown. There's a little bear statue nearby, which makes me think that's where the polar bears used to be. Is that right?

Not too far along from that point, you can look down and see another trail, no longer open to the public; when was that closed?

Lots of animals that the Zoo no longer has. I remember them getting rid of the hippos and polar bears, and I'm almost certain there were giraffes at one point.

On field trips when I was very young, I have a vague recollection of the Olmsted Walk being solidly lined by cages on both sides. A few, empty by then, were still standing as late as 1990.
Btw, I think that old bear exhibit used to be the home of the original Smokey Bear himself:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smokey_Bear

And it looks like the American Bison Exhibit has returned!!! Looks like a lot of changes have occurred at the Zoo since I was last there back in 2010....I think it's prime time I head back there this summer!

Last edited by tcave360; 07-09-2015 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,538 times
We're from Memphis, which has a zoo that is usually ranked #1 or #2 in the nation (San Diego is up there too). We are traveling to D.C. at the end of the month, and the zoo was on our must-do list. Should we skip it? We're interested in seeing actual animals, not reading about research.

Old 07-12-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
We're from Memphis, which has a zoo that is usually ranked #1 or #2 in the nation (San Diego is up there too). We are traveling to D.C. at the end of the month, and the zoo was on our must-do list. Should we skip it? We're interested in seeing actual animals, not reading about research.
My point made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC