Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 08:12 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,359,751 times

Advertisements

So I was reading the Post's recent story on increased crime, specifically burglaries/theft, in the Naylor Gardens complex and it got me curious about the other apartment complexes located in SE.

I looked up the reviews for a few apt complexes on apartmentratings (Washington View, Worthington Woods to name a couple) and some of the feedback there is truly shocking!

On one hand you have some overwhelmingly positive reviews (likely posted by the apt management/leasing staff), and on the other hand you have folks citing fights breaking out nearly on a daily basis in the parking lot where kids hang out, open use of marijuana,frequent break-ins into the apartments and resident vehicles, and gunshots heard on a daily/nightly basis..

One specific review mentioned how an apartment door was shot thru and someone inside the unit got struck in the chest.

My question is... is the situation really THIS bad, or are these negative reviews an exaggeration of sorts? Can any residents of SE EOTR chime in?

If the former is true, then leave gentrification and the rich/poor divide in DC aside... this is absolutely atrocious and cannot be explained/'justified' on any basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:31 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,753,522 times
I think it depends on you. I like to solve problems. That's actually what I do for a living. So, I tend to research a lot and put myself in a lot of people's shoes.

If I was a typical criminal, I will want to pick out a target. That someone that I can overpower, yet, someone who won't resist, or make it hard for me to rob or someone who's not going to make too much noise.

So, you just do everything opposite of what the criminal expect you to do.

Gun violence... that's just something you can't predict. Just don't be an arse, if you're out and about. I mean, you shouldn't in the first place, unless you can back it up somehow.

The situation isn't that bad. I go to SE all the time. Gentrification is just another way of saying racism, because when people think about Gentrification, they automatically think about the area as heavily black, and it's simply not true. It's more of a social inequality than anything. Gentrification is what's making people feel safe, because it's intent is to drive all the culture and lower income family out of the area for the need for rich college kids (especially true in DC more than any place in US).

So, don't be scarred. The apartment door was shot through happens in nice neighborhood too. Nobody wants to go to jail in the hood. They won't do it unless you screw them up, or you're sniffing around, asking too many questions online.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:20 AM

1,344 posts, read 4,764,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
So, don't be scarred. The apartment door was shot through happens in nice neighborhood too. Nobody wants to go to jail in the hood. They won't do it unless you screw them up, or you're sniffing around, asking too many questions online.
Hmmm... Arlington murder rate reaches new low - no homicides in 2011 | WJLA.com

Old 10-29-2013, 08:34 AM

354 posts, read 785,341 times
why would it be an exaggeration. thats the type of stuff that goes on in the hood and those apt complexes are in the hood

Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2PG View Post
why would it be an exaggeration. thats the type of stuff that goes on in the hood and those apt complexes are in the hood
Sure enough, but it is not something that should be accepted in a complacent manner and treated as such, should it? Its not like decent, hard working folks do not live in the hood Why doesn't the police take more effective measures to combat these kinda activities?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK12 View Post
Sure enough, but it is not something that should be accepted in a complacent manner and treated as such, should it? Its not like decent, hard working folks do not live in the hood Why doesn't the police take more effective measures to combat these kinda activities?
They have a history of not being able to tell the difference between a hard working, law abiding individual and a criminal. In the hood.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:27 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
People always say "why don't the police do something?" They are always out. They are police though, not babysitters. They don't have enough people to sit on every corner and watch the kids. I'm not calling you out personally but the same people who say they want more police, are the same ones to complain when their taxes go up to pay more.

Same thing happens with us on the fire side. People have waited for long periods of time for ambulances. They blame firefighters when in reality they have nothing to do with it. Raise the taxes and hire more of us then. Give us working equipment. I don't get sleep or breaks at work while running calls for 24 hours straight. There's nothing more we can do.

The easiest way to put it is that no one cares or wants to front the bill when it's not their problem. However, once they need the help, they start pointing fingers.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM

ffknight,

I did not mean to belittle in any way the role currently being performed by our LE and EMT services. If you ask me, I support higher taxes or other similar means if it would lead to more effective measures at combatting crime.

What I meant to say was, it appears that there is criminal activity going on on a nonstop basis in very specific neighborhoods of the city. One can explain this in a myriad of ways ranging from broken family systems, poor parenting, lack of resources/opportunities etc but when things are continuing on such a frequent basis and violent crime is also thrown into the mix, it makes me think that something more needs to be done, which is currently not being done.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:09 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
ffknight,

I did not mean to belittle in any way the role currently being performed by our LE and EMT services. If you ask me, I support higher taxes or other similar means if it would lead to more effective measures at combatting crime.

What I meant to say was, it appears that there is criminal activity going on on a nonstop basis in very specific neighborhoods of the city. One can explain this in a myriad of ways ranging from broken family systems, poor parenting, lack of resources/opportunities etc but when things are continuing on such a frequent basis and violent crime is also thrown into the mix, it makes me think that something more needs to be done, which is currently not being done.
Like I said, didn't mean it towards you personally. Just saying that many people feel like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC