Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,681,455 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard about this? Have you ever used Uber?

Uber Wars: How D.C.Tried to Kill a Great New Ride Technology - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 02:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,413 times
I've used Uber, I prefer Lyft, I heard about this video and don't have much to say about it that's not already implied or said in this video. It's disgusting. They (taxi cab commission? city council? no idea) can't even figure out their own regulation/law of getting credit card machines into all DC taxi cabs. How stupid. Always having to pay in cash to take a cab and the driver conveniently never has any change.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:00 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,580 times
I use Uber on occasion. I think it's is a valuable service alternative. Fortunately some councilmembers like Tommy Wells stepped up and protected services like Uber against consumer unfriendly policies like raising fare minimums.

And yeah, I agree that the taxi cab industry hasn't exactly won many hearts in DC.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:48 PM

720 posts, read 1,555,069 times
I used Uber the other day for the first time. Great experience. I was going to the airport. ETA from my location said arrival in 11mins. The guy showed up in 5 mins. no sedans were available at the time so it ended up being a suburban with leather seats. It was so easy to setup from just using an app on my phone without having to call anyone. No having to make sure you have cash on you for tips, no having to deal with a rude dispatcher on the phone, everything done through the app. The convenience and reliability is leagues better than dealing with dc taxis that you never know whether or not theyll even show up. **** all the dc cabs who would drive right past me with my hand clearly waving for them to stop and pick me up as well as other brothas YET stopping at a moments notice for a white woman. long live uber

Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,553 times
I'm surprised their aren't more threads about Uber on here. It's a great service. I've used it probably about 8 times in Dec and the last was on NYE. UberX has totatly won me over, I just wish they would bring the service to MD. I'm tired of getting in foul smelling taxis at the end of the day at Naylor Rd, Suitland & Branch Ave metro stations.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:46 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WG5516 View Post
I'm surprised their aren't more threads about Uber on here. It's a great service. I've used it probably about 8 times in Dec and the last was on NYE. UberX has totatly won me over, I just wish they would bring the service to MD. I'm tired of getting in foul smelling taxis at the end of the day at Naylor Rd, Suitland & Branch Ave metro stations.
I've used it about 4 or 5 times, and I always feel incredibly awkward when I don't tip since it's supposedly included.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRep View Post
I've used it about 4 or 5 times, and I always feel incredibly awkward when I don't tip since it's supposedly included.
Why do you feel awkward? Your tip is included in the fare? Are you the type who feels guilty when you don't leave a tip at a self-serve frozen yogurt shop?

Old 01-03-2014, 02:18 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Why do you feel awkward? Your tip is included in the fare? Are you the type who feels guilty when you don't leave a tip at a self-serve frozen yogurt shop?
Awkward in a good way. I remember my first Uber experience, it was a trip to Union Station since my GF and I took the 6 AM train. First time rider so I got the discount, since I live close by the total trip was $5. I wasn't sure if I needed to tip, even though the tip was included in the fare. It was a weird feeling since when I take cabs, I always give them an extra buck or two and now it's just strange when I get to the location and all I do is walk out the car.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:06 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
That said, apparently Uber is being sued because drivers are claiming that a lot of what is charged to the customer as a tip goes to the company instead of the driver.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM

490 posts, read 649,967 times
Ãœber is awesome! The DC council are a bunch of Luddites.

It works great overseas also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC