Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:52 AM

54 posts, read 105,541 times

Advertisements

As the topic name states, the topic has been beaten to death yet no real results happen, so I shall ask this question once and for all. Where can a single, early 20's male with dual residency in SE and Alexandria meet a single woman in the metro area? I'm not confiding this to just DC but also in Maryland and Virginia.

Some background info about me... I'm in my early 20's, I have a job perhaps not a respectable office job but I do get respectable pay, I have a sports car, basically I have most of my ducks in a row except that I'm not in college (still haven't figured out a "career" i want), and the biggest setback, I'm fugly. My body build is average, perhaps on par with most in the DC area. I'm 5'9 and I rock a buzz cut due to my hair being so straight and thin that it's difficult to work with so no one can give it any style. My skin tone (not that it should matter but it is a factor as to whom likes whom apparently) is neither light tone nor dark tone, but rather in between, with a slight lean to the lighter side, I dress conservative and professional if need be.

Now to set the stage, I don't do illicit drugs (which seems to be a bad quality in the VA suburbs as that's all people there portray themselves to do all day), I don't drink, I don't smoke, I guess I'm practically straight edge. I don't do the bar scene (since I don't drink), I don't like the "club", my past time revolves around modifying cars, and that's pretty much it. Meeting someone at work is out the question since it's a labor job so no females work at my job unless it's the office, and I'm tired of those awkward moments around the metro station where the situation can cross "creepy" in 2.5 seconds if I meet someone there.

So with that said, what options do I have left? I refuse to believe that you can only meet women at the bars or club in DC. I've tried those scenes before.. Gtown, Adams Morgan, 14th St, Etc. but it doesn't feel right, plus most of the time they go there with people they know and aren't interested in something past that night.

All help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM

720 posts, read 1,557,416 times
You're right this question has been done countless times and solutions also provided countless times. Bars and clubs aren't the only places where you can meet single women in DC. Just like every other city in the world you can meet single women at a crosswalk while you're waiting to cross the street, the post office, wherever you go during your lunch break, the starbucks or local coffee shop, the grocery store (goldmine), barnes n noble bookstores, the mall, farmers market, etc. I hope you get the point. You can meet them in the simplest of places.

My dude single women are EVERYWHERE in this area, I'm not sure why it's assumed that bars/clubs are the only places you can find them. Especially as a brotha the numbers here are highly in your favor. You can approach a chick in any of those settings, what exactly is stopping you?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:13 AM

1,630 posts, read 2,366,020 times
Based on what OP stated, it appears that he lacks self confidence and probably has low self-esteem... that's probably it.

Not that I mean to call out the OP; I have the same issues too.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:38 PM

69 posts, read 113,404 times
I have the same problem. Can't meet anyone because i don't know where or how to approach someone.
Wouldn't most ladies think it is weird for a random person to talk to them in a environment that isn't meant for that? Like supermarkets, coffee shops etc...

Old 12-07-2013, 03:29 PM

709 posts, read 1,132,585 times
You can meet single women everywhere. Literally. Metro, store, gym, street, restaurants, malls, parties, wine tasting, etc. When you leave your house do you ever SEE women? There you go!

If your question is really: "Where can I go where women will just fall into my lap without me having to do anything?" then your answer is NOWHERE.

Women are everywhere and I have never had any problems meeting new women when I WANTED to.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:30 PM

6,848 posts, read 8,017,224 times
Pick an activity you like, do that, you'll meet women who have a common interest.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,967,720 times
Not in college and do not have a college education. I don't care what car you do or do not have.
You are not going to find many women in DC interested in you. Relationships are like jobs out here.
Bachelors required, Graduate degree preferred.
While your confidence level matters, get your ducks in a row with regards to a career. You seem rudderless. That is not a good thing.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:56 PM

709 posts, read 1,132,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Not in college and do not have a college education. I don't care what car you do or do not have.
You are not going to find many women in DC interested in you. Relationships are like jobs out here.
While your confidence level matters, get your ducks in a row with regards to a career. You seem rudderless. That is not a good thing.
The OP should only get a degree and a career if he really wants it. Not just to get a woman.

Besides.. if a woman only wants you for shallow reasons (job, money, education) then why commit to her? There are many women with that mindset. They don't stand out. They just become one of the many women you sleep with and never call back.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:24 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,978,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
Now, now, no need to jump on the guy. He is working and makes good pay. Career isn't relevant in the matter.

See, the problem is that - how can I put this without rubbing shoulders, most people in the world have no sense of guidance. They are not natural leaders, look out for themselves, and so they think everyone should see things the way they do. They will say you are inadequate and give you a list of items you will find in the grocery store. However, they lack the ability to guide and give specific examples. That is why you are called rudderless, told that there is plenty fish in the sea (as if we don't know this) and that you lack confidence. (but someone will challenge me even though it is written) (Jay Carney Syndrome aka JCS)

I have been in the area since April and have had my share of questions as to why DC is the way it is. After traveling back to Miami and NY, I realized that I wasn't crazy and that DC is in a world of its own and you must conform- believe me. However, I adapt very well. That is why I ask so many deep-ended questions that most people don't really care to engage in. I need to analyze and question in order to find me way. I am a federal employee by day, personal trainer by night, military reservist, and a resident nightclub dj here in DC and NY. So believe me, I have an opportunity to engage in all types of social and professional settings. In order for me to find happiness with "the chicks" I have to travel beyond my area further south or to Maryland. Most of those that I relate to that I would find in a Miami or NY/NJ live further south or in Maryland.

The best advice I can offer you is join a car club in the area or even Baltimore and visit anything car related on the weekends like car shows. ATO Autosports. Join an online performance site and have meet ups from the meet up sites. Things will lead on and you will be invited to house party events, shows, etc. You will be able to demonstrate your skills in car modification and your confidence will boost. You will be introduced to chicks at the shows and you will be alright..... There are tons of car parking lot meets ups on thursdays in VA and Maryland from classic rides to performance. Tons of chicas are around but you have to look em up. I can't remember where I have seen them. Or you can come to one of my gigs and I can literally hand you over one but that would be too easy wouldn't it...

Those that call you out but don't show you the way aren't leaders- they don't even count.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:27 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,759,165 times
I always thought, the best place to meet someone, for me, was at the national portrait museum, Concord Gallery, or something educational (maybe even Library of Congress).

But that's just me. I'm just at that weird place, where I've done the bar thing (which is basically just saying all you want is a short term/one night stand), but too young to go Bingo-ing at adult community center, and grew up too rough to actually go to these black tie events and enjoy it.

No need to call people out. Average age of marriage in DC area (DMV) is 32 for guys and 30 for girls. If that's average, I think people just don't care about anything else than quick hookup and not having a relationship here.

Meeting girls at college was easy, being younger doing something young was easier to meet girls, but it really depends on what you want.

OP needs to figure out what he wants, instead of wanting something that other people have. My ex, ex, ex didn't drink a drop of alcohol, and I drank like a whale. We got along fine, because she was my permanent DD.

Even if you had Brad Pitt's Fight Club body, do you really think you'll enjoy the girls who like you for just that? There is no substance...

Let me pass on one piece of advice you about woman. Ok, maybe two. Remember this. This will make you a happier chap.

1. When a girl is pissed (at you, at her boss, at anything), just give her some time and leave her alone. She'll come around. If you don't, all that anger will be redirected to you, and at the end of the day, you will become the bad person. Also, don't ever fall for the whole, "I'm fine" deal. She's not fine.

2. When girls like you because of money, or any other reason other than the fact that she likes you (which is what you want, because this doesn't change), then she doesn't love you. She just loves your stuff. Those are the girls you want to avoid.

This last one is mine: 3. If she says, "no", don't give up. Imagine Rocky B. He never gave up. All girls will say, "no". That's what they're born to say, what their mama told them to do, and what gives them power over men. Your job is to keep trying, until she says, "yes".

If it was easy, everyone will do it right. Believe it or not, it's a process. Don't go for easy girls unless you have PPO.

Last edited by Plokivos; 12-07-2013 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC