Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:01 AM

709 posts, read 1,129,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLETS View Post
You were not in DC 20 or 30 years ago.
So you cannot compare then to today so your opinion means nothing.

Block after block of condos, CVS & Starbucks is an improvement?
I had family in DC 30 years ago. The city was a crime ridden pile of horse manure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,762 times
Quote:

Here is an MPD photo from 30 years ago.

Proof that DC Natives and long term residents are decades ahead of all the inflated rent paying, wanna-be urban, gentrifying, attention seeking, recent arrival, transplants.

Metro riding ,attention seeking, no pants gentrifiers do not make DC more interesting or more exciting.

It's all been done before.

Decades before you arrived in DC.
I'm showing my age, but those aren't underwear. Those are gym shorts. Hard to believe, but that's what gym shorts used to look like.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:50 AM

153 posts, read 306,316 times
Quote:

I have been all over.
Traveling mostly.
Visiting friends who left DC for warmer climates.
But DC is home.
All of my family is still in the DC area so I will always return.

CAPITAL CENTRE 4 LIFE!!!!!
LARGO MARYLAND YOU MOTHERF*CKERS!!!!
Metal. WWF. Capitals. Bullets. Monster Trucks.

I heard the Verizon Center's roof was leaking the other day.
I was there the day it opened.
I never liked that place anyway.
LOL

Is it just me or is the David Lee Roth look-a-like (from Heavy Metal Parking Lot) meant to look like he is posing with his hands in the air in the same way as the Washington Bullets logo? Genius!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,486,822 times
Quote:

I have been all over.
Traveling mostly.
Visiting friends who left DC for warmer climates.
But DC is home.
All of my family is still in the DC area so I will always return.

CAPITAL CENTRE 4 LIFE!!!!!
LARGO MARYLAND YOU MOTHERF*CKERS!!!!
Metal. WWF. Capitals. Bullets. Monster Trucks.

I heard the Verizon Center's roof was leaking the other day.
I was there the day it opened.
I never liked that place anyway.
LOL
Love my homies....Love my hometown.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:35 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2789 View Post
Is it just me or is the David Lee Roth look-a-like (from Heavy Metal Parking Lot) meant to look like he is posing with his hands in the air in the same way as the Washington Bullets logo? Genius!
I am unsure if that was intentional or not.
LOL

Old 01-17-2014, 12:42 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choccity View Post
Love my homies....Love my hometown.

$13 for 100 level seats to watch far superior talent play basketball.
Erving. Bird. Magic. Jordan. etc...

Old 01-17-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
I had family in DC 30 years ago. The city was a crime ridden pile of horse manure
You need to stop hiding behind "I had family in DC 30 years ago" and start mentioning specific years you visited, locations you used to stay at, specific places you used to go to etc...

This is the only way I will be able to tell where you are truly coming from.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
Quote:

$13 for 100 level seats to watch far superior talent play basketball.
Erving. Bird. Magic. Jordan. etc...
My mother always tells me that the Capital Centre was The place back in those days and that the venue was always packed tight, especially during Go-Go events.

I'm beginning to think that the Capital Centre must've been the CBGB of the DC area. May it Rest in Peace.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
My mother always tells me that the Capital Centre was The place back in those days and that the venue was always packed tight, especially during Go-Go events.

I'm beginning to think that the Capital Centre must've been the CBGB of the DC area. May it Rest in Peace.
The CBGB equivalent in DC was more the old F Street 9:30 club than the Capital Centre.
The Capital Centre was more of a mainstream arena rock concert venue.
The acts that came to perform rocked and they rocked hard.
So did the fans.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
I'm not a DC native, but I have lived here since October of 2013. I was in love with the city when I first arrived, having come immediately from rural Dinwiddie County, Virginia. I feel bad for the locals here, mainly black (I am black as well) because the education system seems to be failing them. If you don't go on to get a bachelor's or master's degree, you will forever be a second class citizen, doomed for mediocrity, or to be forced out to PG county. I was shocked at how segregated the metro area is here in DC when I first arrived. I have fared very well for not having an education because I have such a strong resume, but I feel sorry for my young black counterparts who do not, and have no education. I can understand both sides. It's great that the city is experiencing tremendous growth, but I feel that I'm caught in the middle. I'm 26 and still going to school full time to get my degree because I've been working in offices and call center's since 2006. I can get an okay job, and actually made just shy of 20 an hour working at the HRSA call center in Rockville. I never though I'd make that much money with a degree coming from the Richmond metro area. Despite this, a lot of people here make so much money. Moreover, a lot of people here have a lot more education, and I was on a dating sight, and a guy once told me he couldn't ever consider dating anyone with less than a master's because people in relationships who make more money are happier according to him.

I've been to Congress Hgts and Alabama ave in the summer well after midnight, while watchful, I never felt scared. I've been all through areas of Aspen Hill and Rockville near Darnestown RD. and Montgomery ave. I lived a little while in the Huntington Area. I never felt afraid in the suburbs or in the hood, though I am aware of all the crime that happens in DC.

Long story short, I kinda resented the yuppies because I felt like the whole area caters to them. All black people aren't permanently high driving a luxury car they got from the auto auction, drinking 40s and cheating on taxes and selling food stamps.

What about people like me who come to DC because of the strong job market? I came here to pay off debts and be able to have a life that didn't involve owning a car. I have subsequently paid off my debt and owe nothing besides student loans, but housing is so expensive here. I am blessed to live in a house in Takoma with a good friend who purchased his house, but all my hard work would come to naught if I were on my own. I'd be forced to live out in SE or PG!

I feel like DC can be summed up in three stereotypes: Yuppies, Foreigners who may treat you badly because you're black, hood rats.

I feel like I don't fit in. I've come to terms with it and am focusing on my education. anything else is just an accessory. All and all, I'm happy here now. I apologize for the tone of my post, this is just my perception as someone with some college education of a rural and poor background.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: