Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 PM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times

Advertisements

Why is DC so under-retailed? This is one of the most affluent cities in the country based on per capita income, yet all over the city, there seems to be empty retail spaces. I'm continually shocked at how many empty stores there are in downtown. Even the eagerly-awaited CityCenter is almost completely built, and to my knowledge, there have been no major retail announcements, leading me to believe that the developers have been unable to attract high-caliber retailers to the center. And it's not just downtown. Look at Navy Yard, which despite all the new construction and expensive housing still has empty retail spaces abound. I always hear the argument that the rent is too high, but cities like New York and San Francisco have thriving retail even in with high rents. Further, isn't rent driven by supply and demand? If there's a high number of vacant storefronts, then you'd expect that rents would fall, but that doesn't seem to have happened here. Another argument is that poor neighborhoods are not good marketplaces, but poor people shop too, and even in places like the Bronx, there is tons of retail everywhere. So why are we so under-retailed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 06:16 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,514,198 times
Probably because more wealthy people in the region live in the suburbs of VA & they are served by Tysons Mall which has several high end retailers. Maybe they see no need to move into the city that has less rich people when they are doing fine in Tysons.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:20 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,097 times
DC will be even more under-retailed once Metro's Silver Line is complete. This will lead more shoppers into Tysons Corner, causing many DC retailors to lose money & shut-down!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:05 PM

41 posts, read 53,728 times
The retail is spread out throughout the region.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:04 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
Why is DC so under-retailed? This is one of the most affluent cities in the country based on per capita income, yet all over the city, there seems to be empty retail spaces. I'm continually shocked at how many empty stores there are in downtown. Even the eagerly-awaited CityCenter is almost completely built, and to my knowledge, there have been no major retail announcements, leading me to believe that the developers have been unable to attract high-caliber retailers to the center. And it's not just downtown. Look at Navy Yard, which despite all the new construction and expensive housing still has empty retail spaces abound. I always hear the argument that the rent is too high, but cities like New York and San Francisco have thriving retail even in with high rents. Further, isn't rent driven by supply and demand? If there's a high number of vacant storefronts, then you'd expect that rents would fall, but that doesn't seem to have happened here. Another argument is that poor neighborhoods are not good marketplaces, but poor people shop too, and even in places like the Bronx, there is tons of retail everywhere. So why are we so under-retailed?
You do realize things were not always this way right?
Block after block DC used to be filled with every single type of retail that you can imagine.

I personally believe those days could return but store rents are too high and not worth the risk to many smaller retailers.

So ultimately who is going to occupy many of those vacant storefronts?
Probably more CVS, Starbucks & Whole Foods stores.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:17 PM

DC needs to lower its sales tax to compete with VA

Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 AM

566 posts, read 1,557,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyBrGr View Post
DC needs to lower its sales tax to compete with VA
DC's sales tax is lower than VA. It's 5.75% in DC and 6% in VA.

Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 AM

12,905 posts, read 18,756,320 times
This thread goes against everything I've read on this forum or elsewhere about "booming DC." What's up with that?

Old 01-20-2014, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
This thread goes against everything I've read on this forum or elsewhere about "booming DC." What's up with that?
retail isn't booming like the real estate market. But eventually it will start booming because the city population is growing so quickly

Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbed Enthusiasm View Post
DC's sales tax is lower than VA. It's 5.75% in DC and 6% in VA.
Depends on where you shop in VA. The sales tax set by the state i 5.3% (4.3% goes to the state, 1% goes to the local towns) and then in some NoVa localities there is a .7% tax added on, making 6% the absolute maximum. The .7% was just added on last year too and a lot of people don't know about it. But very few areas of NoVa actually have the 6% sales tax. So in most areas of VA it is 5.3%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC