Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 19,201 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a single parent in my early 30s and have my 8 year old daughter full time. I'm debating living in Old Town Alexandria (near the Braddock Road Metro Station where tons of new apartments are going up right now.) or Dowtown. I work in Thomas Circle and would love to have an easy commute and get home early with my daughter but the rent can be pretty steep in the District.

I'm aware that the DC schools are pretty bad, but have found a few in the Capitol Hill area that seem better than most. Alexandria also doesn't have very good elementary schools, but there is an affordable private school in Old Town that will accept her and it is a very good option but relatively pricey.

I'm really wondering about the night life. U Street Corridor & 14th St are areas that I really enjoy and I've always thought the Old town crowd was a little odd … but possibly more in the age range I'm looking for (a little bit older). I guess my question is mostly, how is the single's scene in Old Town? Is it just me that feels that it draws a slightly odd crowd compared to DC? Is it good for being single or really own for date nights…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 07:21 PM

114 posts, read 171,039 times
I'm about 30 and made this decision a couple of years ago when I went to purchase. I considered Arlington, DC and Alexandria. I chose Alexandria because I figured I'd be here for a while and I was already becoming a little too old for the Arlington and DC party crowds. Since I was purchasing, I knew I'd be there for a while and sort of "planned ahead". The nightlife in Alexandria is pretty good, and there's plenty of places with younger crowds, but there's also places for a more subdued, mature night in. The metro ride to chinatown is about 20 minutes, which is a kinda a bummer, but not that bad.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Thanks! This is honestly really helpful … I'm glad you enjoy the nightlife there and don't feel that you are missing too much by not being in the district. 20 min metro ride is definitely doable when I want to be downtown.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:37 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
I'd vote Old Town/Braddock Rd for 30+. DC/Northern Arlington has lots to offer, but its not worth the cost, or the hassle of being around a bunch of 25 year olds.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Location: YOU are NOT a Washingtonian. YOU are a GENTRIFIER from the CVS, Whole Foods, Starbucks & Condos era.
367 posts, read 642,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarterguy View Post
I'd vote Old Town/Braddock Rd for 30+. DC/Northern Arlington has lots to offer, but its not worth the cost, or the hassle of being around a bunch of 25 year olds.
I agree.
Those 25 year olds in DC you speak of will eventually make the move to Virginia or Maryland when their future children reach middle school age.

Old 01-27-2014, 01:12 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
There are plenty of bars in DC frequented by people in their 30s and up. It's not like just because you're in DC you HAVE to go to bars with nothing but people fresh out of college.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:11 PM

458 posts, read 644,646 times
Are you a conservative or a liberal?
If you are a liberal then avoid old town as much as you can.
U street is the better option for you.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:09 AM

I enjoy places like the Gibson and Bar JoJo on U Street and Pearl Dive on 14th, which have a more classy/ cultural vibe and a slightly older crowd, but I still usually feel that at most places downtown I'm toping out the age brackets at 32. Where do the 30s crowds hang out downtown after happy hour?

I grew up in Old Town and went to high school in DC ... so I'm pretty familiar with the area. But I've been living elsewhere for the last 8 years and just moved back relatively recently. Arlington is definitely too young of a crowd for me ... if I wanted sticky floors and dollar beers I'd go back to college. I find that the diversity of people in DC is what I love - there is no "type" but it's really pricey and just seems younger (at least at the bars).

Old Town seems ideal ... except that I always thought the crowd was a bit 'odd' ... hmm kind of difficult to explain. I'm hoping things have changed! What bars in Old Town do some of you go to and enjoy? I'd love to go try one out and see what the vibe is if anyone has suggestions

Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,852,021 times
I would vote for the Conn Ave corridor in DC. Neighborhoods like Cleveland Park and Friendship Heights seem well-suited to what you are looking for. I lived in Adams Morgan and the U St corridor in my 20s and would not live there now (in my 30s). Personally, Cleveland Park is my favorite neighborhood in the city.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM

114 posts, read 171,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSloan View Post
Are you a conservative or a liberal?
If you are a liberal then avoid old town as much as you can.
U street is the better option for you.
Alexandria has voted more liberal in the past elections than anywhere else in Northern Virginia, including Arlington. Old Town is about the most liberal collection of upper middle/class wealthy people that you'll find in the entire state....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: