Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,987,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ this lady told me a few hundred thousand would not be enough to retire on really after you add up all your expenses to live comfortably for a decade or more.
If you make 5-6% on your investments, it would take $1 million to yield an annual income of $50-60 thousand. That's not a whole lot in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 12:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
Most Americans will only dream of retiring on a few hundred thousand, so she either doesn't know how to manage money or expects to live the high life into retirement.

say if you retired today at 65 but kept on living for 2 more decades in this economy.
do you think you would have enough to survive? it's not a matter of not being able
to manage money per se but live the lifestyle to which you're accustomed here on out.
i mean if you're some type of whiz, you can flip that money i guess, but she was just
talking about what it would be like having that one amount alone and wondering how
long would it actually last.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:53 PM

273 posts, read 348,352 times
Quote:
say if you retired today at 65 but kept on living for 2 more decades in this economy.
do you think you would have enough to survive? it's not a matter of not being able
to manage money per se but live the lifestyle to which you're accustomed here on out.
i mean if you're some type of whiz, you can flip that money i guess, but she was just
talking about what it would be like having that one amount alone and wondering how
long would it actually last.
With, say, $300,000 in the bank? Yea, I'd have enough. I'd move out of DC and watch my money, but that's a sizeable next egg. DC is one of the most expensive places in the country. She shouldn't stay here, and she doesn't have to stay here.

As I look at it, there are millions of Americans in places like Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Buffalo who will retire with far less than that lady will have after selling her house. My point is that it's incorrect to act like she's suffering cause she sold her place and made several hundred thousand. That's a lot of money, you can retire on it, and most Americans would kill to be in that situation. She's someone to be envied, not pitied.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:31 PM

^ smh i agree with you, except i never said anything about her suffering. she's just a regular person who works and she was contemplating her future retirement and how much it would actually cost for her to live for however many years afterwards. $300,000 is a lot but how quick would you spend it living the way you do now is what she was talking about. you know mortgage is high, gas is high, food is high, clothing is high, electricity is high, vacations are high, etc.

add it up and see the main reason why some old people
don't consider retiring to ever really be a logical option
but a dream.

Old 02-03-2014, 02:58 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Wait... why are we talking about a windfall as if it's a burden?

Old 02-03-2014, 05:49 PM

709 posts, read 1,129,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Natives, whether in New England, the deep south, far west, etc always think they "own" the local area.
Its sad that grown adult humans think this way.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KStreetQB View Post
Wait... why are we talking about a windfall as if it's a burden?
because you basically need to be a millionaire to retire to maintain a
middle class lifestyle, if you plan on living years and years afterward.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM

273 posts, read 348,352 times
Quote:
because you basically need to be a millionaire to retire to maintain a
middle class lifestyle, if you plan on living years and years afterward.
Are you assuming this person must stay in DC? Because you absolutely do not need to be a millionaire to have a comfortable, middle class retirement in a whole lot of Florida.

Sound money management means making wise trade offs.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:51 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,457,699 times
Quote:
because you basically need to be a millionaire to retire to maintain a middle class lifestyle.
I would argue that is a wholly inaccurate statement to begin with. However, whether you're talking about someone who saved enough money for a comfortable retirement, or whether you're talking about someone who has saved nothing, buying a house for $100,000 and selling it for $600,000 is an opportunity that most homeowners wouldn't dare to dream of. The counterpoint of "yeah, but I can't live off of it in perpetuity" seems bizarre to me.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:53 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
Are you assuming this person must stay in DC? Because you absolutely do not need to be a millionaire to have a comfortable, middle class retirement in a whole lot of Florida.

Sound money management means making wise trade offs.
Or many other places. DC is an exception, not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: