Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 08:36 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
As this article indicates, there are different ways to measure housing preferences - where people are prepared to spend the most money, where the values are highest per square foot, etc.

A look at the 2013 D.C. region housing market data by Zip code

Insofar as this particular thread is concerned, it's hard to argue with the idea that many Arlington residents would not want to give up control of their local government and school system to be part of a larger District of Columbia. The things that you think make DC "more fun and interesting" would still be on the other side of the Potomac. In fact, Congress's directive that development should be concentrated in the "Washington County" part of the District was one reason why Virginia eventually concluded it had gotten the short end of the stick and would be better off if the area was returned to Virginia.
I never argued otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 AM

708 posts, read 1,205,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Are you kidding me? You live in this metro area and you don't know that many people prefer DC to NoVa? Just look at the housing prices in Dupont Circle, Logan Circle, etc. There is nowhere in NoVa that commands such a premium.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live in Arlington again. DC is so much more fun and interesting.
Yes there is, Clarendon and Rosslyn, some of old town.....quick search shows they are almost dollar for dollar. BELIEVE me, I wish that weren't the case....

So I ask again - pricing the same - what is the attractiveness of living in DC vs NOVA? Your post is not 100% accurate.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:55 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicnice View Post
Yes there is, Clarendon and Rosslyn, some of old town.....quick search shows they are almost dollar for dollar. BELIEVE me, I wish that weren't the case....

So I ask again - pricing the same - what is the attractiveness of living in DC vs NOVA? Your post is not 100% accurate.
The pricing is not the same when you take into account price per square foot. If you have a $1,500 apartment in Clarendon and a $1,500 one in Dupont, the one in Dupont is likely to be smaller. So yes, people are paying more of a premium to be in DC. The link JEB77 posted shows that DC zipcodes have the highest price per square foot.

Why do many people prefer DC to Virginia? You'd have to ask them. Personally I prefer DC to Arlington (having lived in both) because of higher density, more things to walk to and better aesthetics. I find historic rowhomes more interesting than beige condo buildings and typical suburban homes.

The one thing I do like about NoVa over DC is more cheap, hole in the wall ethnics restaurants in the suburbs, but I can just drive to those so that poses no real reason for me to move to Virginia.

Also, a lot of people work in downtown DC so living in NoVa would mean a longer commute for them.

Last edited by stateofnature; 02-04-2014 at 08:06 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,459,112 times
Price per square foot data from Dupont Circle, Clarendon, old town, Rosslyn (Rosslyn is an unincorporated area that encompasses North Rosslyn and Radnor/Ft. Meyer). For clarity - Dupont is the purple line on the top, Radnor-Ft. Meyer is the purple line on the bottom.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC