Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:06 PM

324 posts, read 467,547 times

Advertisements

title.

i really dont want to live in the suburbs. i would be ok with a ~40 minute commute, but really don't want to go any longer than that

thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 PM

138 posts, read 125,333 times
Please feel free to define what you mean by city and suburbs and what you want. Technically, Tysons is suburbs, traffic notwithstanding. McLean is simply part of Fairfax County, a CDP (census designated place). Falls Church and Vienna are cities. DC is clearly a city, with big city taxes. Alexandria is a city. Rosslyn, with a big city feel, isn't even as much as a CDP; it's just a part of Arlington County.

No matter where you are thinking of living, you ought to try a morning drive from where you think you want to live and an evening drive back. Then you can judge "40 minutes".

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathogre View Post
Please feel free to define what you mean by city and suburbs and what you want. Technically, Tysons is suburbs, traffic notwithstanding. McLean is simply part of Fairfax County, a CDP (census designated place). Falls Church and Vienna are cities. DC is clearly a city, with big city taxes. Alexandria is a city. Rosslyn, with a big city feel, isn't even as much as a CDP; it's just a part of Arlington County.

No matter where you are thinking of living, you ought to try a morning drive from where you think you want to live and an evening drive back. Then you can judge "40 minutes".
let's be real here... you know what i mean

i don't really consider arlington the city. old town Alexandria i suppose i would call the "city," but i mean DC... this is the DC forum

Last edited by r_u_a_wizard; 02-11-2014 at 07:31 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Anywhere downtown if Silver Line will get you to work.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:32 AM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
If your office is walking distance from the Silver Line, then you can pretty much live anywhere along the to-be-opened Silver Line. Keep in mind that the ride will be long (perhaps even slightly longer than driving since DC-Tysons is a reverse commute) and that the fare will probably be more than $5 each way. If you need to drive to your office, or would just prefer to drive, I would recommend Southwest, Navy Yard, or Capitol Hill for their easy access to I-395 which zips you across to VA where you can pick up I-66. I do this commute several times a month, and usually it's a 45 minute drive each way.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathogre View Post

What an oddly biased response. When people talk about living in the city here, they mean DC proper. Everything else is defined as some form of a suburb, even if it's more urban than parts of the District.

The pretty small amount taken out for local taxes are generally a minimal concern for most deciding to live here but with the silver line opening any marginal changes in tax rates may well be made up by not needing car expenses or daily car dependence, depending where in Tysons his job is.

To the OP, I'd say either West End near Foggy Bottom Metro for a shorter commute or over by Eastern Market for a better neighborhood. Wherever you choose, the orange line will be your friend.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:50 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Travel times to/from Tysons will be similar to those from Vienna, so Foggy Bottom will be ~25 minutes in transit and Eastern Market ~40, plus walking/waiting times. Both have very high rents, but feel very different.

Also, I'm glad that someone pointed out that we pay low, low big city taxes.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Im pretty sure I would just drive so metro access isn't hugely important. Would gtown to tysons be a reasonable commute?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:47 PM

566 posts, read 1,556,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_u_a_wizard View Post
Im pretty sure I would just drive so metro access isn't hugely important. Would gtown to tysons be a reasonable commute?
It would take you about 30 minutes without a traffic meltdown if you take the Key Bridge to the Parkway to Chain Bridge Rd. which can take you into Tysons Corner.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:04 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
In theory, Georgetown would take about 30 minutes, but getting from anywhere in Georgetown down to M Street (possibly the worst bottleneck in the city) and over to Key Bridge can take who-knows-how-long. If you're driving, it would be much easier to live near Rosslyn and just walk across to G'town whenever, or to live in Foggy Bottom as you can then take the Whitehurst Freeway and avoid M Street.

Neighbors of mine here in Southwest who commute to Tysons say that it takes 45 minutes, pretty reliably in the mornings but less so in the evenings (especially during peak shopping seasons). Metro would take about 50 minutes, and would be more reliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: