Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:08 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,934,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
Can you explain what HHI stands for? house hold income?

I don't know anyone, at least under 30, who makes even half of your quoted salary of 108k. Wow, where are all those jobs?? I guess those numbers must be skewed by a small percentage that earns tons (I did meet half a dozen or so people making 200-250+K a year) but met x100 who are in the 30-50K. But I guess the few who make a lot are enough to skew the numbers up to 108K. I just wonder what the numbers are without the top 5-10% earners
I made a topic about DC incomes a year ago discussing it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ngs-arent.html

here's updated info from 2012

American FactFinder - Results *

Most people make that much are living together married. Once you look at single person households, it shrinks. DC isn't Paris. What I mean by that is that it's a town full of people with high educational attainment making an upper middle class income. When they get married, they skew the median upwards, but it's still upper middle class. In places like Paris, you have a bunch of millionaires and celebrities walking around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 04:23 PM

27,220 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Plus, you've got to realize that people over 30 make a whole lot more money than people 30 and under. ;-)

Old 02-15-2014, 09:36 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,942,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
I made a topic about DC incomes a year ago discussing it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/washi...ngs-arent.html

here's updated info from 2012

American FactFinder - Results *

Most people make that much are living together married. Once you look at single person households, it shrinks. DC isn't Paris. What I mean by that is that it's a town full of people with high educational attainment making an upper middle class income. When they get married, they skew the median upwards, but it's still upper middle class. In places like Paris, you have a bunch of millionaires and celebrities walking around.
This. DC has a ton of upper-middle income people, essentially the professional class. This is not the top 1% of the US for the most part, but the top 20%. I have met millionaires in the area, but far more common is the two income household earning $200K. Enough to afford their $600K-$700K house they saved to make the downpayment for, but not super rich by any means. They are gentrifiers, and moderately affluent, but not outright rich. They often are mid-career, well educated lawyers, scientists, military officers, or public servants.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:13 AM

27 posts, read 36,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmusic29 View Post
Can you explain what HHI stands for? house hold income?

I don't know anyone, at least under 30, who makes even half of your quoted salary of 108k. Wow, where are all those jobs?? I guess those numbers must be skewed by a small percentage that earns tons (I did meet half a dozen or so people making 200-250+K a year) but met x100 who are in the 30-50K. But I guess the few who make a lot are enough to skew the numbers up to 108K. I just wonder what the numbers are without the top 5-10% earners
By 29 I was at 108, by 30.5 I was at 130. Nothing too crazy, I know people younger than me making more in non-lobbyist or legal fields.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
My mistake the degree is in art, the course is basket weaving.. My son has a EE degree from a B10 school. Want to compare?
Tell us what he makes, his major and profession, and I'm sure people will be happy to compare. B10 degree just means he had to move the hell away from there to find employment after graduating because of the economic hole that exists in the rustbelt where the B10 is.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,674 times
Maryland is in the B10.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:55 PM

999 posts, read 2,002,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's not higher than San Francisco. It is higher than Seattle, however.
Actually, looking at the percentage of white college graduates, the Atlanta region ranked higher than SF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I'm sure it does. But why would you assume that more white people in Atlanta would have degrees from those places than whites in DC? It's not exactly cheap to live in Buckhead or Midtown based on what the jobs pay down there.
I guess because earning a college degree from a traditional public or non-profit university carries more currency in Washington, DC. Employers here really do pay attention to your academic history. Law firms, think tanks, Congressional offices, media businesses, international development NGOs like to promote themselves as organizations filled with "smart" people. The smart people usually come from elite universities and colleges.

In Atlanta, it's mostly private corporations running the economy. Business leaders care more about your skills, past workplace accomplishments and relationships with customers, clients or vendors than a degree hanging on your wall. Earning a degree from Emory is not a huge advantage if an employer can find a skilled & results-proven candidate with a bachelor's degree from Georgia Southern University. If anything, someone with a degree from Vanderbilt or Emory might have more successful matches in the Washington, DC market because many jobs here offer stimulating intellectual challenges.

In a way, I admire the job market in Atlanta more. There's a stronger meritocratic foundation inside the suburban office parks around Atlanta than what you find in Washington, DC. Many people with degrees from smaller known colleges or private (for-profit) institutions get hired by businesses. Quite a few have been promoted to corporate executive positions. It's true in Atlanta and probably every other job market from Maine to Hawaii. Except for one geographical market.

In order to get your foot in the DC professional job market, you have to be already privileged with your family background and educational attainment. Privilege gets you entry into The Club. DC professional offices are like clubs with a red velvet rope and bouncers outside the front door. I guarantee that a degree from a small liberal arts college in North Dakota or an online degree from the University of Phoenix will not get you past the red velvet rope or the mean-looking bouncer.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Maryland is in the B10.
They are as of next year. For now, my statement stands.

Old 02-17-2014, 05:26 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,784,694 times
While you are talking about white people only, I am getting the impression that some posters don't understand that in their analysis of the nature of the residents of the cities listed:

For example, according to the latest census, only 27% of the population of Atlanta, over 25 years old has a college degree:

Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

While 51% of residents- all races- in DC over 25% have a college degree

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

This shows a significant difference between DC and Atlanta not shown in your previous chart.

Your other stats for the white population in general are very dissimilar to the census results for all races.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:32 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,945,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCities View Post
They are as of next year. For now, my statement stands.
Your comment that the B10 is synonymous with the rust belt is ignorant. That stands. The B10 is the most accomplished conference from an academic standpoint. Every school is a member of the AAU. They are the elite of public universities. Most of the states with universities in the B10 are among the more prosperous states in the union.

Last edited by DCforever; 02-17-2014 at 07:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: