Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM

494 posts, read 849,880 times

Advertisements

So if you have been following my posts, you know I have been looking to move to DC. I have been looking at Brookland and Silver Spring and Petworth and Columbia Heights and they fit in my price range. However, I have looked at areas near the Fort Totten Metro and they are significantly cheaper. After thinking about it, there are less walkable options and less retail and retaurants. But it's on 3 metro lines and if it's close to the metro, it will still be accessible to Silver Spring and downtown. I have thought the same of the area near the Rhode Island Ave metro. I imagine both areas would be up and coming and good investments.
Am I crazy? Are these areas safe? Is the development that I imagine would be inevitable due to proximity to metro gong to happen? I'll be up there in a couple of weeks to take a look, but I'd like some opinions from people here. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 07:13 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,960,312 times
Look into Takoma, DC. It's very close to Silver Spring, one stop up from Ft. Totten, and has better amenities then either of these places, with some houses still in a similar price range. Frankly, if you are looking to buy and to see some growth in value, this would be it. It's also one of the safest neighborhoods in DC. Especially with Walter Reed coming soon, and a Busboys and Poets imminent.
What is your price range. It probably helps the entirety of the neighborhood is within a mile of the metro station.

I used to live in Eckington, RI is okay, but you should be selective where you live in that area. I don't know but RI itself and that area can be a little noisy with RI itself being several lanes. Ft Totten I cannot comment on. But there are four or five neighborhoods by that metro, some better than others. Again, the area is not bad, but you have better options.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
I had a few friends live at the apartments next to the metro and they liked it, but you have to understand that it is a commuting lifestyle. Until the construction is complete it is almost 90% residential within walking distance (outside of a couple of fast food joints, a 7-11 and a church or two). My friends liked it but it was a PITA to drive to from VA.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:36 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
I live in the Rhode Island Row apartment complex next to the metro. I love it but it fits my lifestyle now which is very much a go-go-go lifestyle.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:31 PM

I should note it would be good to know your price range and what you are looking for.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 PM

494 posts, read 849,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
I should note it would be good to know your price range and what you are looking for.
500-800K, SFH or town home, walking distance to Metro. Would like to have parking and small amount of yard for dogs, but these are not necessary.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
500-800K, SFH or town home, walking distance to Metro. Would like to have parking and small amount of yard for dogs, but these are not necessary.
Look into something in Takoma or Shepherd Park if that is your price range. It is probably your best option considering your budget, especially if you want to live close to the metro. If you don't have kids Takoma is the better option, your dollar would go further. Every house in the Takoma DC neighborhood is within a mile of the metro, most have yards and are still in your budget. If your goal is to come in at the low end especially, but still move in a nice neighborhood. The only thing not so great about Takoma is the school. So there are more DINKs buying houses in the area right now.

This is not to say Rhode Island is bad, but I moved from around Eckington to Takoma/Shepherd Park area and the change was a significant improvement. It's just a better neighborhood than those around Ft. Totten or Rhode Island.

Example: This is a NORMAL house in Takoma, around $600K 819 Aspen St Nw, WASHINGTON Property Listing: MLS® #DC8274156

Then there are the mid-moderns in the area. They often need improvement, but a little goes a long way. This is less than $500K, and still available.
806 Floral Pl Nw, WASHINGTON Property Listing: MLS® #DC8281729

Basically you have other areas to look at which are safer then near Ft. Totten, or Rhode Island, but still at the low end of your budget.

I should note, I WALK to silver spring from this area, it's a twenty minute walk into downtown from where I live. 10 minute or less walk to the metro. It's a great area. While you may not get into colonial village, Shepherd Park and Takoma are both in your budget. Especially if Downtown Silver Spring is already on your radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC