U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 16,215 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

In looking to move to DC from Alexandria, we are seeing a few decent priced homes in SW Waterfront area, specifically around Navy Yard/Waterfront metros.

This neighborhood is a blank slate for me, the only experience I have is driving to stadium for Nats games. Anyone live here or can give us some insights?

Any decent grocery stores in the area? Restaurants? Is it safe at night, walking the dog etc?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 12:57 PM

2,149 posts, read 3,771,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Goose View Post
Hi all,

In looking to move to DC from Alexandria, we are seeing a few decent priced homes in SW Waterfront area, specifically around Navy Yard/Waterfront metros.

This neighborhood is a blank slate for me, the only experience I have is driving to stadium for Nats games. Anyone live here or can give us some insights?

Any decent grocery stores in the area? Restaurants? Is it safe at night, walking the dog etc?

Thanks!
I live on 4th in SW Waterfront, it depends on the area you're looking in around here. I think 4th, M, I, and G are relatively safe. After that there's section 8 and it varies from block to block. But if you're in that area I mentioned, you've got Safeway, Metro, CVS, a Z-Burger, Subway, an Indian restaurant opening in June, and a cleaners all w/in walking distance.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:04 PM

Thanks DomRep, the home is on 1/2 St SW, right off M.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM

2,149 posts, read 3,771,604 times
Quote:
Thanks DomRep, the home is on 1/2 St SW, right off M.
Supermarket should be w/in walking distance. Overall, it's a very walkable area. And as long as you stick to the main streets you shouldn't have a problem. This area is transitioning so things are still block to block.

Old 02-14-2014, 11:10 PM

465 posts, read 857,016 times
East of South Capitol (navy yard area) is pretty darn safe. If you're anywhere near the New Jersey exit of Navy Yard, it's a very safe area with way more stuff than SW Waterfront has.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:54 AM

3,303 posts, read 10,929,199 times
Half Street always seemed a little sketchier to me than other parts of SW, but I wouldn't call it unsafe by any means. I think that area in particular is in the process of being fixed up, so you could get a good deal on a place.

I love SW, I lived there for 4 years on G Street and convinced my boyfriend to move here so I have a reason to come back frequently (not that I don't enjoy my new neighborhood). Its a little quiet, but you're close to the new places opening up in the Navy Yard and can walk to Capitol Hill, Penn Quarter, or Chinatown. There's also a lot of redevelopment on, so there should be more and more coming up on the future. If you google "Southwest...the Little Quadrant that Could" you'll get a neighborhood blog that discusses the area. JDLand is another one.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:37 PM

465 posts, read 857,016 times
JDLand only does Navy Yard/near Southeast.

Old 02-15-2014, 03:07 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,477,431 times
For someone moving from Alexandria, "transitional" is a pretty charitable description of that particular block. I also live on 4th St SW, and well, 1/2 St SW is very different than 1/2 St SE or 4th St SW. The housing projects in Southwest are entirely between 1/2 (i.e., across the street from that house) and 3rd St SW, and these blocks do account for an outsized share of local crime (e.g., 86% of Southwest's homicides in the 2000s).

While I sometimes walk to SE via M St and P St, I usually prefer to bike or take the bus. It's dark, there are few "eyes on the street," traffic on M is fast, and yes, there are guys hanging out even when it's cold. There's also no near-term plan to add a mixed-income component to the public/Section 8 housing south of M, unlike those north of M.

Sure, crime happens everywhere, that block consists of particularly sturdy rowhouses (the Washington Sanitary Improvement Company, unlike most rowhouse developers, built its housing as a long-term investment), construction by the stadium has come back, and there are long term ideas to replace the post office & auto repair shops just north with more inviting mixed-use development. In other words, it's a sound long-term investment. However, if I personally were buying a place to live rather than a long-term investment, I'd rather buy one of the rowhouses facing Carrollsburg Place just east of 1/2.

Only you can judge how safe you'll feel, though. Maybe next week, when it gets warm again, take 20 minutes and walk from Gordon Biersch back to the Waterfront metro entrance along M.

For what it's worth, from that location you'd probably go to the CVS or restaurants in Near SE more often than those at Waterfront. Not only half as far to the Half Street entrance of the Navy Yard metro, but crossing S. Capitol doesn't take that long since most of the traffic is submerged at M St.

Last edited by paytonc; 02-15-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 AM

Thanks for your info everyone. Yes, Half St SW is very different from Alexandria (ha!), but I am not too concerned about the govt housing across the street. There is a police station a block down and a firestation directly across the street. I hope I am not wrong! I met one of the residents and he said the govt housing will be torn down in 4 years.

The rowhouse we are looking at is double the space we would get up on Cap Hill/Kingman Park for the same amount of money. Of course, I would be very cautious and probably install security system and/or bars on the window. And the block from ballpark on is definately undergoing a facelift. I drove around there yesterday and it was just hopping with construction.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:49 AM

465 posts, read 577,221 times
Quote:
Thanks for your info everyone. Yes, Half St SW is very different from Alexandria (ha!), but I am not too concerned about the govt housing across the street. There is a police station a block down and a firestation directly across the street. I hope I am not wrong! I met one of the residents and he said the govt housing will be torn down in 4 years.

The rowhouse we are looking at is double the space we would get up on Cap Hill/Kingman Park for the same amount of money. Of course, I would be very cautious and probably install security system and/or bars on the window. And the block from ballpark on is definately undergoing a facelift. I drove around there yesterday and it was just hopping with construction.

Southwest...The Little Quadrant That Could: Greenleaf Gardens Recipient of Hope VI Grant

Greenleaf Redevelopment Could Be Delayed as D.C. Misses Cut on Planning Grant - Housing Complex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: