Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 9,411 times

Advertisements

Ok let me give a little perspective... I was born and raised on the Eastern Shore of Maryland BUT in an area that's just across the Bay Bridge. So most of my free time was spent in Annapolis and that's also where I work. So I am not the hunter/camo wearing/mudding/redneck stereotype people have of the Eastern Shore. Just a normal guy that happens to live across the bridge.

Now, I am 25, turning 26 this summer... would be moving either this fall/winter or sometime next year to the Bethesda/Silver Spring area or NW DC. We can't decide if we want to lose our Maryland citizenship.

I have no college degree and I go back and forth on whether I will pursue one...I know that's a MAJOR handicap in the DC job market, but is it one for the social scene as well?

Would I be too old at 26/27 to move to DC and adjust to city life and make a solid new cirlce of friends? I've wanted to move since I was 13 and now my boyfriend and I really are ready for it. He's from the DC suburbs so he's ready to get back home, as we are living on the Eastern Shore right now (same sex couples can't exactly walk holding hands over here, so it will be a welcome change).

I know with neither of us having a degree it would be a struggle... but combined we make about $70k and would be debt free when we make the move. Until we want to buy new cars. Is that reasonable for a studio or 1 bedroom in NW or Bethesda?

Most importantly I just don't want to be seen as an outsider when we move. As far as income/education and age goes. Is it ever too old to move to DC, which seems to be such a fun yet young city? I appreciate any and all input on some or all of my questions. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 01:54 PM

2,090 posts, read 3,574,402 times
26 too old? Are you serious???? You're still very young and will be for a long time. I don't know who told you that the city is all 21 year olds, but that's far from the case. Plenty of people in their late 20s, 30s, 40s, etc, hanging out and living all over the city.
There are lots of bars where people in their 30s and older might feel too old (and plenty of bars where they would not), but I literally can't think of a single establishment where someone who is 25, 26, 27 would stick out.

Expect to pay at least $1500 to $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood.

Don't buy a new car until you know you will need one. If your employer is close to public transportation and your neighborhood has good Metro access, owning a car in the city is not necessary at all and you can save a ton of money by not having to own or maintain a car.

Old 02-16-2014, 02:52 PM

324 posts, read 467,386 times
Way too old for sure. Maybe move someplace where you can enjoy some peace and quiet in your twilight years.

I know of some nice communities in Florida that might be a good fit.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:02 PM

5 posts, read 9,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
26 too old? Are you serious???? You're still very young and will be for a long time. I don't know who told you that the city is all 21 year olds, but that's far from the case. Plenty of people in their late 20s, 30s, 40s, etc, hanging out and living all over the city.
There are lots of bars where people in their 30s and older might feel too old (and plenty of bars where they would not), but I literally can't think of a single establishment where someone who is 25, 26, 27 would stick out.

Expect to pay at least $1500 to $2000 a month for a 1 bedroom in a decent neighborhood.

Don't buy a new car until you know you will need one. If your employer is close to public transportation and your neighborhood has good Metro access, owning a car in the city is not necessary at all and you can save a ton of money by not having to own or maintain a car.
Thank you. I was actually told by an acquaintance who lives in DC that it would be hard if I don't already have an established circle of friends and that since I haven't lived in the city before I would be set in my ways too much already. But I didn't want to believe that. I was thinking more along the lines of what you said but wanted to type out my worst case scenario concerns just in case. Thank you for honestly answering!

Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,702,097 times
Definitely, definitely not too old. This isn't a college town like Boston. This is where all those people come to build a career.

I see 40-50 somethings regularly hanging out at bars or walking their dogs or their kids - and a lot of older gay men, which you are most definitely not.

I know a lot of friendships that have formed through dating networks, even other peoples. They realize they're not soulmates but like hanging out or incorporate the new person into their group and new friendships emerge.

I actually think it's easier to make friends when you're a little older here. People aren't hanging out with all their International Relations fellow grads anymore or their old group moved away as happens in DC; the "who do you know" pretentions of 23 year olds trying to make a name for themselves on the Hill give way to "where can I get a good drink?" once people are settled into their careers.

Your bigger hurdle may be the income / no degree. It's hard to go out to dinner with new friends when you're making $35k. A degree itself isn't really what matters socially but I've found blue collar folks just don't feel really comfortable or welcomed by the majority of the professional DC culture. I don't know where you fall in that regard, but don't let that stop you. DC residents are far more laid back and down-to-earth than they get credit for.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 PM

720 posts, read 1,554,422 times
who says there's an age limit where you can no longer make new friends? so long as you stay open-minded and make honest efforts, you would do fine in DC.

a lot of folks like your acquaintance limit themselves with that type of thinking. like the type who only hang out with alumni from whatever school they went to. Don't be afraid to branch out. IMO, only hanging out with people who think just like you limits who you know, what you know, how you think, etc. New things typically come out of your weak ties (our friends of friends of friends, etc.)

I would just say if you're going to move here and want to make new friends, it will take some work. dont be a homebody with your bf 24/7. do some things on your own outside that will give you a chance to meet other folks (e.g. yoga class, volunteering, meetups, gym, etc.) don't turn down a party invite or happy hour invite just to sit at home with your bf. Be willing to open your mouth on the metro and just say hi. some people will be receptive, others will look at you crazy. just the way it is

Old 02-16-2014, 05:13 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,206,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Definitely, definitely not too old. This isn't a college town like Boston. This is where all those people come to build a career.

I see 40-50 somethings regularly hanging out at bars or walking their dogs or their kids - and a lot of older gay men, which you are most definitely not.

I know a lot of friendships that have formed through dating networks, even other peoples. They realize they're not soulmates but like hanging out or incorporate the new person into their group and new friendships emerge.

I actually think it's easier to make friends when you're a little older here. People aren't hanging out with all their International Relations fellow grads anymore or their old group moved away as happens in DC; the "who do you know" pretentions of 23 year olds trying to make a name for themselves on the Hill give way to "where can I get a good drink?" once people are settled into their careers.

Your bigger hurdle may be the income / no degree. It's hard to go out to dinner with new friends when you're making $35k. A degree itself isn't really what matters socially but I've found blue collar folks just don't feel really comfortable or welcomed by the majority of the professional DC culture. I don't know where you fall in that regard, but don't let that stop you. DC residents are far more laid back and down-to-earth than they get credit for.
This.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:05 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,685,312 times
Lol, I expected you to say you were 65+. No, you're not too old.

Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 AM

494 posts, read 849,509 times
God, I hope not. I'm in my mid 30s and considering the move. You must think I'm on my deathbed.

Oh, to be 26 again...

Old 02-18-2014, 07:31 AM

194 posts, read 400,533 times
How are you making 70 grand a year when neither one of you have college degrees? I have a BA, and make less than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC