Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 02:54 PM

465 posts, read 657,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy17 View Post
Well is it true?

No it's not true in fact there are many Neighborhoods in SE DC and NE DC where you would probably never see a mixed couple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I think it fair to say I have been to the great majority, if not all of them.

This area is not Mississippi of 1923. Even Mississippi of 2014 is not Mississippi of 1923.

Mixed race couples are not harassed or chased out by pitchfork-yielding mobs in plaid shirts and cowboy hats.

I never said that. I just disagreed with your assumption that all of the neighborhoods in DC have mixed couples or are very accepting of them. I just don't think that's true. In SE DC and in many parts of NE DC you'll barely see a non-Black person let alone a mixed couple. The city doesn't stop at the SW Waterfront you know.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:26 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
I never said that. I just disagreed with your assumption that all of the neighborhoods in DC have mixed couples or are very accepting of them. I just don't think that's true. In SE DC and in many parts of NE DC you'll barely see a non-Black person let alone a mixed couple. The city doesn't stop at the SW Waterfront you know.
Then I guess he or she should strike those areas off the list. That only leaves thousands of other options.

Thanks for the geography lesson. Despite being born and raised in DC, I must have neglected to ever consult a map.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Then I guess he or she should strike those areas off the list. That only leaves thousands of other options.

Thanks for the geography lesson. Despite being born and raised in DC, I must have neglected to ever consult a map.

Well apparently you did forget to consult a map.... BTW you're not the only one that was born and raised in DC so what's your point?

Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
To me, 'race discussions' are healthy! As a regular observer of the Washington DC forum, the discussion is generally more intellectual, honest, articulated-well, and handled well. I find the discussion here very balanced and healthy.

I find forums where people go way out of their way to avoid anything racial-related to be unhealthy. It's as if they can't even 'go there' as the discussion will spiral out of control. That's not the case here at all.

I'm not saying that that implies there isn't racial problems in DC. But being able to discuss such topics openly, is a major plus.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 02-18-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-18-2014, 05:26 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
This is not only a DC forum phenomenon, many forums seem "obsessed" with race. From what I can tell the main reason is pretty simple - since race is a very sensitive topic, it is rarely discussed in public - unless you're sort of anonymous on the net I personally believe sensitive topics cannot be swept under a rug and ignored, the issues that accompany them should be discussed, but in a calm and respectful way, and that's sometimes quite hard to achieve.
Yac.
+1 I'd rep you a million times if I could Yac

Old 02-18-2014, 07:01 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,210,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcallday View Post
I've seen non-Black people (mostly White) in Brookland, North Michigan Park, Woodbridge, Trinidad, the NE part of Capitol Hill, Michigan Park, Stanton Park, Rhode Island Ave, and Benning Rd.

As for SE, I've seen some around Anacostia as well.

Don't forget that Navy Yard and the other half of Capitol Hill are also part of SE as well.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:52 PM

483 posts, read 532,554 times
To the OP: I think your Silver Spring choice is spot on. I grew up there and you all will not stand out as a couple at all. MCPS is a fine school system, maybe not as great as it used to be but better than most in the country. Try to stay close to the urban downtown if you want more choices on things to do and don't want to fight traffic all the time. Of course living closer to the downtown brings higher prices with it.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I've seen non-Black people (mostly White) in Brookland, North Michigan Park, Woodbridge, Trinidad, the NE part of Capitol Hill, Michigan Park, Stanton Park, Rhode Island Ave, and Benning Rd.

As for SE, I've seen some around Anacostia as well.

Don't forget that Navy Yard and the other half of Capitol Hill are also part of SE as well.

I live off of Rhode Island Ave. NE and there aren't nearly as many as you might think. However, let's just say most parts of NE and SE that are a part of Wards 7 and 8 would you agree?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:48 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,401,825 times
race is not much of an issue in dc if you live in the more diverse neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC