Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:30 AM

60 posts, read 449,353 times

Advertisements

my suggestion is that since it is Spring, join a kickball team. It is huge in DC, and the teams are usually a front for drinking parties afterwards, and people are really social.

Since you are a dog lover, hang out at the dog park.

I also was looking for meet people and I joined a volunteer corps. It is for the LGBT community, but there must be something for not LGBT-folks as well. You choose your event and go volunteer.

Pet stores are always looking for handlers for their pet adoption fairs. It is a good way to give back a little while also meeting people with similar passions.

I dunno...worth a shot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 08:30 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,304,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
My DH and I just got back from yet another bad social event. We moved here a year and a half ago from the midwest, not knowing anyone. It has been really difficult to make friends, and unfortunately even after a year and a half we haven't made any friends yet.

Since we moved here not knowing anyone, we joined a bunch of social groups right when we moved here. Tonight we went to a holiday party from a new social group we joined. We thought from the theme of the group that we'd meet lots of 20's and 30's there--nope--the average age was about 60. Everyone else was 50-70 and the organizers told us they only have one person around our age (late 20's/early 30's), who wasn't at the party.

We keep striking out when it comes to joining groups to try to make friends. Most of the time, we end up at groups that are either meat markets, in which no one is looking to make a same sex friend, or they end up being groups for older people.

Any suggestions on newcomers groups or groups where we can meet other married couples for friendship? We're in our late 20's/early 30's.
Doglover,

I definitely understand as I went through a similar situation when I lived in the area. Frankly, unlike other places, it can be frustrating and as rsosborn mentioned, people need a reason to initiate a conversation. I also feel the transient nature of this area makes it especially hard, as many people here don't remain more than 5 years, some more, some less, but that's about the average. A lot of people here are also consumed with what one does for a living, zip code, place of education and so forth it can get old.

You will eventually meet a lot of people, but connectiing and forming lasting relationships can be difficult here, but on the same token, it's not impossible.

I met some friends at work and through voluntering and a group similar to meetup.com called my people connection. There is also a very active group called meetin.org and has a large following in the area. It took a lot of effort, but the friendships I did make there are what I consider lifelong ones.

You seem like a person that is easygoing and believe me, a lot of people go through this here. But with some effort, you and your husband will make friends.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM

1,134 posts, read 2,866,363 times
Buy a motorcycle... go to bike nights, and join group rides. There are many online forums, and the people range from early 20s to early 40s for the sportbike crowd, and 30's to 60's for the cruiser crowd.

If it weren't for my motorcycle, my wife and I wouldn't have a single friend in the area, instead we have dozens and are VERY active (even off the bike). Same situation as you, and we've been here almost three years.

To meet people you have to have or do something that brings the two of you together... something you can talk about. After that its just becoming familiar and seeing the same faces over and over.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM

11 posts, read 68,567 times
Default i hear ya

Doglover29, I hear ya, My husband and I moved down here four months ago, and I am dying. I haven't gotten a job yet, so I am really looking for conversations with someone other than just my husband. It does get frustrating. I have been on new meetups website and they have alot of different groups of people. Although I may look into the kickball thing that someone mentioned in this thread.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,982 times
I've lived in DC now for about 6 years, half as a single girl the other half as part of a couple. I found as a single person I had tons of single friends, most of whom don't live in the area anymore, and we comiserated about being single and went out. Now that I am happily engaged all of the single girls have disappeared and it is nearly impossible to find friends that we as a couple and we as individuals enjoy spending time with (we are not together during the week due to jobs in seperate cities). Most of the people I've become friends with have a big agenda, and are very judgemental. I long for the days of backyard bbqs and true connections with friends. I never felt like a social retard until my 30s!

Old 05-27-2008, 06:04 PM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligirlinDC View Post
I never felt like a social retard until my 30s!
childless couples around 30 often struggle to make friends

also tough because that's when people are so into their careers, they can only compare themselves to other people, they can't really communicate with them

plus, many of the groups - meetup, professionals in the city, kickball - are targeted at single people

but people chill out as you get older, also until you have kids, make friends individually, every social non-childed (word?) couple I know has gone that route

Old 05-28-2008, 06:40 PM

658 posts, read 1,893,483 times
I just moved here from Dixie (you all need to smile more) and got a place in Silver Spring right off Thayer Ave. I am looking for the right place to go out to after work on the weekends etc, and also, where NOT to go in Silver Spring. So, any suggestions for a 30 something single male would be appreciated.

thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 AM

6,706 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mettler View Post
So, any suggestions for a 30 something single male would be appreciated.
Arlington is a 30-something happy hour paradise.

Anything between Cafe Asia and Liberty Tavern.

You'll find a lot more single professionals there than in most of MD, just the way it is around here.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 PM

25 posts, read 68,822 times
Try meetup.com, its an excellent way to meet new people. I joined and have to say my social calendar has been booming every since!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC