Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:10 PM

36 posts, read 352,962 times

Advertisements

Looking at the map below, there appears to be a lot of robberies and break-ins for the places along the Ballston/Clarendon/Rosslyn area. Since I'm planning to live there, should I invest in personal protection (guns)? Or is the data on that map a little skewed? I knew DC was pretty unsafe, but I didn't expect the same for Arlington,l ol Crime, Home Sales and Schools in DC, Maryland and Virginia - Local Explorer (washingtonpost.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:29 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Have you never seen these maps before? Have you ever looked up what goes on in an area that you DO consider to be safe? I would tend to doubt it. Ask the people who live in these places and have for years and years how much concern they have over crime...

Old 05-24-2008, 08:34 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Invest in whatever you want, but that corridor is ridiculously safe. Sure, stuff happens, but compare it to practically any other part of any other major city and Arlington will come out per capita safer.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:38 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,104,940 times
As a single woman, I lived in the area for 7+ years and felt safe. Break-ins and thefts tend to be crimes of opportunity. If you feel the need for extra protection and are buying a home, you might want to invest in a security system rather than a gun.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:49 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Geez - where are you from? Carry a gun around Arlington? You gonna stake out a position behind some plastic stackers at Crate and Barrel?

I couldn't think of a safer area in any city.

Even DC's not dangerous outside of a few isolated neighborhoods. I've walked for hours on end all over DC. Relax. Put the guns away. Welcome to one of the best cities in the country.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:01 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,380,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Geez - where are you from? Carry a gun around Arlington? You gonna stake out a position behind some plastic stackers at Crate and Barrel?
I'd go for something in the non-fiction section of Barnes And Noble. Thugs can't see you through a bookshelf.

Then again, everyone knows the real gangbangers hang out at Cheesecake Factory.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:04 PM

36 posts, read 352,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

I couldn't think of a safer area in any city.

Even DC's not dangerous outside of a few isolated neighborhoods. I've walked for hours on end all over DC. Relax. Put the guns away. Welcome to one of the best cities in the country.
lol. When I see reports of ppl getting beatened in daylight, it does'nt bode well. but I'd be hiding behind steel curtains haha. Is it relatively safe to walk from clubs in DC to the metro and take it back to the Ballston area?

Old 05-25-2008, 04:47 AM

30 posts, read 80,791 times
We live in a very safe area now and do take advantage of our 2nd amendment rights.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post
lol. When I see reports of ppl getting beatened in daylight, it does'nt bode well. but I'd be hiding behind steel curtains haha. Is it relatively safe to walk from clubs in DC to the metro and take it back to the Ballston area?
You need to improve your grip on reality. Or perhaps you'd rather hear some reports of people being horribly mutilated in tragic encounters with runaway farm machinery...

Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger2008 View Post
We live in a very safe area now and do take advantage of our 2nd amendment rights.
Good for you. I'd rather invest in another length of garden hose. That's something I might actually have a need for one day. Keep in mind that having a gun in the home increases your chances of ultimately dying from gunfire by a factor of four...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC