U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:14 PM

672 posts, read 5,614,605 times

Advertisements

My DH and I just got back from yet another bad social event. We moved here a year and a half ago from the midwest, not knowing anyone. It has been really difficult to make friends, and unfortunately even after a year and a half we haven't made any friends yet.

Since we moved here not knowing anyone, we joined a bunch of social groups right when we moved here. Tonight we went to a holiday party from a new social group we joined. We thought from the theme of the group that we'd meet lots of 20's and 30's there--nope--the average age was about 60. Everyone else was 50-70 and the organizers told us they only have one person around our age (late 20's/early 30's), who wasn't at the party.

We keep striking out when it comes to joining groups to try to make friends. Most of the time, we end up at groups that are either meat markets, in which no one is looking to make a same sex friend, or they end up being groups for older people.

Any suggestions on newcomers groups or groups where we can meet other married couples for friendship? We're in our late 20's/early 30's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 AM

19,183 posts, read 29,787,970 times
Work? Alumni groups? Volunteer/charity groups? Rec Center classes? Try to figure out how and where people who might be of interest to you would be spending their time, then go over there and say hi. For a decent number of folks, you guys will seem like old-timers in the DC area, so be prepared on that score...

Old 12-02-2007, 12:56 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,703,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
My DH and I just got back from yet another bad social event. We moved here a year and a half ago from the midwest, not knowing anyone. It has been really difficult to make friends, and unfortunately even after a year and a half we haven't made any friends yet.

Since we moved here not knowing anyone, we joined a bunch of social groups right when we moved here. Tonight we went to a holiday party from a new social group we joined. We thought from the theme of the group that we'd meet lots of 20's and 30's there--nope--the average age was about 60. Everyone else was 50-70 and the organizers told us they only have one person around our age (late 20's/early 30's), who wasn't at the party.

We keep striking out when it comes to joining groups to try to make friends. Most of the time, we end up at groups that are either meat markets, in which no one is looking to make a same sex friend, or they end up being groups for older people.

Any suggestions on newcomers groups or groups where we can meet other married couples for friendship? We're in our late 20's/early 30's.
Hmm, that is interesting. I mean, I can see that the groups might be oriented around (a) singles (b) new moms or parents and I guess (c) seniors. Also, when I think of something like the Junior League, that is just for women, but you could meet women there (it's not the JL of yesteryear) and invite her with her spouse, etc.

Do you have any neighbors you like? Do you attend a church?

Old 12-02-2007, 06:10 PM

672 posts, read 5,614,605 times
I work in a very small department and haven't been able to make any friends there. My husband's work colleagues are all much older than us. I have tried my alumni group but it's very inactive, unfortunately. I have joined religious groups, but have found them to be either singles type events or more geared toward the older crowd. We've joined a number of general interest social groups, but again, they have all been singles there, and women don't want to waste their time talking to me when they could be chatting up some guy.

I need to try something else, because the approaches I've tried aren't working. I don't know anything about the Junior League--what is that? What I'd love to find is a group that meets regularly, and where it's the same people you see over and over, and where it's not a group geared toward singles. The groups we've joined are pretty much new faces every time, which makes it hard to get to know people. I have met about 3 married couples in the year and a half we've been here--I have no idea where they all are.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,446,262 times
We've moved so much in the past 3 years, I don't really bother too much to make the effort lately. That probably sounds sad, but it get old meeting people and then up and moving a couple months later. I have a small circle of friends I still keep in touch with that I met about 10 years ago. I met all but one of them at work, and thinking back when I was younger I only had a couple close friends and met them at school.

Someone on another thread mentioned meetup.com and they do seem to have social group for pretty much every interest. If you haven't maybe you could check them out.

good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,703,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
I work in a very small department and haven't been able to make any friends there. My husband's work colleagues are all much older than us. I have tried my alumni group but it's very inactive, unfortunately. I have joined religious groups, but have found them to be either singles type events or more geared toward the older crowd. We've joined a number of general interest social groups, but again, they have all been singles there, and women don't want to waste their time talking to me when they could be chatting up some guy.

I need to try something else, because the approaches I've tried aren't working. I don't know anything about the Junior League--what is that? What I'd love to find is a group that meets regularly, and where it's the same people you see over and over, and where it's not a group geared toward singles. The groups we've joined are pretty much new faces every time, which makes it hard to get to know people. I have met about 3 married couples in the year and a half we've been here--I have no idea where they all are.

Well, the Junior League of "yesteryear" was a very elite "ladies" club where they would sip tea and plan charity events. The Junior League of today meets regularly and does more hard-core charity things. I think on the website they address this perception. It has a very "upper class" connotation, but again, they're working for a more modern image and I think it's a very neat organization.

PS - HQ is in McLean. There might be a DC league and a Northern VA league (in McLean).

Old 12-02-2007, 09:04 PM

1 posts, read 6,388 times
Hi there,
My husband just accepted a job in DC and we have heard that it is difficult to make friends also. We are 35 and will be moving to the area in January. Perhaps we could talk about a meet-up.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 AM

3,258 posts, read 8,446,262 times
I still have a friend from school that lives in Manassas and to be honest, I think the people she mainly hangs out with are her sister and her friend Carla (only once in awhile) whom she met in school. She actually sought me out after about 5 years of no contact.
She is just so busy with work, kids and going to University also, I don't think she'd have a lot of time for too many other people.

I guess I don't get the whole concept of having lots of friends. I've always made it a point to just be friends with people I really "connect" with. It's so hard to trust people, with your belongings and the amount of infidelity that seems to happen with friends spouses etc...that's why I keep in touch with the "good" people I already know and trust.

If there aren't any you're interested in, you could start a meetup just for newcomers under 40.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 28,149 times
Try this site

Meetups]Meetups near Washington, DC - Meetup.com near Washington, DC - Meetup.com

I been to a few and they were cool

Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

4 posts, read 11,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty_Rosenthal View Post
Try this site

Meetups]Meetups near Washington, DC - Meetup.com near Washington, DC - Meetup.com

I been to a few and they were cool

i'm from the midwest, and DC socializing seems very very regimented.
people are very nice, they just need a reason to talk to you, other than
proximity.

you will have to join one of those social networks, a softball team,
a political group, an adult kickball team, outdoor group. the "meetups" are good.

do you have long-time hobbies? these are great ways to open people up.
way more so in DC. wine tastings are good. cooking classes.
embassy events. formal gatherings.

i would pick what you like to do, then find your group/friends around it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC