Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 05:25 AM

12 posts, read 21,164 times

Advertisements

So I am graduating a trade school for industrial electricity and I was interviewed for a position in an apprenticeship in downtown DC. I was told today that I may have gotten the position. I have a couple of questions.

1) this apprenticeship pays $17.50 and hour and after each year I get a $1-2 dollar raise. After the program (which for me will take 3.5 years, I could average 40/Hr starting. I will be getting a guaranteed 40+ hours a week plus traveling expenses for the metro. I understand I will have to live in Northern Virginia or Southern Maryland, but where would you choose to live if you had my budget? I've been looking at apartments with roommates in Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington for a decent price.

2) I used to live in DC when my dad was stationed here, I have only been away for a year and a half. I graduated high school here and took a couple years of college here and while I was here I noticed that a lot of the social scene is centered around college graduates and government workers. While this is a government apprenticeship I still have this feeling that I may not settle in the area and make new friends because I have no degree. What are your tips to making friends?

I really want to m are this move last and I will be staying with my parents in Fairfax county until I get settled. I had to move because of the last of a sufficient job so I move to Tennessee where my mom is from to get a trade school education. I really want to stay in the area this time. I do plan to go back to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 07:44 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,573,997 times
Don't assume that you can't live in DC itself. Arlington and Alexandria aren't that much cheaper than DC. You can find a roommate situation in DC proper in a decent neighborhood for about as cheap as $750 a month. I doubt you could find anything much cheaper than that in Arlington or Alexandria. In Virginia, you do tend to get more space for your money, but you also could have a longer commute to downtown DC than if you lived in DC itself, so you have to balance that.

Fairfax is a long commute to downtown DC. I doubt you could find rent there cheap enough to justify the extra time and costs commuting.

By the way, Southern Maryland usually refers to the Western Shore like Calvert County, most of which is too far from DC for a comfortable commute. The Maryland suburbs like Silver Spring and College Park are actually more in the central part of the state. You might be able to find something for under $750 there, but I don't know if that's worth the extra time commuting.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:42 AM

273 posts, read 348,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommymac92 View Post
So I am graduating a trade school for industrial electricity and I was interviewed for a position in an apprenticeship in downtown DC. I was told today that I may have gotten the position. I have a couple of questions.

1) this apprenticeship pays $17.50 and hour and after each year I get a $1-2 dollar raise. After the program (which for me will take 3.5 years, I could average 40/Hr starting. I will be getting a guaranteed 40+ hours a week plus traveling expenses for the metro. I understand I will have to live in Northern Virginia or Southern Maryland, but where would you choose to live if you had my budget? I've been looking at apartments with roommates in Fairfax, Alexandria and Arlington for a decent price.

2) I used to live in DC when my dad was stationed here, I have only been away for a year and a half. I graduated high school here and took a couple years of college here and while I was here I noticed that a lot of the social scene is centered around college graduates and government workers. While this is a government apprenticeship I still have this feeling that I may not settle in the area and make new friends because I have no degree. What are your tips to making friends?

I really want to m are this move last and I will be staying with my parents in Fairfax county until I get settled. I had to move because of the last of a sufficient job so I move to Tennessee where my mom is from to get a trade school education. I really want to stay in the area this time. I do plan to go back to school.
Congratulations! It sounds like you are off and running. DC is one of the best job markets in the country, so you're smart to come here to build your career and life, even if it takes some struggle and sacrifice for a few years.

Like the other poster said, you don't have to rule out DC. In fact, there are parts that are still pretty reasonable -- they just aren't in the dead center of all the action, like on 14th street. Check out places around the Rhode Island Avenue metro in NE or even up on Rhode Island Avenue farther from the metro. DC's weird history with race relations makes people think those areas are frightening war zones, but they're not at all. In fact, they're pretty nice, just more blue collar-type than white collar. I live close to that area and go through it all the time, so I'm not just speculating.

A group house is also the way to go. Not only is it cheaper, it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:17 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
As a skilled tradesperson you will be fine. It's other blue collar workers who struggle here.
Also the entire area is pretty expensive, not just DC. With that being said...you can probably afford it with that wage. I would look into hyattesville at first, then maybe moving to DC or anywhere you want once you reach your full salary.
Contrary to popular belief Northern Virginia is more expensive than DC in many places. Maryland probably has the best value, especially as a single person. Most of the tradespeople I know live in northern montgomery or some of the better areas of PG.

Also places in Takoma and Silver Spring are within reach for your salary.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:14 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,795,292 times
The only white blue collar workers I see in the DC area are ones who drive in from West Virginia each day and do tree work and odd jobs. This is the worst place for blue collar working class folks in America.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 AM

12 posts, read 21,164 times
Just found out that I got it! I will be staying with mom till I find a place. I have about $4,500 in savings with no debt so after some scouting out im sure I will find an apartment. I was told that most work is in Arlington and Alexandria so I will try and stay as close to those cities as I can.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:35 PM

465 posts, read 657,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicamerican View Post
Congratulations! It sounds like you are off and running. DC is one of the best job markets in the country, so you're smart to come here to build your career and life, even if it takes some struggle and sacrifice for a few years.

Like the other poster said, you don't have to rule out DC. In fact, there are parts that are still pretty reasonable -- they just aren't in the dead center of all the action, like on 14th street. Check out places around the Rhode Island Avenue metro in NE or even up on Rhode Island Avenue farther from the metro. DC's weird history with race relations makes people think those areas are frightening war zones, but they're not at all. In fact, they're pretty nice, just more blue collar-type than white collar. I live close to that area and go through it all the time, so I'm not just speculating.

A group house is also the way to go. Not only is it cheaper, it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck!
What's weird about DC's history with race relations??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC